Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

lock up works backwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lock up works backwards

The final lock up gear in my honda works backwards basically.

When I simply cruise at 55-65 it's disengaged , when I accelerate (say from 55 to 65) it will then lock up.

92 accord lx wagon auto

i think mine does that too, like say youre cruising along, up to speed, itll be low pitched then high pitched. then when you ease into accelerating itll jump up then down..hard to put in words, but i was wondering this the other day. Im not sure where or if there is a TCC plug that couldve been reversed with one similar.. this is in the 93 SE though

Comment

Well at least somebody else has the same issue.I'm guessing it's some sort of sensor or adjustment because the actual converter works fine , it just doesn't know when.

Comment

mine does it to it is normal i assure you. here is why:

The vacuum relay valve works with the thermal vacuum valve to keep engine vacuum from reaching the low vacuum valve switch at low engine temperatures. This action prevents the clutch from engaging while the engine is still warming up. The delay valve slows the response of the low vacuum switch to changes in engine vacuum. This action prevents the low vacuum switch from causing the converter clutch to engage and disengage too rapidly. The low vacuum switch deactivates the converter clutch when engine vacuum drops to a specific low level during moderate acceleration just before a part-throttle transmission downshift. The low vacuum switch also deactivates the clutch while the vehicle is coasting because it receives no vacuum from its ported vacuum source.
        visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by RyanD View Post

The vacuum relay valve works with the thermal vacuum valve to keep engine vacuum from reaching the low vacuum valve switch at low engine temperatures. This action prevents the clutch from engaging while the engine is still warming up. The delay valve slows the response of the low vacuum switch to changes in engine vacuum. This action prevents the low vacuum switch from causing the converter clutch to engage and disengage too rapidly. The low vacuum switch deactivates the converter clutch when engine vacuum drops to a specific low level during moderate acceleration just before a part-throttle transmission downshift. The low vacuum switch also deactivates the clutch while the vehicle is coasting because it receives no vacuum from its ported vacuum source.

Ok that's really great but why the hell does it even exist then? lol

I was honestly under the impression it was supposed to work as a 5th gear of sorts. So the locking gear is literally only used when accelerating in 4th gear?

Comment

Originally posted by RyanD View Post

so wheres this relay valve located? Id still have to say somethings wack about the way its working (mine at least). is there a way to just disable the lockup solenoid, I dont care about OD, and usually when it starts being retarded I beat on it like a rented mule

Comment

I'd much rather HAVE an overdrive.

The auto trans desperately needs a 5th gear for highway driving. I'm driving at 65mph at 3000 freaken rpms. It's such a waste of fuel and so unnecessary.

Case and point , my stick shift has a 5th gear and is 400rpm lower at 65 , and go figure it gets better mpg.

Thats why I want this lockup to work better.

Comment

Originally posted by emosun View Post
                I'd much rather HAVE an overdrive.

The auto trans desperately needs a 5th gear for highway driving. I'm driving at 65mph at 3000 freaken rpms. It's such a waste of fuel and so unnecessary.

Case and point , my stick shift has a 5th gear and is 400rpm lower at 65 , and go figure it gets better mpg.

Thats why I want this lockup to work better.
                maybe the clutches in the TC are used up from yours and previous TCM issues, mines like it slips in and out, hunting almost, till I either let off or give it some gas then itll even out its been doing it since it got it..in town below 40 im in D3 if D4 slowly I putt...Sad to see you go, but love to watch you leave..cant wait for the changeup..

Comment

There is a cable from the throttle to a valve arm on the transmission that affects clutch lockup. With the lever held down, the cable should have no slack. It can be adjusted a turn or two either way to the driver's preference. My EX worked backwards until I tightened it a little (if I remember correctly).
                  Last edited by Fleetw00d; 04-25-2013, 10:21 PM.
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                    There is a cable from the throttle to a valve arm on the transmission that affects clutch lockup. With the lever held down, the cable should have no slack. It can be adjusted a turn or tow either way to the driver's preference. My EX worked backwards until I tightened it a little (if I remember correctly).
                    Thank god something to try! lol. Could you perhaps highlight that cable on the engine with ms paint maybe? or the adjustment?

edit: nevermind i found it , is it suppose to be very tight when in the fully down position? it has a slight wobble to the cable. would that be enough to cause the issue?
                    Last edited by emosun; 04-17-2013, 12:29 AM.

Comment

There is a cable from the throttle to a valve arm on the transmission that affects clutch lockup. With the lever held down, the cable should have no slack. It can be adjusted a turn or tow either way to the driver's preference. My EX worked backwards until I tightened it a little (if I remember correctly).
                      thanks, thats actually one of the first things I had to replace when I got the car, since the ball on the fork end rotted off or w/e and was never fixed.
                      Ill check it out in the morning.

------------------------

Last edited by illinois_erik; 04-17-2013, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Initial adjustment should be checked by having the car at full operating temp. and the throttle cable freeplay correctly set. Place one hand on the arm on the trans (circled in yellow in above pic) and with the other operate the throttle. The arm on the trans should start to move right when the engine rpms increase. Loosen the locknuts on the cable at the trans and adjust the cable length until this occurs. Test drive the car and check to see if it stays locked up at steady throttle with speeds over 45 mph.(engine at full operating temp, TC will not lock up on cold engine) Readjust if it does not. You may need to make multiple adjustments either making the cable tighter/shorter or looser/longer from the base setting to get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post

jeez thats a clean looking engine. my engine is like a ball of rust covered in gunk lol

It so weird , all the little bolts and everything don't even have any rust. I bet the bolts come right out without breaking off.

Comment

That's the kick down cable iirc
                            visit vgruk

Comment

So will adjusting the kick down cable effect the overdrive?

Comment

Working...
                              X