2.3 L Crank for F series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.3 L Crank for F series

I know i can use an h23 crankshaft to make my f22 2.3 liters but would a f23a6 crank work the same and still be reliable under boost (20lbs or so max)?

I ask because im building a turbo F series for my EF and i want to see if i can utilize any parts from this f23a6 i got out of the dumpster at work thats otherwise good except its got shitty rings and the vtec solenoid is out.

Also What bearings would i buy? Ones that are made for my rods or my crank?

They rise their wooden pints and they yoik and sing
    And they fight and dance 'till the morning

Dont forget my MRT for my 1992 Honda Accord LX

Originally posted by deevergote
    Everything in Japan is made with carbon fiber and used panties.

False

The h23 and f22a cranks are the same....

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

I'm pretty sure the mains on the f23 are 5mm larger than those of the f22.

Comment

Don't think so, but I will check.

Edit read that wrong, thought you said h23 and f22.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Ghetto_CB7 View Post
          Don't think so, but I will check.

Edit read that wrong, thought you said h23 and f22.
          He did mention the h23 in the first sentance..

Comment

F23's have 55mm journals and a 97mm stroke, 86mm bore.

F22's have 50mm journals, a 95mm stroke, and 85mm bore.

H23's have 50mm journals, 95mm stroke, and 87mm bore.

The H23 crank is the same as the F22 crank as far as I can tell, and it gets the extra displacement from the extra bore. Changing the bore will add more displacement faster than changing the stroke will (volume of a cylinder = pi multiplied by the radius squared multiplied by the height of the cylinder aka stroke). With a cylinder, if you doubled the height, you would have double the volume. If you doubled the radius, you have four times the volume.

The F23 gets its extra displacement from a combination of larger bore and longer stroke. Honestly I'd just build an F23 (and I will be). The head flows about as well on the intake side and better on the exhaust side than a stock F22A does. Basically you just can't spin them up as high, but if you make the torque early, you won't need to.

Also you can stick K20 pistons and rods into an F23. The K20 rod will reduce the compression ratio because it's shorter. All other dimensions are the same.

TL;DR

Yay math, and either overbore or just build an F23.
            Last edited by Phate; 12-30-2011, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X