Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing KYB's and H&R Sport springs. Front strut wont fit snug in fork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing KYB's and H&R Sport springs. Front strut wont fit snug in fork?

Hey guys, its has been ten years since i have installed springs on my car so my memory is a little fuzzy.

I am ready to mate the lower strut to the fork, but i noticed that the collar does not go all the way around the KYB strut. It doesnt seem like a "snug" fit.

The factory strut fit perfectly and snug in the fork.

Can someone shed some light on this?

As you can see, the old stock strut on the (right) fits perfectly into the fork. The kyb not so much... :-/ This is a little concerning to me.
    Also notice that the collar on the KYB does not go all the way around the strut.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by deapost; 07-15-2017, 12:47 AM.

sure, the lowest part of the strut is tapered... but further up it is wider. Is it not a close fit whatsoever, like it rattles around loose? The collar not being all the way around isn't a huge deal I don't think, they probably confirmed that it is merely there for the alignment tab, and brake line bracket. If I were you I would try sliding the fork all the way up until the alignment tab (of the collar) is in the gap of the fork, and tighten the 14mm cross-bolt. I assume it is friction-fit and should grip once tightened down...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

CP mike, long time no talk!

The fork will grab the KYB strut no problem once the bolt tightned. Its just that the stock strut fit so much "nicer" thats for sure.

The brake line mounts align perfectly as well, and the alignment tab is also where it is suppose to be so that is not a issue.

Any additional information / tips is always appreciated. The suspension is so important,your life depends on it - so i just make sure to take my time, not rush, and question everything to make sure it is done right!

Thanks
      Last edited by deapost; 07-15-2017, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Also, notice on the far right that aluminum collar?

Each KYB came with one. What were those used for, i couldnt find a purpose for it.

It was in the same little bag that the locktight nut came with.

Comment

As long as the fork tightens down on the body of the strut, then you're good. The notch in the body should further prevent the strut from separating from the fork as well once the bolt is secured.
          Last edited by apalileo; 07-15-2017, 05:30 AM.
          1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

When the unit is together the bolt goes through slot on the strut.

Comment

As for the little spacer that was packaged with the lock nut, I would disregard it. I don't know of anywhere in the front suspension that it would be applicable. I'm assuming that the bag is not vehicle specific so there may other vehicle applications where the same size lock nut is used, and that spacer is needed somewhere in the installation process. They probably have all of those lock nuts pre-bagged with that spacer and then add one bag with each strut in the packaging stage.

As long as you've got the strut seated in the fork properly, the washers and bushings in order in the top hat and everything securely torqued down it will operate safely and properly.
              1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Thanks guys. I always appreciate the help from the CB7 Community. Great cars, lets keep em looking good and running great!

Comment

Working...
                X