Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technical Documentation For Building A RWD CB7!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updates...

Alright, there's a lot going on in my life right now; I'm glad at present it's much more positive then negative.

Still planning, and taking baby steps to move forward for now. Stay tuned.
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Next step, full schedule for this project.

Most likely the schedule will be tentative as certain factor will change over the course of the project.

I'm ball parking about $17,000, and that includes complete drivetrain, custom pieces sourced from industry, and misc. expenses and money for error.

A good LS1 package with transmission and rear is about $6,000-$8,000 or so. An LT1 option would be significantly less. Ballpark around $2,000-$4,000.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Surely there are enough junkyards in SoCal that you can find at least one decent LS (or the Ford 302 that's so popular with Miata V8 swaps?) and rebuild for hundreds rather than thousands?

In regards to that AWD Civic above, there have been several AWD and RWD Civic, CRX, and Integra builds using CRV and S2000 parts. I remember seeing a very nicely done RWD F20C swap in a DC2.
        Last edited by CyborgGT; 12-28-2015, 10:04 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

You could do a "junk yard" LS like a lq4 or lm7 for way less than the ls1 or ls6 setup. Without going into great detail they have a lot of interchangeable parts and can save a lot of money in the initial cost. There is still tons of potential with them and boosted setups are producing substantial power with those engines. The LT1 prior to the new ones in the c7 Vettes are not that desirable.

Comment

You're right, but this chassis was never designed to be built to handle high load factors from monstrous HP/TQ numbers in the rear. I'm seeing that as I began to brainstorm and investigate. The B and C pillars... they'll twist like an empty beer can in the hands of a drunk.

I'm considering even stepping down to a 5.3 or a 4.8 because anything 5.7 and above is producing basically a minimum of 300 ft.*lbs. of torque. The 5.3 and 4.8 are still V8s, with less TQ/HP numbers. I have to try to use the minimum amount of torque for structural reasons.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
              You're right, but this chassis was never designed to be built to handle high load factors from monstrous HP/TQ numbers in the rear. I'm seeing that as I began to brainstorm and investigate. The B and C pillars... they'll twist like an empty beer can in the hands of a drunk.

I'm considering even stepping down to a 5.3 or a 4.8 because anything 5.7 and above is producing basically a minimum of 300 ft.*lbs. of torque. The 5.3 and 4.8 are still V8s, with less TQ/HP numbers. I have to try to use the minimum amount of torque for structural reasons.
              Even the 5.3L still makes something like 340 lb-ft of torque...
              Originally posted by sweet91accord
              if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                Even the 5.3L still makes something like 340 lb-ft of torque...
                You're right.

When I typed 5.3, I was thinking of a 5.0 from a Caprice. I don't know why I put the 5.3. They (4.8) have, if memory serves me correct, around 275-290 ft*lb of torque.

The 4.3 L99 V8 is probably the best option, and they can be had for cheap. Power adders and after market support is available, so power output can be upped later if need be.
                Last edited by Straight Success; 01-03-2016, 12:29 AM.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Here is a link that super chevy magazine did in showing some potential of the 4.8 vs the 5.3, if there still in your considerations. No matter what these engines are producing more Hp and tq then the cb platform was ever produced to handle even in stock form, you definitely have your work cut out for you.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...e-ls-slugfest/

Good luck on the journey ...

Comment

Originally posted by rubycoupe View Post
                    Here is a link that super chevy magazine did in showing some potential of the 4.8 vs the 5.3, if there still in your considerations. No matter what these engines are producing more Hp and tq then the cb platform was ever produced to handle even in stock form, you definitely have your work cut out for you.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...e-ls-slugfest/

Good luck on the journey ...
                    Exactly. That's why I'm aiming towards the 4.3 L99 V8. It's the most tame out of them all.

If I wanted to take the easy route, I'd just recycle the components from an S2000.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Now that the New Year has begun, I can move forward. I will not be posting much in this thread. I may post you images here and there of the specimen chassis, the specimen chassis in its naked state, and the donor parts.

Besides the board, you know how to contact me.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Okay, is there anyone in the Los Angeles area who's willing to lend a hand with the complete tear down of a black '93 Accord EX coupe and '94 Chevy Caprice (just the drive train/and ECU system run everything: engine/transmission/drive shaft/entire rear).

I can provide food/water/beer if you like/and garage space (roughly 1000 sq. ft.) I will be keeping all parts, so I plan to keep this very organized.

Yes, I'm aware I will need a custom drive shaft and other components.

Were going automatic people, but no column shift.
                        Last edited by Straight Success; 01-05-2016, 03:33 AM.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Do you have a schedule in mind? If you dont mind help from a novice, I'd be happy to help. I'm just waiting on parts before sending the engine out to be worked on. So I have some free time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tishock View Post
                            Do you have a schedule in mind? If you dont mind help from a novice, I'd be happy to help. I'm just waiting on parts before sending the engine out to be worked on. So I have some free time.
                            Definitely. I'm going to need all of the extra man power I can get.

I do have a tentative schedule already, so I can fill you in with everything. I'll PM you my number, and if you need a ride (whenever you're free), I can come pick you up.

I'm currently making plans to move to Long Beach, and man is it expensive. Where're talking anywhere from $375k to $500K+.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

If you have to use a low output engine to keep from tearing the car up, then what is the point of this project? To say you did it but end up with a car you can't really use?
                              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                                If you have to use a low output engine to keep from tearing the car up, then what is the point of this project? To say you did it but end up with a car you can't really use?
                                It's to establish a base line.

A base line will be needed to move forward to see how the chassis and car will behave. Do you know where I can find this data? I currently don't, so I need an idea of what I can and can not do once an engine is in. If I use a 4.3L L99, with some reinforcements to the chassis, and it holds up well, then this will help me gain and understanding with data how to proceeded (go bigger or smaller in power). How do you think cars in the the 70's and 80's knew they needed frame connectors to stiffen up the chassis for powerful muscles cars?

This idea is to build a functioning RWD car, and not to just say it can be done. It's to pull up next to a Charger or a Pony, mashed the gas, and look at the other driver's face when the rear lights up while I take off past him. It will also showcase what I'm capable of, and possibly the attention, notoriety (as people will criticize why?), and grants that it may bring...

Similar to this:
                                Last edited by Straight Success; 01-06-2016, 01:05 PM.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Working...
                                X