CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Site Features > Members' Rides

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 03-01-2018, 08:36 PM   #681
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

NH-503P-3 is cool... so far.
The 5th gen “queludes” pop up often in the paps down here in So Cal. I can’t seem to find a good center console yet. They all have some kind of damage from people ripping at them. I’m thinking of getting an M2Y4 also. It’s not too bad of an H22 tranny. That’s a really good price you got your tranny for Rilas. One down here would be like $180.
NH-503P-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:15 AM   #682
Chrisnick
CB7tuner Member

Chrisnick is cool... so far.
Nice progress updates! Good to see it coming together.

Which camshaft did you decide to use with the VTEC head? The factory camshaft is pretty disappointing, but delivers a decent torque curve to about 4k.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread
Chrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #683
Rilas
CB7tuner Member

Rilas seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH-503P-3 View Post
The 5th gen ďqueludesĒ pop up often in the paps down here in So Cal. I canít seem to find a good center console yet. They all have some kind of damage from people ripping at them. Iím thinking of getting an M2Y4 also. Itís not too bad of an H22 tranny. Thatís a really good price you got your tranny for Rilas. One down here would be like $180.
No worries on the center console. I'm a patient guy. I'm sure you'll find one eventually or I will. Yeah the prices at the junkyard I frequent are awesome. I always complain when going to other junkyards about the ridiculous prices for stuff. I finally got the M2Y4 installed. At least I know for sure it's a good transmission. I drove it for the first time since swapping in the transmission this last weekend, to get the car aligned today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnick View Post
Nice progress updates! Good to see it coming together.

Which camshaft did you decide to use with the VTEC head? The factory camshaft is pretty disappointing, but delivers a decent torque curve to about 4k.
Still working on the specs for a cam. As I still need to come up with cash for the valves, and valve springs. Then I can worry about getting something with the cam done. I think I'm getting the short block back this coming week. I'm somewhat stoked about that. Until I realize that now I need to give Honda $400 in bearings/gaskets/o-rings. That's just for the short block. I'm slowly making progress. I seriously need to finish my side IT job. I just have one thing left to do, I'm just being lazy. Also I need to wrap up old Lola so I can sell her. Either of those would help. It doesn't help that I'm also working on prepping the car for SCCA auto cross season. Tech inspection and some testing is this coming Sunday.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #684
Rilas
CB7tuner Member

Alright guys. While I still haven't had any time to sit at my computer and actually upload pictures. I'm still taking pictures of what I'm working on I promise. We still have house guests though and I've been working on overhauling the entire LAN in the house. I still have a little bit to wrap up with that then, maybe just maybe I can get pictures taken care of.

I've decided that I'm going to try and do a season of SCCA auto cross. So I've been working on getting all of the stuff done, that tech inspection might not like. Such as having only 3 of 4 brackets bolted down on the drivers seat. Taking care of my only oil leak, by installing a Fumoto oil drain valve. The aluminum OEM crush washers were always leaking oil, with this oil pan. I got 2 new front tires, soon to be followed by 2 new rear tires. I bought some Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 204/45 R17's. Also since I'm sure the auto cross guys are going to love the fact that I swap engines in the middle of the season, I figured I had better not be swapping transmissions in the middle of the season as well. I've spend my free time in the last 2 weeks just working on cleaning up the M2Y4 transmission. I finally got that finished up and installed it this past Saturday. I also finally managed to get the cruise control wired in. Thank god, my ankle get so tired after about 2 hours of holding the throttle pedal down. I still need to get the neutral safety switch wired in. I've begun running some wires, but I don't have wire harness plug for the clutch interlock switch, which leaves this at a bit of a standstill.

