Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I might need to buy another car for a work commute. Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know your looking for older, but I figured I would post it. 2012 or earlier Chevy Cruze. I have one and this thing has been rock solid. I got it in 2014 when I got crushed by an 18wheeler in a fully restored CRX HF! Man I still miss that car!!! Anyways I had my arm twisted to get a new car and under a car note, which I was trying to avoid at all costs.

I went to car max test drive the Cruze MT, a 2010 civic AT, and a Jetta (I forget the model). I decided on the Cruze and I wouldn't change it. It has been a rock solid daily diver, no reliability or emission issues, steadily get 30mpg or over on the highway. I drive for my job averaging about 20,000 a year on the car and it has taken all those miles like a champ. I have not even needed to change the clutch. I just passed 110,xxx this year and it still runs strong. Just my suggestion. The only downside is that it runs full synthetic dexos oil. This makes oil changes more expensive but more spaced out. You can get away with 5-8xxx every oil change.

It comes in a 1.8 NA and 1.4turbo.

It can be fun to drive, I do have a motorcycle if I really want to have some fun, and of course my CB. I recently got a company car, 2017 Subaru Legacy, which is a nice change. It has more space but the AWD is a gas hog forreal!! 25mpg in super perfect conditions I average right around 23mpg daily (mostly highway).
    Last edited by TheSnigg; 07-02-2017, 09:01 AM.

Comment

After driving my boss's 2006 Prius around for a couple days, I could see the appeal for a daily driver. Good gas milage, crazy slow, and absolutely no desire to modify it!

-If you can take the crap from your friends, and general society for driving a Prius, which I can't.
      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Most Prius drivers around here speed like crazy on the highway. I don't understand that... because that totally defeats the purpose of a fuel efficient vehicle!

Doesn't the electric motor provide a bit of grunt? It puts out more torque than an H22! Still, the fact that I wouldn't want to modify it would be huge. Can't make it fast. Can't make it look good. It's only good for transportation! And it carries a certain eco-chique prestige with it. Millionaire celebrities drive those turds because it's fashionable.
        I wouldn't exactly be proud to drive a Prius, but I wouldn't feel like anyone but members of the tuner world are judging me harshly for it. And my tuner friends all know what else I have in my driveway

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          Most Prius drivers around here speed like crazy on the highway. I don't understand that... because that totally defeats the purpose of a fuel efficient vehicle!

Doesn't the electric motor provide a bit of grunt? It puts out more torque than an H22! Still, the fact that I wouldn't want to modify it would be huge. Can't make it fast. Can't make it look good. It's only good for transportation! And it carries a certain eco-chique prestige with it. Millionaire celebrities drive those turds because it's fashionable.
          I wouldn't exactly be proud to drive a Prius, but I wouldn't feel like anyone but members of the tuner world are judging me harshly for it. And my tuner friends all know what else I have in my driveway
          After a couple days of bombing around in it (still getting decent mpgs), I finally chilled out and drove more efficiently, and it's pretty awesome how much gas you can save. (duh!)

The electric motor makes it a bit torquey for about 2 seconds until you reach like 30mph, after that it's just painfully slow (getting on the highway is usually petal-to-the-metal). It also depends if you have juice in your battery, because if it's nearly dead it will basically just use the engine, then it's even more painfully slow. Some advice: don't try zipper merging into a quick highway unless your battery has a charge.

I can't really believe how many comments I've gotten about me driving a Prius, most people were like: why do you have a Prius all the sudden? I probably shouldn't care, but I'm also 18, and image can be a bit of a factor. (Even though I've been driving without my back bumper and lower trim for like two months on my CB )
          I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            Doesn't the electric motor provide a bit of grunt? It puts out more torque than an H22! Still, the fact that I wouldn't want to modify it would be huge. Can't make it fast.
            I would love to mod a Prius.

The electric motor that Toyota designed is a wolf in sheep's clothing. I believe if you can bypass the current limiting of the inverter, it'll put down close to 400 NM of torque. Grab some batteries from a Leaf or a Volt and go do some burnouts. Not for too long though or you will burn out the motor

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Then there's those people who can't handle not modifying their car......
              I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                My neighbor may be selling a 2002 Civic HX coupe 5 speed, only 105,000 miles. Meticulous owner, garaged. He claims 45 mpg.
                YES. I was just in the same boat about having a new daily car..looked online
                & found a 2003 Civic LX, one owner with only 42,000 miles. crazy gas milage
                & is still in the Honda family haha.
                I also still have my 2005 Toyota Corolla S..has some 18" wheels but still an awesome daily car.
                Keep Pushing..

Comment

Today I found myself drooling over a 2nd gen Volvo C70... not one practical thing about it. Then I expanded that appreciation to the VW CC, which has a similar profile (I normally hate VW, but I've always liked the CC for some reason.)

Still 100% all over the place!

Comment

Im a simple guy, i am still waiting for that Dodge Coronet or Plymouth Satellite to enter my life in romance novel form and we can live hapily ever after with our A body family. Get an RSX Deeve
                    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I dislike the CC personally. My Snap-On guy drives the convertible one. He flashed it, and upped the boost quite a bit. It's one of those cars that's.. too feminine for my taste.

What about a sensible green or beige Corolla?

Comment

But why Toyota Corolla if you could Honda Civic?

Just dampening the desire to modify it?

It's probably out of your price range Deev, but Kia Souls are cool little go karts. I've driven a 2012 around, and it was peppy, plus you can goof around with the manual shift mode with the auto tranny.
                        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Strangely, my wife would never let me get a Soul. Or a Cube. Or an xB.

Comment

Whoa whoa whoa. Don't disrespect the toaster! They're extremely reliable! The only bad things about them are the bumper lips. Theyre rebels who demand emancipation. It's literally a square that gets 30mpg.

Comment

I like the toasters, especially the Element SC

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Those XB are spacious as hell on the inside, those IQ are cool too
                                [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Working...
                                X