My dry/wet compression test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dry/wet compression test

I got a 92 ex coupe with f22a6. I did a dry/wet compression test today and wanted to see what people think. Results are #1 138/150, #2 140/160, #3 138/149, #4 140/150. Done dry/wet respectively. #2 i put 2 little cap full of oil. The others were one so that might be why of different result. I know too big of difference in wet ussually means worn piston rings. Is 140 ok for this engine. Seems low. Also would my test be a little higher if i had a stronger battery. Car has 247k miles on it.

how low was your battery ? slow cranks?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
      how low was your battery ? slow cranks?

It is a cheap 48 dollar walmart battery that is still good unless it is cold outside. It probably has less cranking amps than a good stock battery. I can't imagine it having that much effect but maybe some.

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
        It is a cheap 48 dollar walmart battery that is still good unless it is cold outside. It probably has less cranking amps than a good stock battery. I can't imagine it having that much effect but maybe some.
        Are you holding the throttle wide open?

Comment

Are you holding the throttle wide open?
          yes throttle is wide open and i let it rotate 8 to 10 compressions.

Comment

yes throttle is wide open and i let it rotate 8 to 10 compressions.
            Ok. Well the numbers are low, but kind of ironic that they are identically low.
            From haynes manual

Std 178 psi
            Min 135 psi
            Max variation between cylinders 28psi

So you are almost minimum. And all I see here is a very old worn out engine.

Comment

Remember, you're never going to match the factory/manual numbers unless you've got the exact guage and length of hose that they had when they performed their test. This is why you'll often read that unless your numbers have a wild variance between cylinders, e.g. more than 10%, you're fine.

For reference I just did a dry test on mine and came up with a max 185psi for a couple of my cylinders. That's on a motor with 382K that's never been opened up. I'm sure if I'd used the same guage that the person used that came up with that standard number did I'd have a lower number.

Given your results, your head looks to be sealing well and your rings might be a little worn. Nothing to worry about in my opinion.
              My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
              Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
              Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

And I could be wrong. It's still weird to see all 4 that low. Is the engine running fine? Orrr...... feels off, low on power all the time?

Comment

And I could be wrong. It's still weird to see all 4 that low. Is the engine running fine? Orrr...... feels off, low on power all the time?
                  THe engine performs very well. Except for bad city mpg. Still not sure what is causing that though.

Comment

THe engine performs very well. Except for bad city mpg. Still not sure what is causing that though.
                    How many miles on it?

Comment

There's lots of things that could contribute to lower mileage, the most obvious thing to me being tire pressures and their overall condition. As old as your car is there's surely some maintenance items that could be addressed that could possibly improve it.
                      I was looking through our cars' maintenance interval items the other day and some of them surprised me at how short the intervals were. I guess I've just been spoiled by newer cars.
                      My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
                      Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
                      Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

How many miles on it?
                        247k miles. The maintenance has been well kept. Was given a complete engine tune up. EGR, plugs, fuel filter, etc.

Comment

Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                            Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?
                            It's a manual.

Comment

Working...
                            X