News on the F23A1. The block is fully bored for the K24Z3 pistons, fully balanced rotating assembly, micro polished crank, new rod bushings in the KStuned rods, balance shaft eliminator kit installed, oil pump is in good condition (all specs fall in the middle of Honda's specs), rear and front main seals pressed in. They might have done something else for me, I just can't remember off the top of my head. Anyway I need to get this paid for, so I can start to focus on the head instead of the block.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:37 PM   #685
Mike1357
CB7tuner Member

Mike1357 is cool... so far.
I'm interested to see how you place in Autocross. I've heard when you actually get put into the correct class it's hard to compete with other cars in your class. I'd also like to get your impressions on that oil drain valve. I don't care for the stock drain plugs
Old 03-20-2018, 10:39 PM   #686
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

Rilas, let me know how you like those Cooper tires. I haven’t heard a bad review from most Cooper tire owners I know and I know allot because Cooper owns Mickey Thompson which I work for. I’m in a mostly Cooper building also. M/T only has like the back corner of a massive warehouse. I’ve been contemplating a set of Honda Pilot 17” wheels to roll on and I was looking at the same tires. My Tacoma has Cooper discoverer a/t and they are a very good tire for trucks also. Made in the USA too.

~Mark~
Old 03-21-2018, 08:28 AM   #687
Rilas
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1357 View Post
I'm interested to see how you place in Autocross. I've heard when you actually get put into the correct class it's hard to compete with other cars in your class. I'd also like to get your impressions on that oil drain valve. I don't care for the stock drain plugs
Yeah I'm somewhat scared of what class they are going to put me in. Either way I don't really care though honestly. They are going to let me drive the hell out of my car on a course, I'm sold on that. Also I'm wondering if "down grading" to the F23A1 will help my car into a lower class. Since it's not the renowned H22. Either way, like you Mike I would at least like to prove that my car can be quicker than sports cars, even if they are in a different class. To really compete though, I feel like I need to get my ass in gear and get a Qualfie LSD. I'm sure it would make very spirited driving more fun as well.

I'm going to put the drain valve in either tonight or tomorrow night, as I need to drain the oil to swap it. I'm pretty excited about this mod, I just wish I could swap it without draining the oil. I think I have about 600 miles on it, so it doesn't really need it. I did put some Seafoam in the crankcase though just to help clean things up.

Quote:
Rilas, let me know how you like those Cooper tires. I havenít heard a bad review from most Cooper tire owners I know and I know allot because Cooper owns Mickey Thompson which I work for. Iím in a mostly Cooper building also. M/T only has like the back corner of a massive warehouse. Iíve been contemplating a set of Honda Pilot 17Ē wheels to roll on and I was looking at the same tires. My Tacoma has Cooper discoverer a/t and they are a very good tire for trucks also. Made in the USA too.
I've had Cooper Zeon RS3-A 205/45R17 84Z SL on the car for 2 years and loved them. I'm hoping that these new ones are only an improvement upon those tires. Since you work in a tire factory / warehouse, how do you properly heat cycle these tires? I had them out on the highway yesterday, ran at about 90 MPH for about 20 miles, then back home and parked the car for the night. I'm not sure if I need to use them a bit more aggressively to get them "hot" enough to heat cycle them.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #688
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

Rilas, unfortunately I don’t work in sales or the info dept. that would be more knowledgeable on that subject. I mainly count, build and organize M/T inventory. I’ll ask the race team when they get in soon for more drag & off road tires. Those guys should know.
It’s too bad M/T doesn’t have tire sizes I can use on my Honda. Maybe if I was drag racing it lol. They have some street comp. tires that are pretty bad ass but they start at 245-40-17’s nothing skinnier.

~Mark~
Old 05-07-2018, 11:09 PM   #689
Rilas
CB7tuner Member

Alright guys, I've finally sorted pictures and uploaded them. Now I'm going to break this update into a few parts. I'm only going to do one section tonight, hopefully tomorrow I'll get the rest of it all done.

Tonight is focused on the progress made on old Lola.

