How do you protect your Smartphone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I知 sorry for a somewhat misleading title, but in the end you値l see that it fits.
    First, I致e been seeing articles like this in my state. Give it a read, but it
    essentially says that Michigan State police have a device that can overcome
    all of your phones protections, copy, and read your data. Texts, emails,
    passwords for various apps, everything.

The article:
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...-legal-5603061

Now, after that, I did some more research. Here is the companies website,
    followed by the wiki article about it.
    http://www.cellebrite.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellebrite

The wiki article is worded a little bit like an ad. Prior to reading it, I had
    assumed that this device perhaps used some form of NFC to read the data.
    Looking into it further, it seems capable of multiple methods of
    communication. Most of the screenshots show it with a usb cable.

So, back to the title. How do you protect from something like this?
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

I would never consent to that, idc the circumstances.

Warrant, or keep it moving.

This is actually funny, because me and Justin went at it in the NSA phone snooping thread.

THIS is an example of invasion of privacy.

The NSA having the ability to listen in on phone conversations(and only conversations) if and when your name is flagged, is just not the same imo.

But obv not everyone feels the same way so who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
      I would never consent to that, idc the circumstances.

Warrant, or keep it moving.

This is actually funny, because me and Justin went at it in the NSA phone snooping thread.

THIS is an example of invasion of privacy.

The NSA having the ability to listen in on phone conversations(and only conversations) if and when your name is flagged, is just not the same imo.

But obv not everyone feels the same way so who knows.

The reason I don't like it is you are assumed guilty w/out doing anything wrong. That assumption is asserted through collection of your data regardless of your intent. All of your information is being gathered for no reason, so that if you ever give a reason they can then look at it? Thats just not true, and there is no way that is exactly how this program works. Think about all the inquiries we already know about. Hundreds of thousands of investigations leading to 50 or so foiled attacks over the course of a decade? Yeah right, this program is being used a LOT more than JUST for international terrorism related BS.

Nothing is perfectly managed. So until you are flagged, you are still monitored. The people that are standing up saying"Well we only look if you get flagged" are not the same people that I am worried about violating my privacy.

The fact that such databases exist, on such a large front(from healthcare to taxes to finances to real estate to internet use and now the aclu says the traffic cameras are logging traffic in a database too) makes me uncomfortable.

You can no longer claim you live in a "free" society if on the way to the grocery store you land on 4-5 databases during "normal" casual life.

Say I drive my car and talk on the phone on the way. GPS in my car, database. GPS on my phone and record of my call, database. Pull up to a traffic light, camera scans my plates, database. Go to the grocery store, buy some shit, database. Maybe I use a credit card to buy it instead of a debit card, two databases. Swing by the pharmacy to pick up my prescription, two databases at least.

So, what I am saying, is that until you are actually guilty of something, you are being denied the right to live a private life on so many fronts these days its outrageous. It is no longer freedom brother. Its not. All of this monitoring of your life is denying you the right to live privately. And all this time later, after we debated this shit and we all preached our hearts out about opinions and such-what exactly have they provided as "evidence" that warrants such invasion of privacy?

You say that no way would you allow a cop to scan your phone. "warrant or keep it moving" you said.

So whats the difference? What if the cop was like,"I need to scan that and take all the data off of it, but we won't actually look at that data unless you are suspected of doing something wrong?" Not that you are actually guilty of anything, but if they decide you are suspected of anything, they now have to right to violate your privacy. Suspected of something, not guilty of anything. Wouldn't you feel like they must suspect something already if they want to scan your phone?

Because that is exactly what is going on. What if the cop told you that you have NO CHOICE but to comply with his request to scan your phone, and assured you that THEY WOULDN'T LOOK AT YOUR INFO. Wouldn't you still feel the same way about it? This is exactly what is going on across all fronts. In every way the gov can track data, they are now doing that. You just think the database is faceless, but its not. Edward Snowden is a great face to put on the database that is assumed "protected and never looked at without provocation"

Thats just not true and we all know it. Mr. Snowden has shown that world just how "secure" these databases actually are.

And I am not suggesting that they should just throw their hands up and burry their heads in the sand on the issue. But to imply that previous methods, that did NOT intrude on so many peoples private lives were inneffective is kind of silly.

Old methods worked too. There are still other new methods to be developed, and no matter what shit is going to happen. This much we can all agree on. I just have a hard time accepting the idea that we should all abandon our constitutional rights and disregard some of the core values and principles of our country in the face of fear.

Do you atleast see what I am saying, even if you don't agree? 10 years ago, NONE of this monitoring was going on. Maybe it just feels different to me than it does you.
      Last edited by toycar; 07-23-2013, 10:13 AM.
      Originally posted by wed3k
      im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

While you can encrypt your phone and/or card in the phone this is used for people who steal your phone and try to read the data. If someone is plugging in to your phone and you are allowing them access to do this, then there is nothing you can do here.

