Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power steering really tiny bubbles persist

Hello all,

I replaced the power steering pump on my accord 1990 dx this weekend. I used prestone certified power steering fluid for Asian cars to replace the fluid. Damn dealers parts departments are still close due to Covid.

I put the front up so no pressure on the front tires. I started up the engine and moved the steering wheel left and right ( way smoother turns compared to when the front tires are on the pavement) to get rid of the bubbles in the system. I did it countless times. I also noticed a feeling/subtle noise ( do not know how to describe it) when I turn the wheel while in parking.

Any ideas on how to remove the bubbles or check if there are any other leaks in the system?

PS: I want to take the old pump apart. IS the pulley nut reverse or standard? I noticed that pulley rotates counterclockwise when the engine is running ( me standing facing the driver's wheel)
    Last edited by greenquark; 06-08-2020, 12:00 AM.

Yes, the nut on the pump is left handed (turn clockwise when looking at the pulley). Did you try actually driving it? Checking for leaks is pretty easy, clean the engine and power steering components as best you can, then run/drive it, then look at the joints and components for leaks.

Before you take the pump apart, get a rebuild kit. Take it apart, clean the components, rebuild it with new seals, and you have yourself a spare. Lubricate the internals liberally with PS fluid. I would have recommended Honda power steering fluid - where are you that dealers are still shut down? I've been able to get parts like always.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Put the wheels down on the ground. I had the same issue after refilling my system. With my car on jackstands, I ran the car up to operating temp twice and tried spinning the wheel for a while and it never bled until I put the car down on the wheels and spun the wheel back and forth.

Keep in mind, I'd also just rebuilt my pump AND replaced my rack, so there was likely a ton of air in the system. I think our power steering systems have low and high pressure circuits internally and if only light effort is required, such as when the wheels are up off the ground, it won't fully bleed. All speculation on my part of course, but it sounds plausible.
      My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
      Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
      Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Working...
      X