Bad hg job, need to resurface head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad hg job, need to resurface head?

So yeah my mechanic didn't do too good of a job at replacing my head gasket on my daily. I had the head resurfaced when the job was being done and here we are 4k later. should I take it to the machine shop again? Or is it fine to just pull the head, clean off the old gasket and put the new one on. Thanks in advanced!

JDM powered CB7

After head removal, check the mating surfaces, head and block, for smoothness.
    Take a straightedge and filler gauge, check for warp.
    If both check out Okay, I wouldn't take it for resurface.

Purchase a repair manual for detail if you don't have it.

Good luck.
    A&P-IA

Comment

Nothing worse than a bad hand job ... er head job ... no wait damn there is no way to keep out of the gutter on that one.

I would check for gouges or something irregular. If you are doing the job yourself be sure to pick up a few extra things that you can maintenance as well. If your timing belt has oil on it, swap it out, ect...

Comment

Did it look machined or belt sanded?
        A lot of times, the block surface could be rounded off from using those scotch brite discs.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Did it look machined or belt sanded?
          A lot of times, the block surface could be rounded off from using those scotch brite discs.
          I <3 G60.

Comment

When we got the head back it looked like the mating surface was sanded because it had fine patches in it. Now it's just shiny with no marks or fine scratches.

JDM powered CB7

Comment

Also I talked to a mechanic who pulled the head and he said the gasket was fine from what he could tell, and that the head had no warpage or cracks but when he pulled the intake manifold to get the head off easier the gasket was muffed up. He thinks water got in through that bad gasket, but is that possible? There was a lot of water mixed in with my oil so I suspected a bad hg, plus my compression was down in the 1st and 3rd cylinder by 60psi. I mean, how would oil and water mix from an im gasket?

JDM powered CB7

Comment

it can't
                I <3 G60.

Comment

I figured it couldn't. But took it to the machine shop anyways and they said it should be fine to use without any work being done to it.

JDM powered CB7

Comment

It sounds like your mechanic doesn't know what he is doing.

How is the block surface? Have you checked it for cracks and flatness?

Comment

Yeah we checked and there weren't any cracks in the head or the block, unfortunately though there are cracks on my phone now from using it as a shop light lmao. My mechanic is... Past his prime. He didn't want to agree that the head gasket was bad. He constantly insisted that the intake manifold gasket was bad or that my head was cracked.

JDM powered CB7

Comment

I may have a cracked head, because water is still getting into my oil. I made sure it wasn't just left over water from before, and I used the dowel pins to line the head and head gasket up with the block. Head isn't warped, torqued down to spec with new oem head bolts. I couldn't visually see any cracks in the head or block and my compression is 220psi with a 10psi difference in the third cylinder. Would I be able to see cracks or could it be deeper in the block or head?

JDM powered CB7

Comment

if it got hot enough the sleeves could have shifted. ive seen it too often when i resurface those honda blocks.
                          I <3 G60.

Comment

It didn't over heat any, but with my luck that's most likely what happened. and this is so frustrating, this is my dd and my other two cb7's need work. I think one has bent intake valves because the intake cam will not stay at tdc with the exhaust and crank. I just set it and it falls a few teeth from tdc as soon as i let go. I might work on it if it's just bent valves and save up a few checks to order a new h22 for this car.

JDM powered CB7

Comment

Working...
                            X