Old Lola Engine 1

Old Lola Engine 2

Old Lola Engine 3

Old Lola Engine 4

Old Lola Engine 5

Old Lola Engine 6

Old Lola Engine 7

Old Lola Engine 8

Old Lola Engine 9

Old Lola Engine 10

Old Lola Engine 11

Old Lola Engine 12

Old Lola Engine 13

Old Lola Engine 14 (Stock H22A1 flywheel laying around)

Old Lola Engine 15 (Bay getting prepped for engine)

Old Lola Engine 16

Old Lola Engine 17

Old Lola Engine 18

Old Lola Engine 19

Old Lola Engine 20

Old Lola Engine 21

Old Lola Engine 22

Old Lola Engine 23

Old Lola Engine 24

Old Lola Engine 25 (I forgot to take a picture of the Innovative auto to manual transmission mount)

Old Lola Engine 26 (Still ridiculous ride height even with the engine installed. It sat on jack stands for over a year.)

Old Lola Interior 1

Old Lola Interior 2

Old Lola Interior 3

Other things have been done, such as washing the carpet, re-cleaning and conditioning all the leather, cleaning all the interior parts again, washed the seat belts. There are other things as well that I can't think of right now. The interior at this point is 95% complete. I also had to pull down the headliner and replace the sunroof glass. That was buckets of fun let me tell you.

Last edited by Rilas; 05-08-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Rilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #690
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilas View Post
I also had to pull down the headliner and replace the sunroof glass. That was buckets of fun let me tell you.
I guess a little late, but the sunroof glass can be replaced from above.

Looking good!

I'm curious - I've seen a few photos with engines out where the axles still appear to be in place. Is there enough play with the lower ball joint undone to be able to pop them out of the transmission? Any time I've pulled a trans or engine/trans, I completely removed them.

Last edited by fleetw00d; 05-08-2018 at 03:35 PM.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:42 PM   #691
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

When I replaced my sunroof glass I had to take everything thing down just to clean the two decades of dirt, twigs and what looked like a couple pistachio shells stuck in the rails. If you’re doing it alone. It’s seriously not fun putting everything back in. Not to mention half of the interior has to be taken out just to get the headliner down and out. Doing it multiple times now I’ve gotten good at interior re-assembly lol. Old Lola looks pretty good inside. For me nice leather blows away cloth. Heated leather rules, cloth drools.

~Mark~
Old 05-08-2018, 09:07 PM   #692
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
From what was exposed when I replaced the glass in my coupe, it was pretty clean in there - no debris to speak of. Whenever I've removed the interior plastic pieces, some of the tabs always seem to break - after multiple times there'd be nothing left to hold it in.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #693
Rilas
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetw00d View Post
I guess a little late, but the sunroof glass can be replaced from above.

Looking good!

I'm curious - I've seen a few photos with engines out where the axles still appear to be in place. Is there enough play with the lower ball joint undone to be able to pop them out of the transmission? Any time I've pulled a trans or engine/trans, I completely removed them.
If you unbolt the entire upper control arms and remove the fork on the shock, you can press the lower control arms down enough and pull the knuckles out, that you can remove the inner splines from the transmission. This prevents using any specialty tools, just 14mm and 17mm sockets and a wrench. I always do this and skip removing them, as I hate taking off the axle nuts. Broken too many tools on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetw00d View Post
From what was exposed when I replaced the glass in my coupe, it was pretty clean in there - no debris to speak of. Whenever I've removed the interior plastic pieces, some of the tabs always seem to break - after multiple times there'd be nothing left to hold it in.
I had so much crap in there to clean out, and also had to re-glue the entire seal back into place. It was barely hanging on at all. Only after removing the sunroof frame I found out you could replace the glass without removing the frame. Overall I think it was better in the long run as a bunch of the nuts that you can't access were super loose already, so I got to tighten everything back up.

Some of the tabs did break for sure. I actually was able to epoxy them back together and I don't think they will ever break in that place again. Old Lola was kind of an experiment for testing out fixes for Lola to see what actually works in repairing the plastics. I've even removed the plastic pieces a few times after repairing them and they snapped out of place just fine. I use Gorilla Glue epoxy, that stuff has some ridiculous bond strength.

