rpm jump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rpm jump

so my a1 has been running a little rough lately.. i have been babying it and need it to last til i finish building a a6 to drop in.. today after work i was getting on the highway and had to gun it a bit.. right around 4.5-5k the rpm needle jumps sparatically.. tha was second then in third it did the same thing at around 3 and a half. any ideas on this?

8 Accords so far:
    '81 SE Sedan(1st Gen), '83 SE Sedan(2nd Gen), '89 SE Sedan(3rd Gen)
    '89 DX Sedan(3rd Gen), '92 LX Coupe(4th Gen), '92 EX Wagon(4th Gen)
    (3rd gen parts car) I'm currently Driving a '14 Accord Sport 9th Gen

sounds like mine. i have to baby mine also. i have been told its the igniter or distributor. it could also be your alternator going out.

work in progress..

Comment

well ignitor is new.. and i duno aobut the distributor..or alternator.. i put some new plug wires on last night tho.. but its done this b4 i got them so its not that.. but i mean my engine is kinda beat.. it burns oil and i think its the valve guides but i duno how to tell.. so i was thinking this rpm thing had something to do with that.. or like a fuel cut or something

8 Accords so far:

Comment

when my "idle" was jumping, it was purly due to the "cold air" sensor. mounted on the front of the intake mani. has a couple of coolent lines going to it. and one electrical plug... its actually a "two peice" unit. what happens is, is there are a series of "o" rings made of rubber. they keep the coolent in the area's that it needs to be in, to work proporly. the "o" rings get hard, start to break down, then the next thing you know, is your jumping idle. it lets the ECU know when to kick down to warm operation mode. and right now, it seems to be confused...

well i hope that was your problem..

if not, well atleast i was the only MOFO willing to give out a suggestion...

take it easy Joe...

Comment

valve guides would have nothing to do with it...

Comment

haha werd well ill check into that.. i have the vacuum line to the intake plugged and a breather on the valve cover.. but this wasnt at idle.. i was getting on it and it wasnt liking it lol.. but thx mofo!

8 Accords so far:

Comment

slack in your TB cable.. jamb nuts may have come loose, there4 the TB cable comes loose. so when you "jack" the throttle, it will hesitate for a second. mine did the same thing. and it ended up being the cable. that was after i had fixed the other problem of idle jumping...

Comment

Originally posted by snailin91
                slack in your TB cable.. jamb nuts may have come loose, there4 the TB cable comes loose. so when you "jack" the throttle, it will hesitate for a second. mine did the same thing. and it ended up being the cable. that was after i had fixed the other problem of idle jumping...

hmm that very well could be.. i was messing with it the other day and i over tightened it and it was messing with my shifts so i loosened it back up a bit.. so i thought i got that right but ill have to check that out too..

8 Accords so far:

Comment

the way i adjusted my "TB" cable, was started it, loosend the pinch nutz. pulled the slack out enough to pick the idle up. then backed it dwn just a bit... took care of my ish. b4 i would go to grab 2nd 3rd or 4th, and it was a huge power drop for a second or two... check it out.. never hurts...

Comment

so its not the TB cable.. the damn thing seems to do it almost everry time i hit 3.5-4k.. ima take a video of it and post.. i dont wannado it much anymore tho it seems like either a fuel cut or well i dont even kno lol

8 Accords so far:

Comment

mine was doing the same thing, it was the ignitor. not that it was failing but that the wire connections on top, one was almost off. pull the cap and check them out

Frost White CB7 Crew - Member #42

Member's ride page

Comment

Originally posted by jdmaccord91
                        mine was doing the same thing, it was the ignitor. not that it was failing but that the wire connections on top, one was almost off. pull the cap and check them out
                        kk well its doing it like all the time now when under heavy accelerating.. ill check the dizzy tomorrow.. i was told by a buddy that it could be timing.. he had the same thing happen on his mx2. it could be the timing belt if its a timeing problem but i dont kno much about that. thx for the imput

8 Accords so far:

Comment

change out your rotor in the dizzy...thats what fixed my rpm jumping. I also replaced the coil just because.

Comment

igniter or coil. why is this in ne?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                            "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                            "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                              igniter or coil. why is this in ne?
                              i duno what ur asking?

lol well i replaced the ignitor a little while back ima try a new cap and rotor.. then possibly coil depending on how much they are..

8 Accords so far:

Comment

Working...
                              X