X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator belt issue

Hello fellow cb owners

I'm here because I'm having a issue or so I think

I have a h22a running on a basemap which has a Rev limiter set at 8k, don't worry this will come in handy in a bit.

So my issue is that I've replaced my alternator belt at least 4 times from this summer onto now. It's always happened after a good 1st gear pull.

First time it happened at the track. And I had the oe replacement prelude h22a1 bypass belt (no ac). Which fit perfectly in the groves of the h22a crank pulley and f series alternator.
    Second one was one ffor the f22a6 alternator. Belt with bypass ac. This one was a bit much thinner than the previous one but that's what O'Reilly sold me.

3rd was the same belt but was a bit thicker. It had the 5 groves for the crank pulley.

4th one I ended up getting a 94 95 alternator. Belt with ac bypass which is a whole lot shorter than the prelude one. I could barely fit it in. Almost had to unscrew the adjuster all the way out to install.

Have you guys had this issue before. What do you guys recommend me doing. Could I possibly be tightening the belt a bit too much. It doesn't happen all the time but it was raining yesterday and got a little throttle happy and was bouncing on the Rev limiter. Noticed it when I was coming home that the belt was starting to come apart again.

Is there a after market option for this?

StraightAs jamz720
    HTTPS://youtu.be/sJA1_TQ-WVY

How much slack are you leaving in the belt?
    sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

You didn't state the issue, but I think you are saying that the belt is tearing apart.

- Is it always the same side?
      - Do the pullies have any sharp edges or nicks that will scar the belt?
      - With the belt off, can you turn the alternator freely by hand?

Comment

Ivm with Raf99 on this one. I would suspect pulleys as the reason for belts ripping or the alternator partially seized up. Also, what condition is the crank pully? Could be starting to seperate, causing it to wobble and drop the belt.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
        JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

This is a better belt
          http://www.amazon.com/Gates-K050435R...ct_top?ie=UTF8

However you never really say how the belt is failing.

And also not sure why you are bouncing on the rev limiter at 8000rpm.

steve

Comment

I'm leaving it pretty tight I would say a good half inch flex or bend if that can explain a little bit. I twist it to see how much I can turn and that's how I do it.

StraightAs jamz720

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              You didn't state the issue, but I think you are saying that the belt is tearing apart.

- Is it always the same side? Yes it seems to be the inner side of the belt the last time. Other times I got to it when it was already torn

- Do the pullies have any sharp edges or nicks that will scar the belt? Non I can tell.

- With the belt off, can you turn the alternator freely by hand?yes I can. I replaced the alternator with another one I had laying around.

Also how would I check crank coming apart or starting to wear off the dampee

StraightAs jamz720

Comment

Originally posted by djcaz_aom View Post
                Ivm with Raf99 on this one. I would suspect pulleys as the reason for belts ripping or the alternator partially seized up. Also, what condition is the crank pully? Could be starting to seperate, causing it to wobble and drop the belt.

That may be the situation I haven't checked it yet but I will this weekend.

StraightAs jamz720

Comment

Its your crank pulley. I had this same issue with my P/S belt.

I was using an Accord crank pulley and tried to use a prelude pump and kept shredding belts every week until I realized that the offset of the Accord vs Lude' pulley was about half a rib different.

It doesn't make a difference if you use the Accord or Prelude Alternator, the Lude will have 5 ribs vs. 4 so you'll just have to use the appropriate belt but the crank pulley makes all the difference.

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I'll have to look into getting a newer h22 crank pulley. Probably a euro r one and matching alternator just to be on the safe side. For now I used the one with 4 ribs instead of 5 cause the prelude one is smaller. Didn't tighten the belt as much and it seems to be working fine. Will see how it turns out. Until then I'll add that to my get to list.

StraightAs jamz720

Comment

Working...
                    X