Reversed Head H22's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reversed Head H22's

I was recently introduced to the idea of the reversed head H22's that used to be utilized in the JTCC and BTCC CD Accords. Has anyone done a reversed head swap in a CB? I know there's an Odyssey out there with the swap, but will it fit and work in a CB? It's definitely got pros in that your intake temps are almost 30 degrees cooler and makes ITB setups a lot easier considering the confines of our engine bays. Obviously a custom header and I believe an external coil setup is needed, but I figured if it works in a CB, it would be the direction I'm going in when I get a hold of an H22.
    Pics to give you guys an idea of what I'm talking about:

Basic Process List:
    *Possibly a new crankshaft.
    *"Neil Brown" head gasket is needed for the reversal.
    *Modify camshafts to fit in the head backwards and to use a smaller cam seal.
    *Reroute the high pressure oil line for lubricating the cams.
    *Insulate oil lines since they will be located in the area of where the header would be located.
    *Relocate oil filter.
    *Run oil lines so that VTEC can engage properly (possibly the most difficult part).
    *Use another system for fuel ignition since the distributor has clearance issues with the thermostat housing.
    *Possibly ITB setup and custom header.
    Last edited by Mike1357; 10-11-2010, 03:23 AM.

how the??
    wth
    ive never seen this before lol
    seems like you would have a hard time with timing and swapping the cam gears and everything
    thats weird but i def wanna read up on some more
    -Tyler

Comment

I've actually scraped the surface with it, but essentially it's a special head gasket and putting the cams on a lathe to take off a bit on the ends. Oh and something with the crank as well. another pic:

Comment

Wow. I never heard of this. Or seen it. I would like to see how this works. Looks interesting!

Rip It Up
        Sold to: nightime25, MyDianaz06, Accord214 and 408cb7

Bought from:Rob_is_Legend, MonoCB7, Fatboy1185, Flatline and busak87

i vouch for my Brothas

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
          I've actually scraped the surface with it, but essentially it's a special head gasket and putting the cams on a lathe to take off a bit on the ends. Oh and something with the crank as well.
          I imagine the oil feed port would also have to me modified (custom machined and drilled to allow camshaft oil feeds) which is probably the biggest part of the swap.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

There are 2 guys I heard of in cali that has this setup. Not sure if they're members are not
            NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
            DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

One Word,

epic.

Originally posted by Makaveli2k
              White girls make the world go round. If I were to be stranded on an island and I could only 3 things to bring with me It'd be 2 different white girls. And a Smashing pumpkins Cd... I hear they like that shit. =p

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                I imagine the oil feed port would also have to me modified (custom machined and drilled to allow camshaft oil feeds) which is probably the biggest part of the swap.
                Yes, that's true. I did a bit more reading and you have to run hoses for VTEC to be oiled properly and for it to engage properly because the racing cars eliminated VTEC. It's not necessarily an easy swap, but the processes you have to go thru are easier than most, just time consuming. I'll do some more reading and edit the first post with the basics as well as make a new post with them.

I think it's only been done with long blocks but I don't see why it isn't possible with a short block.

Comment

Here we go. Basic Process List:
                  *Possibly a new crankshaft.
                  *"Neil Brown" head gasket is needed for the reversal.
                  *Modify camshafts to fit in the head backwards and to use a smaller cam seal.
                  *Reroute the high pressure oil line for lubricating the cams.
                  *Insulate oil lines since they will be located in the area of where the header would be located.
                  *Relocate oil filter.
                  *Run oil lines so that VTEC can engage properly (possibly the most difficult part).
                  *Use another system for fuel ignition since the distributor has clearance issues with the thermostat housing.
                  *Possibly ITB setup and custom header

Comment

me and oneoffaccord were looking into this it pretty sick, good job on the info

^^MY OLD RIDE
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3052591 <<**CURRENT DA9 BUILD**

Comment

cool....but what binifits will this have?

Comment

Roughly 30-40 degrees cooler intake temps, more room for an ITB setup, probably a few others...

Comment

possibly even the jackson racing supercharger...

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

It is an awesome idea and a possible one at that considering, as mentioned, the JGTC accord had it done that way but. that is in an EXTREMELY competitive enviroment where any advantage at all it welcome because EVERYTHING is so close and it could come down to engine temps and small factors as such, but in the real world, this is a LOT of work and headache and fabrication for very little reward performance wise. ITBs can be done with less thought than flipping the head and as for engine temps, a few washers to raise the hood like a cowl would do the trick just as well with reports of 20 degree bay temps drops, which is significant. all i am trying to say is its probably more trouble than its worth. probably cheaper to just put a K20 swap in the and you are already better off for comparable price lol

-sean
                            Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
                            Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

Ok imna specify something real quick, just to save on some confusion:

a longblock consist of the entire mchanical engine setup, I.E. Block, innards, head, innards, etc.

A shortblock is simply the bottom end and it's innards. I.E. Block, crank, pistons/rods, oilpan, etc.

That is all.....

Now, regarding flipping the head..... Ya, it's cool and all, but IMHO not worth it for anything other than a full race/show car. That's jus my .02
                              '92 h22 CBMRT-->http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=158641

UNICORNS=donkeys with plungers stuck to their faces...

Comment

Working...
                              X