Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

'93 wont start even after driving around. Alternator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'93 wont start even after driving around. Alternator?

My car started fine this morning but i when i came out at the end of the day the battery was completely dead. Boosted it with a friends car and it started fine. I assumed it was just a dead battery so i drove around for about an hour to let the alternator recharge the battery, when i got home i turned the car off and tried to turn it on again to see if it had worked it was completely dead again. Wouldnt turn over no radio no lights no nothing. Could this be a bad alternator?

Is the battery new? This has happened to me before and it turned out to be the battery. I've had to have an alternator replaced, too, but the battery light came on in the car when it started to go.

Comment

I think you should go to autozone and get the battery and alternator check since they do it for free

Comment

sounds like your battery is toast or the terminals arent making good conduction.

Comment

in this case it does sound like you have a dead cell in the battery, replace that first then check your voltage on your alternator with and without loads on it

Comment

Well aside from testing it at an auto parts store you can do it the ghetto way and crank the car and remove the battery terminals. If car stays running then its the battery if it shuts off then its the altenator. Sorry if this is urban ledgend or a myth but it has always worked for me. Especially in older vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by harrisso1 View Post
              Well aside from testing it at an auto parts store you can do it the ghetto way and crank the car and remove the battery terminals. If car stays running then its the battery if it shuts off then its the altenator. Sorry if this is urban ledgend or a myth but it has always worked for me. Especially in older vehicles.
              i agree works for me to....but its not the alternator cause after a boost the car stood on and even with a dead battery after u drive on it it will get just a lil power not enough to trun the car on ....but the lights will be really low and dim.....i say check your terminals make sure there tight ....

Comment

DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY WHILE THE CAR IS RUNNING, OR YOU RISK DESTROYING EVERYTHING ELECTRICAL!! The battery is there to smooth out voltage, the same way a capacitor does. So do not disconnect the battery while the car is running.
                PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Get your battery tested it wouldnt hurt to test your alternator too, pretty easily accessed on cb's.

Comment

If you have a non-sealed battery, you could be low on electrolyte/battery acid, which would not allow the battery to hold charge. There should be some caps you can pop off the top of your battery and check the fluid level. If the metal plates inside the battery aren't submerged, you need to add more fluid.

Comment

Process of elimination esp when it comes to electrical problem.

How new is your battery? If its nearing 5 years if continuous use then its highly prob its the battery.

They manufacture them with short lifespan now if 4 to 6 years (average 5). To test unless you have access to a tester is charging your battery then leaving it disconnected over night, do not connect it till morning.

If it starts then the battery holds charge overnight and so the likely culprit is your alternator. If the starter is slow or weaker than 100% then its your battery loosing charge.

It is not uncommon for batteries to die quickly, as fast as yours, working one moment then dead.
                      Rides:

Accord
                      92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                      96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                      88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                      92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                      95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                      92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                      91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

I've experienced that before. Had absolutely no signs that the battery was going out until it just died one afternoon .

Originally posted by JDMDriver View Post

It is not uncommon for batteries to die quickly, as fast as yours, working one moment then dead.

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
                          DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY WHILE THE CAR IS RUNNING, OR YOU RISK DESTROYING EVERYTHING ELECTRICAL!! The battery is there to smooth out voltage, the same way a capacitor does. So do not disconnect the battery while the car is running.
                          it's common to do this at the dealership when swapping out the battery. no one ever wants to reset the anti theft code. never seen anything bad come from it, just got to be careful with the cables touching things. later.
                          Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

As long as you're using normal components, taking the battery off won't hurt. Now if you have your headlights on with 10 fog lights or bumping a system, that's when your battery is involved. An Alternator has enough juice to power the car on it's own and then some, which is why jumping a battery to get it started dead.. then after a half hour of driving, it's recharged. If the alternator needed help from a battery to power the car's factory components, your battery will always be dead.

Why else could you jump start a car with a dead battery and immediately disconnect the cables and it stays running? Because once the engine is running, the alternator generates enough electricity to run the car, and charge the battery.
                            98' Mustang 3V Swap
                            11' VW CC R36

Comment

Working...
                            X