mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mileage

I'm really surprised that nobody else thinks there's an issue with a 4 cylinder car getting between 20-25mpg highway.

My cb9's millage is roughly 23 hwy and the typical response I get is "thats normal" , or even worse , "that's good".

In what universe is it considered good when a lincoln town car get's the same millage as a 4 cylinder honda?

An excuse I hear is "the cb9 weighs a lot so it'll get less mpg". My response is , it weighs 200lb LESS then a prius...........

Originally posted by emosun View Post
    I'm really surprised that nobody else thinks there's an issue with a 4 cylinder car getting between 20-25mpg highway.

My cb9's millage is roughly 23 hwy and the typical response I get is "thats normal" , or even worse , "that's good".

In what universe is it considered good when a lincoln town car get's the same millage as a 4 cylinder honda?

An excuse I hear is "the cb9 weighs a lot so it'll get less mpg". My response is , it weighs 200lb LESS then a prius...........
    what is your problem exactly ?! is this a wondering post or you are asking for help ?!

Comment

It's also a 20+ year old vehicle... using 20+ year old technology, and 20+ year old parts.

Engine condition, driving style, overall weight (are you carrying a bunch of stuff? are you fat?), tire compound/pressure/condition, atmospheric conditions, environmental conditions (lots of hills = lower mpg). ALL these things play a roll (and they're not the only factors.)

Comment

I feel I should also add the very obvious "other vehicles of the same age or older get better mpg".

So yes my question is , why does the cb7 and cb9 in GENERAL get worse gas millage then comparable vehicles from the same time period.

It's just very bothersome to see people get 35mpg in corolla's and old audi's

Comment

A Corolla is comparable to a Civic, not an Accord. Smaller engine, smaller car. Try comparing to a Camry.
          As for Audis... which models? Some are diesel, which are known to get better mpg (and also cost more per gallon to fill...)

Comment

You are getting 23mpg highway? Thats not good. Your cars stated mileage when new was 29mpg highway. Futhermore myself and many others on this site who do regular maintenance get equal to or better than the stated mileage. I regularly get 30~32 mostly highway, and see mid thirties on pure highway.

Comment

I believe it comes from the engine being very low power and the car being very heavy. That and the gears are very low range.

Comment

Originally posted by emosun View Post
                I believe it comes from the engine being very low power and the car being very heavy. That and the gears are very low range.
                Rear and front bumper can be replaced with carbon fiber to help reduce the weight hence more mpg ... but I prefer running the original bumpers ... more safe, I won't trade my safety to more mpg .... new cars are carton !!

Comment

125-140hp for a sub-3000lb car is pretty much on par with new cars on the road today. The current Civic weighs about the same as a CB, with a smaller 140hp engine that makes less torque than the F22A.

emosun, do you actually know what you're talking about, or are you intent on blaming the low mpg of your car on anything but your own actions?

Comment

No... I feel there's some inherit problem with a cb7 and 9 that cause the mpg to be so low. I'm interested in what that is.

I've been looking around and I think I found out why via wikipedia. The engine is 2.2 liters and 135hp , however at the same time toyota was producing a 1.6 liter engine for the corrolla that was making 168hp with only 17lbs less torque then the honda engine.

So I get the feeling the engine is rater large in cubic inches but not making a lot of horse power.

Much like an american v8 with a 2 barrel carb. Uses a lot of fuel without a lot of power.

That and the gearing. the manual transmission has much lower rpm's at highway speeds while the auto has higher rpm's. despite it being a the same engine and vehicle. thats strange

Comment

But the root of all this is the comparison. The honda shouldn't be getting the same mpg as our lincoln town car , or our f250. I mean not matter how you put it , thats just not right

I want to keep buying these accords because they are bullet proof , is it not right to wonder why the mpg is so low?

Comment

I hope you are not trying to compare a 4age to a F22 lol. The 4age in simple terms is like a b16 very high reving engine an max tq/hp peak is way up in the rpm range, garbage low end and that's the japan 20V's the 4age not the usdm found in our corolla's which are 112hp-135hp depending on generation and trim level.

The most common engines found here in the years that match the 90-97 accords (Pretty closely matched years and generation's) for the nova, geo prizm, corolla, celica...... is the 4afe and 7afe (FE stand for fuel economy based design) both economical engines that produce max tq below 3k. My 7afe in my celica is 115hp/tq gets around 26-28mpg here due to better gearing not awsome high peak hp/tq.
                        Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 06-10-2013, 12:34 AM.

02 Crv
                        02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                        92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                        Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Emosun your CB9's 23mpg highway that you stated..isnt becuase of a design issue. Period. Your car should be getting better then that city, and way better then that highway. Your car needs some serious maintenance because there is something wrong.

Comment

You must realize our cars are old.Your engine is worn and so are most of the components.Its also a obd1 car,so unlike the newer cars that have a flashing light for the slightest problem we have bigger tolerances than they do and the only time we get a CEL is when the part is near death or dead.If it aint broke , dont fix it right?

Like stated before you should be getting more to the gallon, but you probably need a good tune up or possibly a overhaul of your engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1992 View Post
                              Emosun your CB9's 23mpg highway that you stated..isnt becuase of a design issue. Period. Your car should be getting better then that city, and way better then that highway. Your car needs some serious maintenance because there is something wrong.
                              That still doesn't really explain why every other cb9/7 isn't getting good millage either. Even the original EPA rating is very low at only 28 highway.

My coworkers 94 BMW is a v6 , regular gasoline not even diesel , auto , and he's getting 41mpg. that drives me nuts.....

what i really need to hear from is someone that currently has a cb7 or 9 that gets a proper good gas millage and can explain how the vehicle had to be modified to do so.

Because even factory fresh , the mpg still wasn't good.

Comment

Working...
                              X