My First Motorcycle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Motorcycle.

So this weekend I helped a friend work on his 1970's Mercedes Benz and I noticed a motorcycle in his garage. I asked what was up with it and apparently his mom wanted it out of the garage so his dad told me to take it now and we'll work out payment later. (knowing me he knows I don't have a lot of cash) It's a 1990 Suzuki VX800. When I got it the carburetors were off and all the side trim was off. I got it running this morning but now the front brake caliper is sticking and the brakes lock up and start to smoke.

So just a few more things and It will be running like a champ.

This isn't it but it gives a good representation.
    Been a long time. Still alive...

Definitely not a bad bike for your first bike. How long had it been sitting in their garage?

1999 BMW M3
    2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
    2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
    2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

wow 800 cc vtwin... that thing is going to pull hard down low.. better get the brakes fixed

Comment

Nice. Get those wheels if they dont already have them.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
        Originally posted by Jarrett
        Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Mike, they do have those exact same wheels. So I'm pretty excited.

I think it's been sitting in their garage for a little while, they go through so many projects it's not even funny, a VW beetle, a 67 1/2 (i think) mustang, a 1976 Fiat (i got that one too), a 56 Chevy pick up, 3 cb175 - cb200 motorcycles, an 1100 Yamaha motorcycle, the Mercedes Benz, and just a lot of others...

It's no telling how long it's been there. But getting it running is pretty exciting. I think the carburetors definitely need to be adjusted because at idle both cylinders fire, but under load I can't tell if they both are or not. It doesn't help that I'm slammed to a stop with the sticking front brake. It puts so much load on the engine down low that I start to hear some chuncky sounds like valve tap or something.

But when ever I stop and rev the engine it sounds fine and runs decent. SO first things first-getting that front caliper fixed. Then the carburetors and lastly the the cosmetic stuff

Comment

Nice, its pimp for a first bike.

What plans you got for it lol?

Comment

Sweet! Do you already know how to ride?

That's a pretty cool looking bike. A bit of a cross between a sport bike and a cruiser.

It's funny, you see Suzuki cars, and you think "crap!"... you see a Suzuki bike, and you know it's good!

Comment

Well guys, I have ridden before. My first time was dirt biking for a full day with my ex girlfriends dad and brother. I didn't lay the bike down once, but that's not to say I'm good, just cautious. I've ridden my room mates 76' Honda CB200 motorcycle around and it's a blast. I've also ridden my ex friends Verigo 750.

I'm going to take classes when I get it working well because I'd rather start acting more mature and taking the extra steps to prevent a collision which would hurt me and possibly another person.

My plans are as follows:
                (1)The handle bars have to go. They kinda come up towards you so your half way leaned forward and kinda sitting up. I would like the full cafe style bars that go slightly downward so that I'm leaning froward more.
                (2)I need to get some rear view mirrors on so I can see what's going on behind me.
                (3)I'll take out all the air box stuff from the inside and just run K&N filters on the front of each carburetor to free up a lot of space and simplify things a bit.
                (4) I'm not sure if I want to do anything to the exhaust. It's a V-Twin so it's not going to sound very crotch-rocket like. So I'm thinking some sleek straight pipes (pretty chrome) could be in order.

Any who, I'm doing all this on a budget as of now. FRIDAY I'm ordering Bisimoto forged H-beam connecting rods for my Honda so I still have expenses I have to take into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post

It's funny, you see Suzuki cars, and you think "crap!"... you see a Suzuki bike, and you know it's good!
                  x2

Originally posted by WilliamW View Post
                  My plans are as follows:
                  (1)The handle bars have to go. They kinda come up towards you so your half way leaned forward and kinda sitting up. I would like the full cafe style bars that go slightly downward so that I'm leaning froward more.
                  (2)I need to get some rear view mirrors on so I can see what's going on behind me.
                  (3)I'll take out all the air box stuff from the inside and just run K&N filters on the front of each carburetor to free up a lot of space and simplify things a bit.
                  (4) I'm not sure if I want to do anything to the exhaust. It's a V-Twin so it's not going to sound very crotch-rocket like. So I'm thinking some sleek straight pipes (pretty chrome) could be in order.
                  pics or banz!

Comment

GOD I'M SO HORRIBLE ABOUT THAT STUFF!

I'm still getting pictures of my friends 9' cannon I made him. I'll try and do it all tonight. I get off work at 10:30 MO time so it will be after that.

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamW View Post
                      It's a V-Twin so it's not going to sound very crotch-rocket like.
                      Everyone knows 2>4

Can't wait to see how this turns out

Comment

Heh you should ride a moped. I ride around town and talk on my phone at the same time. I get so many eat shit and die looks. And people will go around you even if you are doing 5 over the speed limit. But hey man I hope you enjoy your scooter. Just dont let your parents call you scooter trash like mine dooo!!!

Comment

Pictures!!!!

Here is the bike. Another problem started to happen. When I put the bike into gear it dies. Only in neutral does it run, and it seems electrical since I can go from N to 1st and it will die but if I pop it back into N quickly it will keep running.

Comment

i like a lot...naked bike styling with single headlight.. didnt think i would like an old school like this

Comment

Working...
                            X