WilliamW : 1990 Suzuki VX800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WilliamW : 1990 Suzuki VX800

I got the bike for free from a friend and I'm really anxious to fix it up and give it a good home (me). I have never owned a bike before but do know lots about car stuff, I'll just have to apply it to a new field.

I'll keep updates of what I've done and what I'm doing to get it going.

Engine:
    None

Body:
    None

Suspension:
    None

Electrical:
    Kick Stand switch removed.
    Clutch Switch Removed.

Been a long time. Still alive...

i like it... i think what would set it off.. would be a fatter rear tire.. imo

but get it running right first of course

Comment

Originally posted by 93EXaesthetic View Post
      i like it... i think what would set it off.. would be a fatter rear tire.. imo
      And an LED rear tail and relocate the license plate.

1999 BMW M3
      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
        And an LED rear tail and relocate the license plate.

Yeah, the plate holder has to be "trimmed". I hate that it covers it up like that. I think it would look so good tucked up right below the tail light and the rear opened up a lot.

The turn signals will be replaced with something more short and aerodynamic and bright (LEDs).

I've been faced with a decision. Either option A or option B.

A is the bike B is the honda

A involves getting new rear shocks and spring since the current ones are leaking all over the place. They will run about 250.

B involves getting Bisimoto forged connecting rods for the F22B DOHC. They will run about 340.

I'm leaning more towards the bike than anything.

Comment

i neglected my honda for like 1 1/2 years because i was riding motorcycles in that time frame.i just let her sit the only reason i got the civic is douchebag crashed my sv650...

dont be like me maintain both of em.

Comment

Any particular reason why you took out the kickstand switch? I had a Kawasaki Ninja 250 before the Suzuki and I really liked not having to pull in the clutch in to start her up, so I can see why that one went.

If you have some close by mounting points under or behind the rear plate holder, try finding some brackets or braces at Home Depot. I fabbed up 2 L-shaped brackets for the 250 to clean her backside up. Cost me less than $5

And +1 on the maintenence, especially on a carb'd bike.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by XLR Azn View Post
              Any particular reason why you took out the kickstand switch? I had a Kawasaki Ninja 250 before the Suzuki and I really liked not having to pull in the clutch in to start her up, so I can see why that one went.

If you have some close by mounting points under or behind the rear plate holder, try finding some brackets or braces at Home Depot. I fabbed up 2 L-shaped brackets for the 250 to clean her backside up. Cost me less than $5

And +1 on the maintenence, especially on a carb'd bike.

Good luck!
              Thanks, I'm looking into a lot of things since this bike did not come with a title at all. It'll probably cost me 200 for the title, 250 for the shocks, probably 100 for all the brakes and work, and 100-200 for the sync work on the carbs. It's still way cheaper than buying a new or running bike.

The reason I'm getting rid of the kick stand switch is because it's faulty for starters. That and it's one less thing to worry about. Less mess and work later on.

Comment

Gotcha on the switch. Just one less thing to worry about. I also just noticed that it's a shaft driven bike. Pretty sweet. Don't forget the fluids in there!

Comment

Is that a supra in the garage? Buried under all that stuff?

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
                  Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
                  NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_dcb7 View Post
                    Is that a supra in the garage? Buried under all that stuff?
                    Yes it is. It's a 1986 Toyota Supra non turbo 5 speed manual transmission with only 70K miles. It's my girl friends. The person before her who owned it was an idiot and thought it was a "super car" and ran the hell out of it. Spun number 6 rod bearing and due to that the clearance on the number 6 bearing was way out of spec. That gap reduced the pressure to the cylinder head and caused the cam shafts to be all scored up. You really can't replace those because it's just the cam shaft and then the cap, both of which are aluminum.

It has a new head, rebuilt bottom end (all new rings, honed, new #6 connecting rod, water pump) and we're in the process of putting it back together.

*BIKE UPDATE*
                    I'm trying to run the vin number to see if the bike is stolen but all the police / highway patrol people suck big time. I took off the back end of the bike and so now the ugly plastic bracket for the liscense plate is gone and it's just real flush. Looks great though.

I also picked up a helmet an armor jacket and protective gloves this weekend for 125 bucks. not bad at all.
                    Last edited by WilliamW; 07-06-2009, 04:52 PM.

Comment

So I've played with the exhaust a bit...... and WOW!

We cut off the mufflers before the cross pipe under the center stand and put on our own (AutoZone type) Truck tips. They take from 2 1/4 to 4" for about 21 inches.

I'll get some pics up soon. The bike is so ungodly loud we had the cops called on us. At least I'll be heard.

It looks good too.

Comment

Working...
                      X