Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most misunderstood concepts in the tuner world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's true. I mean, if you're doing full power clutch drops on the drag strip every weekend, then perhaps you could use something a bit better than a factory replacement. Still, there isn't much difference between a 125hp CB7's clutch and a 200hp Prelude's clutch (the part numbers ARE different, but the components are very similar... )

Comment

Brakes.

When you need to upgrade and for what reason. Running an enormous BBK on a street car is laughable. I love seeing people advising to run super aggressive pads on a street drive car with cheap tires.

95-98% of our membership base would be perfectly fine on your basic NAPA pads/rotors.

Brake "feel" is completely subjective, and sure there are modifications to change things, but if you can lock your tires up / engage ABS in a simple panic stop, brakes aren't your issue, unless you're A.) on a track or B.) doing some HARD canyon carving where fade is an issue.

That being said, the CB's brake feel is terrible.

Comment

breaking in engines on synthetic.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post

Brake "feel" is completely subjective...

That being said, the CB's brake feel is terrible.
          I see what you did there.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I voted turbo.

People tend to look at it as an upgrade like a SRI or CAI.

It is not an "upgrade", it is a modification, and as such includes a whole list of items to be considered when done.

Yes, you can tech boost on stock internals for example, but as has been said before, just because you can, does not mean you should.

People just are so eager to mod things, they don't fully take the time to understand what they are modifying and how that impacts the ecosystem of the vehicle.

Comment

I voted v tec. I feel the misunderstanding of v tec goes well outside the tuner world as well. So many people who don't understand it think it's a gimmick so they really really don't understand it.

Now if your talking about done wrong, it's suspension. It's the first thing every new tuner does, and usually wrong myself included. My eighteen year old self just bolted those factory ball joints with enough play to be alarming right back up. Nothing bad came of it but wow. I was in such a hurry to go scrape speed bumps.
              ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                I voted turbo.

It is not an "upgrade", it is a modification, and as such includes a whole list of items to be considered when done.

Yes, you can tech boost on stock internals for example, but as has been said before, just because you can, does not mean you should.

People just are so eager to mod things, they don't fully take the time to understand what they are modifying and how that impacts the ecosystem of the vehicle.
                That is another good option to pick is SRI and CAI. So many think they do something worth while but I have not seen it. Though they do make amazing noises and it is so much easier to remove to do service underneath than the stock air box so there is an advantage to that. I think the misunderstood part is the difference between a $150 unit and a $30 unit is really nothing.
                Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

That's very true (and I'm glad you quoted Ralphie's post, because I missed it on page 1)

There comes a point where modifications need to work in harmony to be functional, reliable, and safe. Some things, like basic bolt-ons, can be done piece by piece, with greater gains being seen from all parts together than any one part individually. The engine is a giant air pump, and it can only breathe as well as its greatest bottleneck allows. A CAI or SRI will help with power production, more so when paired with a larger intake manifold, upgraded camshaft, upgraded header, and a free flowing exhaust system. The improvements may only be minor, though.

I think a lot of the ignorance with mods comes from video games. Put part X on your car for $XXX, and you'll make exactly this much more horsepower. It doesn't help that advertisements for various parts (especially years ago... I'm seeing less of it now) tended to say "Makes up to 25whp!" AEM used to advertise their intakes based on horsepower gains all the time. Even as someone that knows better, I won't deny that those ads didn't tempt me from time to time!

Comment

Yeah, i made it a tie between the top 2. I voted suspension because most don't understand the concept. They do not understand the different functions the shock or spring to and how they affect the car.

Comment

HP vs Torque and why it applies.
                      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

You forgot camber and tire stretching.

They get so up in arms whenever someone tries to steer them away from that concept. I don't even understand WHY you need to camber out your rear wheels but your fronts stay straight..or the ones that max out their coilovers to the point where they destroy transmissions.

I actually read about a some guy who did that and went on the facebook page to ask for help on what he should do..after he literally destroyed the case.

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                        I voted turbo.

This.

And yeah the term JDM is SO over played...I've seen guys try to sell F22Ax motors as 'JDM' on other pages but once again..you correct them and they defend it to the T..

Ralphie that Maxima though.
                        Last edited by HenRoc; 07-28-2015, 08:48 PM.
                        Henry R
                        Koni/Neuspeed
                        1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                        1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                        Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                        made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

I don't think it comes down to one concept. I think it comes down to how an engine works and functions as a whole that so many people don't understand. I see so many people attempt to understand things over their head (that was once me) when they cant even explain the 4 stroke cycle off the top of their head.

