Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Automatic vs standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

out of the three vehicles i own, 2 are manual and 1 is auto(wifes suv). I personally prefer manual, because I like to be in control. But I helped a buddy of mine do a auto to manual in his 6th gen accord using a mix of cb7 and prelude parts. If i had an auto cb7 i would rather trade it for a standard transmission then do the converstion. It takes a lot of parts to acquire and a lot of time. But like everyone else stated its all on your preference.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

I'm gonna catch a lot of flak for this one, but here goes:

I had a 90 LX in 5MT. My Mom had a 90 EX in 4AT. Her car felt faster than mine when driving both the same way. Maybe she had a very healthy F22a4 (bone stock) and I had a weak F22a1 (I/H/E, nice stuff, no eBay junk). The 4AT in the Accords are not as mind-numbing as in other cars.

Comment

A lot of peoples autos have yet to be rebuilt and they are upwards to 23 years old.

Theirs so much potential with the autos with less maintenance. I wish I still had all my videos of my auto, but I'm unsure where the internet hid them.
        "Self Renewed"

Comment

Just drove a cd5 manual today at my job. Suuper fun. Im lookin forward to getting a manual soon
          BLOOD ON THE LEAVES

Comment

I guess it comes down to personal preference and how committed you are/will be to tuning your car. $1000 to $2000 on a conversion may not be worth the time and effort. Maybe you can find a MT CB7 for $1000 and save yourself the time.
            Although I haven't driven a MT CB7 I do miss driving my Tibby which was MT. My CB7 is AT and I'll probably keep it that way.

Comment

Swapped gears for years. Now if just rather put it and drive and go.

Comment

I'm about to undergo the swap myself. I'm putting the tranny from an LX sedan in my SE coupe to match with the longer gears for an upcoming F22A6 light turbo project.

I'm also going to do the unthinkable and convert the LX sedan into an automatic... I'll just need a couple of replacement axles and it's on like donkey kong. I'll drive both cars like this until I complete my H22 build for the sedan.

Comment

I cant stand automatic, personally.

My first car was a manual and I refuse to go auto on any car I own.(It's almost impossible to find a car with a manual transmission these days, at least where I live!)

Driven my dads chevy tahoe, auto: Crappy experience. Drove his Chrysler Intrepid SXT: boring. There's something to be said about having the power to shift your engine instead of it doing itself-- though that being said... I would much prefer to drive an automatic in an area where all I'm doing is stop and go.

Comment

personally all ive owned was stick and i like it. ive driven autos but they seem to be the ones with the trans problems. that and its a lazy substitute. just like these new paddle shifters. its just not the same. SAVE THE STICKS!
                    USDM EX

Comment

Having owned a number of cars in both auto and manual I thinks its good to have a balance of the two. For example in a car thats more for travel, comfort etc.. i'd much prefer an auto to a manual. On the contrary though if its a car I'm driving for fun or for the experience then i'd go manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
                        Moved.

Unless you paid a boatload for your current car, it is especially nice, or has sentimental value, I would maintain it and either trade or buy one already manual.

You're going to spend roughly $1500-$2000 for a mix of old and new parts that may or may not go together well.
                        When i did the5 speed swap i didn't spend that much.

$40 - H2U5 tranny
                        $250 for Clutch kit with FW from Gripforce
                        ~$60 for pedal assembly, shifter and shift cables, clutch fluid resevior
                        ~$300 for the ESP conversion mount kit
                        $50 for a reman'd driver side axle
                        $15 for manual starter
                        ~$75 for a new CMC, slave and a SS line to the slave from TAS
                        ~$35 for the hardline that spans the firewall from Majestic
                        $30 for fluid
                        $50 rear main seal and two axle seals

The misc nuts and bolts were free from the PnP because they were small enough to fit in my pocket. I was only billed for stuff that i had to carry out by hand; their policy not thievery.

If i went back and time and had to do it all over again.. I think i would have sold the car and found a manual one. Doing the swap was just very labor intensive even with help.

Comment

I love standard.
                          4 years ago, i couldnt drive manual to save my life
                          Went through 4 other cars with auto before this one.
                          My vw in particular spurred on me learning to drive stick. When the trans died , i was having it rebuilt. It cost me 3606.18 to rebuild it or 5198.14 for a new unit. Rebuilt it and less than 6 months it sent me sailing through a toll booth because a valve jammed. Scrapped it.
                          I bought this cb with a bad trans, drove it for two years. Cost me $300 with new trans ,clutch kit ,flywheel , fluids and both cylinders. Way cheaper and its more fun

Comment

I'm trying to decide my next career move, but once I do I'm swapping the manual from my sedan with the auto in my coupe.

Sedans should be auto and coupes should be manual... Well that is my opinion.

The sedan will be my DD and the coupe will be my toy... until they both turn into my toy...

I want both...

Comment

Working...
                            X