Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most misunderstood concepts in the tuner world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh and probably one of the most misunderstood is turbos and the fact that you cannot possibly set of power goal based on PSI alone.

"I only want to boost 7psi". that always makes me chuckle because its painfully obvious they have no clue what they are doing.

I used to actually believe in that psi limitation crap of a stock engine a long time ago. Sometime way back when I got information from people and thought it was always right (its the internet you know) and once I did something and tested it (not necessarily turbo related), they were flat wrong and it taught me a valuable lesson to know what I am doing or at least understand what I am doing before I spend the money.
    www.850fab.com
    IG - @850Fab
    FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

Turbo's probably the one I hear the most false facts about, as well. VTEC gets the most jokes, by far, but that's more willful ignorance and a lack of understanding than a misunderstanding. I've talked to guys at car shows and they'll tell me about their "plans" to boost at a certain PSI. I'm tempted to correct them, but I'm not interested in turbocharging, so my knowledge there is limited to the basics of how the system works and that the result of a given PSI is turbo size dependent. Cylinder pressure is the important number, right? And the range in sizes is beyond me. Is 72mm big?... small? Eh, move on, it's not my car.
      Last edited by CyborgGT; 08-07-2015, 12:31 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

It's funny that as someone that admits to having limited knowledge and interest in turbocharging, you already displayed more knowledge than half of the "I'm building for boost!" guys (which always amuses me, when their "build" doesn't include opening the engine...)

The internet is a fantastic tool when used properly, but kids today forget that actual research and understanding is still necessary. Information is useless, potentially harmful, if you don't understand it... and if you don't know enough to differentiate between the good and the bad.
        Internet info is like sugar in coffee. Used as it should be, it makes things better. However, drinking a cup of sugar alone isn't a good idea.

When I first got into Hondas (cars in general, in fact), the import scene was just beginning to explode nationwide. The Fast and the Furious had just come out. Kids were scrambling to soup up mom's Civic, and misinformation was flowing like water. As it calmed down, people began to learn how things actually work. The forums (this one included) that were once just a bunch of ignorant kids bumping into each other in the dark began to take form. Quality info began to appear. The misinformation was squelched as best as could be, and the people spreading it either learned, or they left because of all the "haters".

I like the "it's not my car" mentality. To each his own. I wish I could think that way, though. I suppose over a decade of running this forum (and others) has corrupted my thinking. Since I'm one of the guys behind the scenes, trying to ensure the flow of information stays on the side of quality, it's difficult to watch people not only believe, but spread awful information.

Comment

Another trend I'm noticing is that everyone seems to think they need a tunable ECU. Stock H22A swap? You need a P28! Because IAB control is for pussies!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            Another trend I'm noticing is that everyone seems to think they need a tunable ECU. Stock H22A swap? You need a P28! Because IAB control is for pussies!
            I could not believe my eyes...I gave that guy pretty much a straightfoward answer..the rest..man I was telling myself this can't be real life.

Now I completely understand why the admins do the jobs they do, it gets hard to stay the course when people just spew out answers. I admit I picked on one guy when he went after a well known member because he had issues with his headlamps without even reasearching the headlamps themselves first.

I can be reckless when it comes to just slamming people.

If I've offended your staff Mike. I do apologize for that.
            Henry R
            Koni/Neuspeed
            1992 Accord LX R.I.P
            1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
            Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
            made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
              I could not believe my eyes...I gave that guy pretty much a straightfoward answer..the rest..man I was telling myself this can't be real life.

Now I completely understand why the admins do the jobs they do, it gets hard to stay the course when people just spew out answers. I admit I picked on one guy when he went after a well known member because he had issues with his headlamps without even reasearching the headlamps themselves first.

I can be reckless when it comes to just slamming people.

If I've offended your staff Mike. I do apologize for that.
              It is unlikely that you have offended anyone anymore than I ever have... Just sayin'.
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Henry butted heads with a staff member or two on Facebook a while back.
                Honestly, Henry, it means a lot that you recognize how much the staff does on there!

It's significantly more difficult to ensure a quality flow of information on there than it is on here, but I'm hoping we can turn that page around to be at least a somewhat comparable representation of this forum on Facebook.

Comment

Voted for back pressure......with ECU/Tuning a close second. No need to explain why! Google and FaceBook do a good enough job helping people get even more confused about it.
                  Last edited by GhostAccord; 08-09-2015, 10:26 AM.
                  MR Thread
                  GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

"Silinoid"

'nuff said.

Comment

ECU is probably the most misunderstood. That one guy who kept asking the same question about what ECU to run on a completely STOCK H22 and even though I gave him a straight forward answer, people started chiming in about using a chipped p28...
                      Henry R
                      Koni/Neuspeed
                      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                      Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        "Silinoid"

'nuff said.

"What does this silinoid do?"

I'm not quite sure..... maybe it's programed to make you laugh at a certain RPM???????
                        MR Thread
                        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

"I searched. I jus didn't find nuthin bout da silinoid."

Comment

Suspension geometry is going to be huge for the new generation of kids who have no idea that the crap they are doing to their cars is dangerous lol
                            www.850fab.com
                            IG - @850Fab
                            FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

Currently trending :

Headgasket. Wants to see if it takes them 30 min or less to perform one.
                              Henry R
                              Koni/Neuspeed
                              1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                              Legend FSM

Comment

seeing as how alot of parts in a car ( but lets just say CB ) in general are important.. you can't really do one without replacing/upgrading the other.

so I vote " other" meaning the whole car is misunderstood. We can cause a loss of life by neglecting maint. and most won't understand until it's too late.

Comment

Working...
                                X