ac components you MUST replace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greenquark View Post
    At this point I am going nuts. Is there any way to know whether the expansion valve is bad or the compressor is gone?

Any tips?

Point being: If I am pretty sure is the expansion valve, I might go for it. If it is the compressor I will finish the whole system :/
    When the compressor was working and the AC was on. I pressed the valve on the high side and I got this on my fingers. It was liquid but it was not hot nor cold.

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by greenquark View Post
      When the compressor was working and the AC was on. I pressed the valve on the high side and I got this on my fingers. It was liquid but it was not hot nor cold.

Any ideas?
      That's normal.

When the compressor is running, do you get negative pressure on the low side?
      That's how I knew my expansion valve was bad.
      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
        That's normal.

When the compressor is running, do you get negative pressure on the low side?
        That's how I knew my expansion valve was bad.
        Waiting for good sets of manifold gauges...

What happened to the high pressure in your case? ....my low pressure goes almost to zero but not into the negative...i think

Comment

its your expansion valve. Does your compressor lock up occasionally? if so, that also means there's a blockage, and the freon isn't circulating like it should.

Just get a new expansion valve, they're $27 from O'Reilly Auto Parts and it will do the trick. The only crappy part is you need to remove the evaporator to replace it since its housed behind the glovebox and on the evap.

Once I replaced mine, I had ice cold air in my 92LX, like 38 degrees cold even with R134a. It was well worth it.

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
            its your expansion valve. Does your compressor lock up occasionally? if so, that also means there's a blockage, and the freon isn't circulating like it should.

Just get a new expansion valve, they're $27 from O'Reilly Auto Parts and it will do the trick. The only crappy part is you need to remove the evaporator to replace it since its housed behind the glovebox and on the evap.

Once I replaced mine, I had ice cold air in my 92LX, like 38 degrees cold even with R134a. It was well worth it.
            I took it apart already, cleaned everything up and put it back...I didn;t replace the TVx because up in Canada is so freaking expensive/time consuming to get things, I gave up.

I think as a project I will take everything down and as the DYI's
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165508

Do it Nice or Do it Twice ...:/ ..Imagine If I replace TVx then it doesn't work again....I will kick myself!!

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post

I got mine for $15 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was slightly different than the original, but it went right in, and works great!

Also, changing the expansion valve wasn't to hard to do, it takes time, and if you don't break anything (grrrrr) it's straight forward!
              I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Now talking to a friend. He was pointing out that the high pressure port is AFTER the condenser ( just before the lines get into the car). And a blockage in the condenser would make the high line colder than ambient , and it is most likely than the expansion valve failure.

Comment

Working...
                X