Understanding advanced concepts quite simply comes from having a strong base understanding of how an engine works and operates without killing itself.

the internet has bred all kinds of internet mechanics who will throw out "answers" at anything without even knowing a whole story or not having enough information to give even a remotely proper answer. Pretty much everytime I attempt to help someone with a problem, it seems I always end up asking 1000 questions before we can even begin with the problem itself. And even then, their problems require diagnostic tools (and the ability to use them effectively) to determine a problem and 9/10 they don't have them and I am not the kind of person to just throw out an answer and have someone buy and return to the parts store 10 times before realizing it was something stupid. I like to solve a problem and know what I buy is going to solve the problem.
                          www.850fab.com
                          IG - @850Fab
                          FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

Originally posted by 98vtec View Post
                            I don't think it comes down to one concept. I think it comes down to how an engine works and functions as a whole that so many people don't understand. I see so many people attempt to understand things over their head (that was once me) when they cant even explain the 4 stroke cycle off the top of their head.

Understanding advanced concepts quite simply comes from having a strong base understanding of how an engine works and operates without killing itself.

the internet has bred all kinds of internet mechanics who will throw out "answers" at anything without even knowing a whole story or not having enough information to give even a remotely proper answer. Pretty much everytime I attempt to help someone with a problem, it seems I always end up asking 1000 questions before we can even begin with the problem itself. And even then, their problems require diagnostic tools (and the ability to use them effectively) to determine a problem and 9/10 they don't have them and I am not the kind of person to just throw out an answer and have someone buy and return to the parts store 10 times before realizing it was something stupid. I like to solve a problem and know what I buy is going to solve the problem.
                            Very well said.
                            Sadly, your approach is a rare one these days. The instant gratification of the internet has made it less of a priority to learn. Why bother learning when someone else can just tell you what you need to do?

So many unnecessary and ineffective modification choices seem to be made because people don't understand the basic function of an engine.

Too often (now mostly on Facebook) do I see people posting "why won't my car start?" (absolutely NO info, other than a no-start situation), and at least 5 people say "change your main relay!" While it's a common issue in our old cars, it's FAR from the only solution, and a new main relay is like $60!

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
                              You forgot camber and tire stretching.

They get so up in arms whenever someone tries to steer them away from that concept. I don't even understand WHY you need to camber out your rear wheels but your fronts stay straight..or the ones that max out their coilovers to the point where they destroy transmissions.

I actually read about a some guy who did that and went on the facebook page to ask for help on what he should do..after he literally destroyed the case.

This.

And yeah the term JDM is SO over played...I've seen guys try to sell F22Ax motors as 'JDM' on other pages but once again..you correct them and they defend it to the T..

Ralphie that Maxima though.
                              I love that the term JDM is still argued by people who "know what it means". Sadly, I bet there it at least one person in this thread that doesn't quite understand it! (If you are that one person, read and understand this: JDM means "Japanese Domestic Market" or "Japan Domestic Market", depending on who you talk to. Both terms are technically correct. It is used in reference to anything that is produced to be sold in Japan. It does not necessarily refer to things that were MADE in Japan, such as all CB coupes and wagons... JDM models were all made in Ohio. It also doesn't necessarily mean an item that was simply purchased in Japan... since you can likely go to Japan and purchase a USDM Ford F150 that some Japanese guy imported... and though it was purchased and used in Japan, it was never intended for sale in Japan, and therefore not JDM.)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                                Very well said.
                                Sadly, your approach is a rare one these days. The instant gratification of the internet has made it less of a priority to learn. Why bother learning when someone else can just tell you what you need to do?

So many unnecessary and ineffective modification choices seem to be made because people don't understand the basic function of an engine.

Too often (now mostly on Facebook) do I see people posting "why won't my car start?" (absolutely NO info, other than a no-start situation), and at least 5 people say "change your main relay!" While it's a common issue in our old cars, it's FAR from the only solution, and a new main relay is like $60!
                                oh I know. and its frustrating to see young guys who make their first post saying they have had a problem for a long time and replaced x, y, z and spent some large amount of money on parts that didn't fix the problem when that money could have been spent on a book and tools to develop knowledge and ability or simply spending some time on the internet understanding different reasons for a problem and performing tests. Hell, simply spending ~100 on a helms manual can give you so much information but then that requires reading and doing.

I used to really enjoy helping people. But nowadays I have to pick and choose who I can actually help or I am just wasting my time. This is a fraction of the reason I deleted my facebook account. It is pretty easy to tell who is a lost cause and who actually wants to fix the problem and take the time to learn but I got messages all the time of people wanting help and then they would get mad when I couldn't just give them an answer.

I have gotten back on the boards and honestly it appears the old timers are somewhat the only ones posting almost like a reboot of the system lol.
                                www.850fab.com
                                IG - @850Fab
                                FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

Working...
                                X