The only answer I see is to have a port lock. (physical lock that goes around the phone to block someone from using the port)

Comment

SIM cards are no longer secure, someone just recently discovered a method to hack its security to read the contents.

Comment

If you use an encrypted file system, they can then only have access to your stored data while your phone has power and hasn't been rebooted. And to get that, they need to get past your unlock screen. So, the unlock screen is your last line of defense; that piece of software had better be hardened, along with your whole OS. Lots of vendors/carriers like to brand their phones with their own software provisions and configuration. A lot of times they leave gaping security holes, and even times I expect they poke through gaping holes on purpose; like an always open backdoor. If that exists, then you're most likely boned, because you can't trust who knows about it or how to exploit it; I'm sure the authorities do.

I imagine there might be a way to tie the decryption of the file system to the unlock screen authentication, so that way any bypasses that might exist (via backdoor or such) will only be able to see running process information, not all of the stored data.

Still, I'm pretty sure there are many backdoors built in at the ASIC level on half of these things. Qualcomm/Broadcom make nearly all of the wireless chipsets, right? They bake all of the communications stack into an ASIC, meaning that the thing probably has "unclosable" backdoors that are accessible via radio network, and giving really low-level access to data. At this level, you're boned; all bets are off here, bring out your tinfoil hat!

Do you think that's the case?

Comment

Great protection ^ .. and it already saved me once ..
              BTW, this would be a great thread for the "new" Computers and Video Games section?

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
                Still, I'm pretty sure there are many backdoors built in at the ASIC level on half of these things. Qualcomm/Broadcom make nearly all of the wireless chipsets, right? They bake all of the communications stack into an ASIC, meaning that the thing probably has "unclosable" backdoors that are accessible via radio network, and giving really low-level access to data. At this level, you're boned; all bets are off here, bring out your tinfoil hat!

Yes, and it worries me.

I wonder if I should just rip out my battery and implement a port lock if I ever feel the need.

That way, no wireless communication. Port lock to keep them from turning it on.

Or, just smash it with a hammer
                MRT
                37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                Originally posted by Tippey764
                I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                Originally posted by deevergote
                sneaky motherfucker

Comment

4th Amendment, you have it

Originally posted by lordoja
                  im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
                    I知 sorry for a somewhat misleading title, but in the end you値l see that it fits.

The article:

Dude Ive down cell phone acquisition data, same shit the feds use, in a training class. And let me tell you, yes, they can get all the shit they want out of your phone, but not wirelessly. The best phones to have are those cheap off brand dumb phones, the software on those things and its capabilities limit what can be extracted. Bar none security is all in your head.

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
                      If you use an encrypted file system, they can then only have access to your stored data while your phone has power and hasn't been rebooted. And to get that, they need to get past your unlock screen. So, the unlock screen is your last line of defense; that piece of software had better be hardened, along with your whole OS. Lots of vendors/carriers like to brand their phones with their own software provisions and configuration. A lot of times they leave gaping security holes, and even times I expect they poke through gaping holes on purpose; like an always open backdoor. If that exists, then you're most likely boned, because you can't trust who knows about it or how to exploit it; I'm sure the authorities do.

I imagine there might be a way to tie the decryption of the file system to the unlock screen authentication, so that way any bypasses that might exist (via backdoor or such) will only be able to see running process information, not all of the stored data.

password protection is a joke man, maybe a cracker/hacker cannot decrypt or get passed the lock out screen but if its a real criminal case, we just call the manufacture and get the skeleton key. seriously.

and yes there are "unclosable" backdoors in cell phones. Some are sorta weird, but for them to say be able to snoop the inside of your phone and pull say physical images from pics youve taken or any stuff like that for example is a little extreme, Ive never heard of this but I could talk to some one who may know.

Now as far as being tracked eavesdropped blah blah yeah they've been doing that for a very long time, the prism bullshit is new to you guys, Ive known for a very long time. While every one was calling me a "loony" I was just watching them make themselves a trendy asshat fedora.
                      Last edited by 8ball; 08-13-2013, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                        SIM cards are no longer secure, someone just recently discovered a method to hack its security to read the contents.
                        nothings actually "Secure" gsm/cdma technology is sort of old. CDMA being WW2 tech and GSM being more modern. The whole sim exploit is a serious concern but they would have to have knowledge of YOUR SIM before they could clone it, they cant just pick up your sims information via text or a phone call. Atleast in everything I've read that is not possible.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post

The article:

to answer your question, sometimes we have cellphones with damaged ports and we just activate whatever protocol NFC they are capable of and walah we have the king pins noody pics.

Comment

Working...
                          X