Bent valve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bent valve?

So I picked up this car on the cheap with a pretty noticeable tick. I did a wet and dry compression test and all my numbers came back good (approx 185 dry and about 210 wet on al 4) so I decided to do a lash adjustment. Sounded good on cold start up but once it warms up the tick is bad.
    I noticed with valve cover off when I turn it over by hand one of the exhaust valves on cyl 3 would snap back up after the rocker came up. I believe that valve is bent, it's the only one not moving in sync with the rocker and cam.

Originally posted by HardInThePaint
    WTF, thats like placing the cheese underneath the beef patty and calling it a burgercheese. Regardless of how u slice it the shit is a cheeseburger.

If your compression is good, it is not bent on the bottom end. I had this happen to one of my rescue projects. After having the head cleaned and checked and new valve seals installed; I reinstalled the valves and must have bent one slightly on the top end. It would stick down (I guess until the piston hit it and freed it up) then "tick" when it came up. Using the tip of the valve adjuster on the rocker arm as a guide, I was able to bend the top end of the valve shaft straight enough that it operated correctly. If I remember correctly, with the valve slightly open, you may be able to rotate the valve and spring with some soft jaw pliers to see if the top of the valve moves relative to the tip of the adjuster.
    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 10-01-2018, 11:56 PM.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
    X