Last edited by Rilas; 05-08-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:55 PM   #694
Rilas
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
When I replaced my sunroof glass I had to take everything thing down just to clean the two decades of dirt, twigs and what looked like a couple pistachio shells stuck in the rails. If youíre doing it alone. Itís seriously not fun putting everything back in. Not to mention half of the interior has to be taken out just to get the headliner down and out. Doing it multiple times now Iíve gotten good at interior re-assembly lol. Old Lola looks pretty good inside. For me nice leather blows away cloth. Heated leather rules, cloth drools.
Yeah it wasn't fun, but it really wasn't too awful either, maybe it's because I'm tall enough. Mine had leaves and a ton of dirt in it, as well as other junk and all the nuts being loose.

All but the drivers seat was still in great condition. I replace the drivers seat with one from a '91 sedan SE, so the pattern is different but in great condition. In fact that leather is so soft it still feels new, granted it had dirt embedded into it, so it doesn't look the best, but it's so soft. They aren't heated but they are OEM SE factory leather that was maintained for 25+ years. Hard to complain about that. The sad thing is that I'm preparing this car for sale. Almost fully rebuilt everything, other than rings, engine bearings, shocks and exhaust.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:58 PM   #695
Rilas
CB7tuner Member

Well guys I would have fulfilled my word to get this thing updated the rest of the way except you know life happened again. I took my son out to Lola National Forest to do some hiking for an hour or two, and on our way out to the spot we were headed to Ruby (2009 Honda Pilot) decided to blow a transmission cooling line and strand us about 8 miles away from the nearest phone. If you think a cell phone was useful you are so wrong. There is no cell service anywhere in the area, I had to hike with my son on my back to the nearest lodge to use a land line. OMG am I sore, it's been a while since I've been hiking, and well I had a 45 lbs backpack on the entire time. So maybe after I rescue Ruby tomorrow I'll finish updating my thread.

Last edited by Rilas; 05-08-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:21 PM   #696
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

Damn hiking more after you’re done hiking sucks. Sorry to hear that.
Yeah, I saw the sedan drivers seat but hey, what else can ya do? Lol. It is a very nice seat. I’ll tell you what, out of all of the leather interiors I’ve come across, and all of the colors I’ve seen, there has never been a set of front seats that I could say were useable. Or even near it. All of them were in “unsalvageable” condition. So what you have now is really nice and pretty rare.

~Mark~
Old 05-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #697
Rilas
CB7tuner Member

Alright guys the order on some of this is going to be totally random sorry for some of that.

RDX Injectors 1

RDX Injectors 2 (As you can see here the top hat's won't seat all the way with the tab sticking out.)

RDX Injectors 3 (Cut the tabs off and the top hats seat perfectly.)

F23A Intake Manifold with RDX Injectors

eBay Fuel Line for Civic on F23A Intake Manifold

F23A Engine Internals

F23A1 Oil Pump Cleaned Up (Specs have been checked on this OEM oil pump I pulled off my F23A1 block. It is still within the tight end of Honda's specs, so I'm not going to replace it. I am going to have it ported though, so it has less cavitation.)

Circuit Breaker 1

Circuit Breaker 2

Circuit Breaker 3 (I still need to cleanup the negative battery cable, but the positive should show you what I'm after with the negative cable.)

Black Leather RL Grab Handles

Old Wheels 1 (This is for you Raf, as I promised this a long time ago and failed to deliver. These Konig's were my favorite wheels, but I cracked one and couldn't find a replacement. I finally found people who will weld aluminum I might have it repaired and run these again.)

Old Wheels 2

Legend GS Dual Piston Calipers (I'm sure these are an upgrade to the Prelude brakes, I can't really tell a difference. I did install these before the first autocross meet. Maybe braking is improved at the extremes.)

JDM Foglights and EGR Block Off Plate (Thanks Nick! I need to repair one of the housings for the fog lights then I'll work on getting them installed. The block off plate is for the F23A1 intake manifold.)

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve 1 (This has officially solved my oil leak out of the drain plug. I haven't gotten a chance to actually use it to drain the oil yet. I love this thing though, it doesn't add any clearance to the bottom of the engine, I was worried about that. Also to drain the oil it's now just a flick of my thumb, I wish I had gotten one with the hose drain nipple though. I might replace the drain piece after I use it a few times for the one with the nipple.)

