Mevotech lower ball joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mevotech lower ball joints

#2 of a lot from ebay finally failed. not the joint just the castle nut, the threads on the bj were pristine. the nuts threads smeared away. makes me suspect those nuts were not to DIN specs. They both failed similarly w/o any signs of imminent failure, however this time i was able to recover the nut.

Butter nuts? OEM are a reasonable enough price not to use anything else. I hope you didn't wind up with additional damage when it let loose.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Mevotech is one of the "better" cheap brands, aren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
        Butter nuts? OEM are a reasonable enough price not to use anything else. I hope you didn't wind up with additional damage when it let loose.

Thanks I did not, I was going 1 or 2mph entering Autozone's parking lot, the transition to concrete is what separated it, oem are reasonably priced, but..

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Mevotech is one of the "better" cheap brands, aren't they?
        yes, they plugged them a lot on the powernation tv shows, and the advertising made them out to be better with a better sintered metal ball design for lubricity and longevity..HA! the boots are a nice polyurethane. they look well made, just a bad batch of nuts i guess..

Comment

If you're going to make a "superior" joint, I guess you need to cut costs somewhere!
          I never got around to replacing my joints (somehow, the original boots never split.) I would've just paid the $25-$40 per side from the Honda dealer though. Until they're totally unavailable, I wouldn't take a chance with aftermarket. Though I suspect Honda's supplier has likely changed since the CB was built.

Comment

I've gone through so many aftermarket sets of ball joints and tie rods. Never do anything but OEM again. The upper ball joints were a hard cost to swallow.
            '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Upper ball joints still come as a unit with the upper control arm when purchased from Honda, right?

Comment

Upper ball joints still come as a unit with the upper control arm when purchased from Honda, right?
                Yes. Last time I needed one, I bought a MOOG upper arm. We'll see how it does.
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

spc actually makes a factory replacement, i will probably give those a try when the camber adjustable ones die. i installed the adjustable ones into OEM arms which are almost double the thickness compared to aftermarket ones. many moons ago when the arm from that infamous 120$ everything kit on ebay died, i used a napa gold which was 80 with the shop discount. when that car was stripped the bj was in fair condition, the anchor bushes were toast though.

keeping the oem arms and anchors along with an actual quality bj and poly anchor bushes will make for a good future replacement, honda's are pretty expensive and i feel that stuff nowadays for that vintage of a car might just be rebadged "premium" aftermarket stuff, i dont have the money to play around with to see though.

i know just doing the ubj's is frowned upon, and im definitely not for reusing repops, but using a press with the right sized receiver worked well converting to the camber adjustable joints. retaining the oem anchors is wise also, they seem to be better quality then any replacements ive touched CB & CD and are easily refurbished.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                    Yes. Last time I needed one, I bought a MOOG upper arm. We'll see how it does.
                    Moog's quality has dropped significantly over the last few years. They changed suppliers, and apparently they're not much better than the cheapest junk anymore.
                    I have experience with a rear upper arm from Moog. The ball joint boot ripped in 3 months after installing the part. I had never driven the car after installation.

Comment

Does anyone know the OE supplier for Honda's ball joints?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                        I believe it's musashi (sp?)

I also agree with everyone that says moog's quality has greatly went downhill, at least with the tie rods. I have the moog front upper control arms and they actually seem to be doing quite well so far. (only have about 10k miles on em though)

Comment

Moog's quality has dropped significantly over the last few years. They changed suppliers, and apparently they're not much better than the cheapest junk anymore.
                          I have experience with a rear upper arm from Moog. The ball joint boot ripped in 3 months after installing the part. I had never driven the car after installation.
                          Great - I think I used MOOG upper arms on the rear of the wagon (discontinued according to Majestic's site). Looks like front uppers are discontinued as well. So who makes good aftermarket parts? I better have my helpful local dealer do some searching - they sometimes mention having to check "vintage" parts.
                          Last edited by Fleetw00d; 08-23-2016, 08:28 PM.

Comment

I have no issues with my Moog UCAs, but their outer tie rod ends suck, I've replaced mine a few times....
                            Originally posted by Mishakol129
                            Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                              Sankei.
                              Originally posted by Mishakol129
                              Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Working...
                              X