Water in trunk!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water in trunk!

Any one ever open your trunk and it's full of water?

I have a sunroof but all the drains are clear.
    Only place I could see where the water might be coming in is the tail lights. I tried my best to seal that up with weather stripping silicone. Where they meet the holes on the body for the wires to go though.
    Also I think the water is pooling up and overflowing in the upper confers where the hinge arms are.

It happens every time it rains and when I give it a car wash.

There literally had to be 2 to 3 inches of water in the spare wheel spot.

Any other like scenarios? What'd you do to fix the problem?
    USDM EX

I've got a leak too. I have no clue where it comes from, but my guess would be the trunk. Mine pools up on the left side of the trunk. :/
    Originally posted by Quashish
    hahaha

noobs be like where to be buying hella flush yo?

Comment

Your trunk leaks. Not the trunk lid. Il take some pics when I get home so you can see where its coming from.

Try removing the weather strip and I'm pretty sure you will find it pretty quick. Usualy in the upper left and right where the metal is pinched just rusts out and in the middle too.

The previous owner put epoxy to seal it but i don't recommend that solution. I would sand it down take as much of the cancer I can off fill with some bond metal fill and prime, paint, and clear the gutter rail.
      Last edited by NVmyCB7; 10-07-2013, 08:07 PM.
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=171625

Comment

There are eight clips that hold the chrome trim across the bottom of the rear window. Each clip goes through a hole in the sheet metal. Each clip has a seal around it. If this seal fails, water drops into a trough underneath them and flows to the left or right and drains into the trunk (had this happen to my wife's 93 LX). There are oval slots in the sheet metal; after you wash it or it rains, stick your finger up through the slots and feel around for water - if it is wet, the clips are likely your problem.

The screws for the clips are hidden under the wide rubber lip on the bottom of the chrome trim. Let it sit in the sun for a while, or use a hair dryer to soften the rubber so that it is easier to lift up without cracking. Back each screw out about 3/8 to 1/2 inch, then push in on the screw while lifting the clip. I suggest working from the center toward the outside. You may have to release the side of the trim from their clips as well. The eight clips along the bottom have an approximately 1 inch x 1 inch platform on which there was originally installed a self adhesive seal. One or more of these has likely failed. You can only get the seals if you buy new clips and the clips are difficult to remove and reinstall on the chrome. I used some hardware store closed cell self adhesive foam insulation to create new seals for my wife's car. Clean the clip surface and the metal surface before installing.

Other possible leak locations are through the tail light itself, the vent gasket on the left side of the trunk, rust holes at the rear of the wheel wells, or missing grommets in various holes around the trunk. My 90 leaked through a welded seam just above the left tail light. Best way to find it is to remove the trunk lining, put the back seat down, then have someone run water over the car while you look in the trunk with a flashlight.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Thanks for the helpful input guys. I'll deffinantly check out that chrome trim.
          USDM EX

Comment

I had a trunk leak that took about a month to finally seal up. Here are the places that were leaking:

The drivers side sunroof drain had come loose from the side of the car and was draining into the trunk. The tube goes all the way to the back behind the wheel well inside the trunk.

The square vent on the driver side in the trunk. The gasket was leaking.

Tail light seals. Get NEW ones, sealant simply doesn't work. My tail lights were retaining water as well.

Small rust spot not visible on the underside of the wheel well.

Comment

Originally posted by lowandslowcb7 View Post
              I had a trunk leak that took about a month to finally seal up. Here are the places that were leaking:

The drivers side sunroof drain had come loose from the side of the car and was draining into the trunk. The tube goes all the way to the back behind the wheel well inside the trunk.

The square vent on the driver side in the trunk. The gasket was leaking.

Tail light seals. Get NEW ones, sealant simply doesn't work. My tail lights were retaining water as well.

Small rust spot not visible on the underside of the wheel well.
              Where did you get the gasket for the vent from?
              Originally posted by Quashish
              hahaha

noobs be like where to be buying hella flush yo?

Comment

Originally posted by honda2014 View Post
                Where did you get the gasket for the vent from?
                You can't get the gasket alone from Honda; only comes with a new vent assembly. When I replaced the quarters on my 90, I went to the hardware store and found some self adhesive, 1/2 wide white rubber weatherstripping with parallel ribs on it and simply cut it to the correct length around the vent.
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

i had a leak in the trunk too and in my case it was the tailight gasket. cheap fix.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201008

Comment

i think i fixed it. i just put black silicone around where the tail light gasket and body meet, also but some in the gap between the upper corners of the tailights and the body it self. and i did look at the chrome trim and noting was getting in from there but i put silicone there too just incase. ran the garden hose over the trunk for a good 5 min and the sunroof for a good 5 min completley covering every crack with water. NO LEAKS!

btw thanks for all the input guys
                    USDM EX

Comment

for what those gaskets are worth you could have just put in new ones from honda...
                      silicon works, but i like fixing things the right way

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201008

Comment

Working...
                      X