Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Sub box and Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub box and Amp

So I just bought two 10" Kicker Comp subs. Going to be delivered today. I want to make sure I get an amp that pairs nicely with them. The power rating is 50-150 watts RMS with a peak of 300 watts (times 2). What amp should I get. I am also running off stock alt and battery, however just replaced both, with high quality stuff, but I don't want to ruin them.

And, I dont feel like buying an expensive box, but how on earth do you make a good ported box. I found the site with the specs for these subs and the dimensions they need, but I just don't know how, other than to use MDF. Anyways, I'm pretty much a newbie at this stuff, I installed a deck and some speakers but nothing additional.

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

are they comp vr's or just regular comp's?/ if comp vr's im told to use a rockford fosgate 6001 amp all shops that i spoke to said its one of the best combos if u have reg comp's sony explode or a kicker 550.2 but i lean more towards the kicker amp i had it and wish i kept it sold it to a friend 3 yrs ago and hes still knoccin
    sold to the highest bidding stanger i miss this bitch
    the 93 ex to come soon

Comment

i live in lakewood/tacoma and i have a freind that has a enclosed box for two tens w/ plexi glass. he was telling me that it was built to mimic the way bose speakers work. (the ported area goes under the subs and then off to either side... or sumthin like that) if your interested i can talk to him and he will probaly sell it for like $50

P.M. if your interested

Comment

Originally posted by oranger
        So I just bought two 10" Kicker Comp subs. Going to be delivered today. I want to make sure I get an amp that pairs nicely with them. The power rating is 50-150 watts RMS with a peak of 300 watts (times 2). What amp should I get. I am also running off stock alt and battery, however just replaced both, with high quality stuff, but I don't want to ruin them.

And, I dont feel like buying an expensive box, but how on earth do you make a good ported box. I found the site with the specs for these subs and the dimensions they need, but I just don't know how, other than to use MDF. Anyways, I'm pretty much a newbie at this stuff, I installed a deck and some speakers but nothing additional.

dude sony xplod 4ways or infinity speakers with 2 infinty sub wofers a infinity sub amp is the way to go!
        back at it again

Comment

Originally posted by i-07
          dude sony xplod 4ways or infinity speakers with 2 infinty sub wofers a infinity sub amp is the way to go!
          yeah...ummm...wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by bmxboi23
            i live in lakewood/tacoma and i have a freind that has a enclosed box for two tens w/ plexi glass. he was telling me that it was built to mimic the way bose speakers work. (the ported area goes under the subs and then off to either side... or sumthin like that) if your interested i can talk to him and he will probaly sell it for like $50

P.M. if your interested
            Thats called a band pass box... They do nothing to "mimic" BOSE speakers. They just give loud sloppy bass.

Comment

Speaking about amps... I have a Precision Power PC2600 for sale. Here are some specs...

Key Features
              Amplifier Type Dual Channel
              RMS Power at 4 Ohms 2 W x 300
              RMS Power at 2 Ohms 1 W x 300
              Performance
              Signal to Noise Ratio 300 dB
              THD at Rated RMS Power 90 %
              Crossover / Equalizer
              Bass Boost Frequency 90 Hz
              Other Features
              Input Voltage 24 volt
              Dimensions
              Width 60 in.
              Height 2.25 in.

Comment

Originally posted by CustomLowz
                Thats called a band pass box... They do nothing to "mimic" BOSE speakers. They just give loud sloppy bass.
                actually sir, your full of shit. we hooked it up in my car w/ a couple of jls i think and it thumped clean. it hit harder then the 12s and rattled the mirror less.

Comment

actually sir, your full of shit. we hooked it up in my car w/ a couple of jls i think and it thumped clean. it hit harder then the 12s and rattled the mirror less.
                  Ok your majesty, whatever you say. You apparently know whole lot more about car audio, than anybody else on the boards. I bow down to you.

Comment

customlowz knows what hes talking about..i've seen his setup and it sick! xplode is shit...even circuity city told me that it was lowend and that it was better to save for something better.

the comps are great, i have 3 12's with an MA audio amplifier, and they thump very clean...people can hear me from pretty darn far away.
                    Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

Originally posted by CustomLowz
                      haha. can't be more concise and precise than that.

But back to the original topic, just add up the RMS wattage for the two subs, or 300 watts rms, get a mono block amp with 300 watts rms rating, wire it up, and you'll be fine.

In terms of a box, you might as well just buy a MDF sealed one first. Once you figure out how to build a ported one that actually sounds decent, then use it and sell the sealed box. Might as well use your subs when you get them rather than wait until you build a ported box. Plus which, sealed boxes have good reputations.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but really the main benefit of having a ported box is cause its louder. If you wanted louder subs you might as well have just gotten subs rated at higher RMS wattage. But whatever, since you've already bought the subs, you might as well try out a sealed box until you can get a hold of a good ported box.

Good luck with whatever you do. Hope you enjoy your system.

Comment

Building your own subwoofer box isn't too hard. I'm no professional and I built one without any leaks. Here's the site I used...it's a good walkthrough.

Crutchfield Build Your Own Box

Comment

hey customlowz, i have a phoenix gold system; 2 12s i havent put it in. but i was told an individually sealed box is best for them, but someone else said that b/c their dual voice coil that i should port the box.. im no expert, and thier are too many ways to set it up for me to want to try. wat do u guys thnk for them?

Comment

i've got 2 kicker cvr's 12's with a rockford p600.2? i think it is amp, its a 2 channel 600 watt amp and that thing bumps extremely loud, its also in a sealed box... hopefully that helps you out...

Comment

Wow, thanks ya'll. Yea last couple days I did a little researching, they are just the Comp nor VR. Thank you dben! I bought the subs on crutchfield and so returned to their website, saw that same page! It was helpful. I am planning on building a ported box. Bandpass is too much thump, but I want people to know I'm there, so not sealed. I already drew up the designs, it doesn't look that hard, a few hours on a Saturday maybe. But I have to wait till next payday cuz I have 10 bucks to make it two weeks, gas aint that cheap. Anyways, thakns for all the help...!!

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Comment

Working...
                              X