Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

90 Lx Won't Start In Heat of Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90 Lx Won't Start In Heat of Day

Ok, I'm new here, and I'm sorry if ya'll have already addressed this same problem. If so, could someone reroute me to the proper thread, thanks.

Anway...

During the heat of the day my car won't start, I've tried starter fluid and that use to fix the issue, but it no longer helps. I know the car runs because at night, once the sun goes down the car runs like a charm. So it appears to be heat related. (in the winter it didn't have this problem)
    Key things I notice when it won't start are the windows were up (anymore it doesn't matter); It's warm or humid outside; the car will crank over; she'll also run on the ether until it uses it all up. And at night, after cranking it over all day, it will start up without a struggle, like it was running perfectly.
    I've also tried taking the gas cap off when it doesn't start, my mechanic told me that might do the trick... But it doesn't, haha. I've started to leave a thermometer in the car so that I can note the temps at which it won't start. It appears that if it's hotter than about 87 degrees chances are it's going to be a driveway ornament for the day.
    The wierdest thing is when I take it to my mechanic it will start straight on up in the middle of the day...

The only thing I can figure is that it's... POSSESSED!!! Dun Dah Dun... ok sorry for the corniness...
    but if any of ya'll can help me I guess you'll know what to do.

I'm afraid i'm just going to end up replacing pieces until something works, unfortunatley i don't have the money to do that. Which means I might have to sell it, which is even worse because I love the car. But I need something that will be reliable so I can get to band practices, shows, etc.

Any help would be appreciated
    90 LX, 270,XXX miles strong!

i was born it chesapeake i love the south so different from up here all these yuppiville northerners. anyways i have a 90 lx as well it seems ive run into that problem also. during the middle of the day(hot point) or so if ive been running the car for 20 30 min or so and it gets real hot and i cut off the ignition and try to cut it back on 2 or maybe 3 min later it will turn but no start. i usually have to wait another 5 min let it cool down and then it will start back up. so im starting to believe you have a more aggrivated case of overheat than mine. i feel as if its the same thing with my car yet its only showing minor symptoms of a huge sickness to come. id be curious how i can prevent for me and for you to reverse this overheat issue and get your car running back up to normal. im not very car savvy but i am in the learning process. have you check the radiator? your filled up on coolant and water? a radiator flush is simple i can send you pictures of how i did mine if you dont know how i just did mine. other than the radiator i dont know? we well find out we just have to wait for more ppl to see the thread

Comment

quite sure this DIY would solve your problem..

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=relay

Comment

ok, thanks, someone already PM'd me about the main relay and i'll check into it, sounds like that'll fix the issue.

Comment

the main relay is a very cheap fix if you know how to solder.

Comment

soldering is a piece of cake, the only odd thing is if it's a bad relay then soldering wont do squat, but if it's the solder joints on the board then that's an easy fix.

assuming the relay is bad will i be able to get one at the autoparts store or do i get a "junkyard special"?

Comment

Yep that did it... thanks for the help, i took a look at the solder joints and they all looked fine but i went and knocked the old solder off and resoldered it all. The car runs like a charm now! Thanks!

Comment

I just soldered my main relay today, super easy. I still think i'm going to get a few extras from the Junkyard and solder those as well, just in case.

Comment

I tried to post in that DIY thread that was posted, but I don't have access to post in the forum, so I'm posting here. Is one of the symptoms of the main relay being bad a rough start sometimes? There's been a few times when I go start the car after it's warm (the day may not be scorching, but the car is definintely warm) and it cranks, but doesn't start. I wait a few minutes, and it'll start right up. It'll also occasionally take a good while to finally start up when I start the car when it's cold. Do you guys think I would benefit from the main relay fix?

Comment

Sounds like the symptoms to me.

My swap thread
                    Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

I have the same problem, it has issues starting when the block is completely cooled, but when its a hot day, and my car is parked in a place that gets alot of sun normally. When i go to start my car, it just cranks, but doesn't start, i pop the hood, open the air filter box, spray a shot of liquid fire, close the filter box, hop inside my car to start it, turn it over, it starts up, have to keep the pedal slightly on the gas, or it will die, it revs to about 2k, the engine stumbles for a split second (gas starvation? ), and starts running nice and smooth, if i don't let the car warm up completely, then the problem will persist, but if the car is warmed up all the way, before i shut her off, she won't have the problem again, until she is cools all the way down, but by then, the ambient temperature has gone down to the point it doesn't matter.

So does this problem sound like the main relay problem everyone has mentioned?
                      PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Well, its the Main FUEL PUMP Relay. So, yea, i can cause the problems you are describing. It is very easy to remove and solder, just uncomfortable as you have to kinda lay in your floorboard. I would advise you to go ahead and do it, if it isnt bad this summer it probably will go bad one summer in the future.

The only other things that would cause your car to act like you describe would be constant. If your car runs like a champ in milder tempratures, then its pretty safe money its the relay.

-yoss

Comment

Originally posted by chuck953
                          I tried to post in that DIY thread that was posted, but I don't have access to post in the forum, so I'm posting here. Is one of the symptoms of the main relay being bad a rough start sometimes? There's been a few times when I go start the car after it's warm (the day may not be scorching, but the car is definintely warm) and it cranks, but doesn't start. I wait a few minutes, and it'll start right up. It'll also occasionally take a good while to finally start up when I start the car when it's cold. Do you guys think I would benefit from the main relay fix?

Possibly, since its so easy and cheap, I would at least try.

Comment

Thanks for the info, and the link to the DIY, i yanked mine today, and had my dad, who's an electronic communication engineer, who does this stuff all the time, said that one of the points looked cracked, so he used solder wick to remove the old solder, then applied new fresh solder to all the points. Its reinstalled, car is working normally, but the conditions that seemed to cause the problem in the first place, hasn't occurred again yet, so i'm going to keep my finger crossed. I'll let you know if the problem occurs again. Thanks guys!
                            PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Alright it's been a few months now since I resoldered the joints. I haven't had any more problems with the car not starting, thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X