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve 2

3rd Radiator Foot (Yes the welds are shit on this, but it won't come off. It was in a horrible area, and I wasn't in the mood to drop the traction bar.)

Civic Half Radiator 1 (After I bought and installed this I found out there are 2 different Civic radiators and I bought the wrong one. I got the one that has the inlet and outlet's a bit smaller than the Accords. If you buy a radiator for the other type of Civic it has the same size inlet/outlet as the Accord. I am probably going to buy the right radiator to replace this one. Twice now in the last week while driving Lola I've had CEL 11 come on for engine overheating. I have a few solutions for this, first is a block off plate on half of the condenser, so that all the air has to travel through the radiator, secondly I'm wrapping the header, third I'm going to double check the flow of my fans, fourth I'm thinking about adding some S2000 hood vents. This has only happened in the last week with temps getting close to 70* F, so I really need to get this solved before the heat is really here.)

Civic Half Radiator 2

Civic Half Radiator 3

Civic Half Radiator 4

Civic Half Radiator 5 (I took the OEM hose and turned it around and then trimmed the new front end to fit and this is the end result. Raf I know you were looking for way to make the hose look better awhile ago. This is the solution, although I know your going for -AN radiator hoses now.)

H22A4 Transmission Stiffener Bracket (I have been looking for this damn thing for years now. Even my dealership hasn't been able to find this piece in their diagrams to order for me. I got it with the M2Y4 that I found in the junk yard. This allows the transmission to be bolted the aluminum oil pans to create a stronger bond between transmission and engine.)

M2Y4 Transmission 1 (Still in the process of cleaning this bastard off. This was also installed by the first auto cross event.)

M2Y4 Transmission 2

M2Y4 Transmission 3

Lola 1 (A few pictures from last summer that I found lurking on my phone.)

Lola 2

Lola 3

Lola 4 (I thought this was a cool spot where they cut the giant granite rock in half for the road.)

A few things that I haven't touched on in these updates. While the bottom end of my F23A1 is done at the engine shop, I haven't given them a single dime to pay for any of it. I was hoping my side IT job would have been wrapped up months ago. Well life has just been kicking my ass in general and to say the least, it's still not done. I've been working on it, just one road block after another keeps coming up. I only have 1 thing left to have the entire project done then I'm getting paid for it. With the money I'm going to pay for the block and buy a Wavetrac lsd for the M2Y4. The focus going forward on the project is going to be getting the necessary stuff to get the LSD installed, and finish up the head for the F23A1, as well as buying the OEM parts for the engine.

I think I've covered almost everything that you guys have missed that has happened to Lola. If I come up with anything else I'll be sure to update my thread per the usual.

Last edited by Rilas; 05-10-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #698
Rilas
CB7tuner Member

For any of you wondering, yesterday I was able to successfully rescue Ruby. Granted it was a total shit show. It's awesome having your vehicle stranded in an area that most people don't know, and it's even better when it has no cell service. The tow truck guy got lost out in Lolo National Forest, I had to do a little off-roading in the Acura TL to find him. The road to where the Pilot was stranded at was fine to drive the TL on, but somehow this guy got on a side road out there, that wasn't really car friendly. No damage to the TL, just stuff I wouldn't normally drive through with the car.

I'm still not sure what failed on it though. I wasn't up to the task yesterday after hiking the day before, my feet were and still are killing me.

Tonight I plan on starting to tear it down, whatever it was that failed is on the passenger side. Either a line to the transmission cooler blew out or the cooler itself has failed. Further inspection should let me know.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #699
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

Rilas, the car is gorgeous. I’m totally jealous of the cleanliness. Hey, with that civic radiator, are you or can you still run the AC?

~Mark~
Old 05-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #700
Rilas
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Rilas, the car is gorgeous. Iím totally jealous of the cleanliness. Hey, with that civic radiator, are you or can you still run the AC?
Thanks Mark!

I can and do run the A/C just about every time I take the car out. Like I mentioned though, I need to make a block off plate in front of half of the condenser.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: