Modern Cars SUCK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AhYesCB7 View Post
    When we do leather on most Nissans and other odd cars like Acuras and some US cars you have to be sure not to switch the key to the on position without the seats installed and plugged in. If you do the air bag system goes apeshit and we have to have our air bag techs come and flash the ECU with their ultra expensive software. If you take the same identical seats from one Subaru and put them into another one just like it the air bag system goes crazy because the serial numbers dont match and the ECU sees that.

I don't even want to imagine how much money my employer has spent to keep up with just the air bag systems in these cars.
    You are right; we should prioritize a service tech's time over people's safety lmao.

Service techs hate cars by default; they hated them "back when cars were great" and even before that.

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

There's a new generation of techs out now too. It's a weird era right now as we have people experienced in their field but a new generation of is here now. They are just old enough to have no experience in older technology (modem or a carburetor yet that is when technology first kind of started. If you are in your 30's + you've lived the creation of the OBD1, OBD2, and every other gizmo. If you're 20 you've only read about some things.

When you think about it too OBD1 requires you to know more about electronics too. Trace down a fault, etc.

That and we all know that car manufactures make around 60% of their profit from maintenance visits. ^ dont' quote me on that. And at the same time, there are A LOT of people out there that do not want to service their own vehicle. So it is a win / win situation too.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
        You are right; we should prioritize a service tech's time over people's safety lmao.

Service techs hate cars by default; they hated them "back when cars were great" and even before that.
        "Back when they were great" it was expected of you, as the owner and operator after all, to know how to perform maintenance and repair your own horseless carriage.

Please explain to me how taking the drivers seat out of a blue 2017 Forester and swapping it out with the same exact seat from a red 2017 Forester is a safety issue and should result in wasted time and money?

If the seat is put in and I don't tighten the bolts the car wouldn't have a care in the world so "safety" isn't the issue.

Comment

I'm thinking that's more of an anti-theft or tamper-proofing feature more than a safety issue. If it is a safety issue, the only legitimate reason that I can think of to do that is to make sure that you get charged $$$ for having the SRS system "professionally" inspected and reset.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Any new technician coming through trades school would be best suited to get an apprenticeship at a small local garage. Any tech who goes straight to a dealership is really learning nothing. All they are learning is how to hook up a computer and replace a part. If that doesn't work go on to the next part. Kind of like those who work at call centers. Once you get to the end of the flow chart it's all ah duh ah duh.

A real mechanic will follow a troubleshooting chart. However, it doesn't end at the OBD computer. It goes into testing resistance and wiring. With the newer models, there is no diagnostic work any more. It is basically replace a part. There are a few techs that still have the passion for cars. Those few will actually do real trouble shooting that involves more than just plugging in an OBD scanner. These are the type of tradespeople that we will be relying on! The numbers are dropping! Not everyone drives a brand new car.
            Last edited by GhostAccord; 10-28-2017, 02:10 AM.
            MR Thread
            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

^^
              Which is why I’m worried techs are going to evolve into parts changers.

Comment

Yep. And when I go to Acura appointments these days OMG some of the techs look young. Yes I'm getting old, but I can see how they are coming from school to dealership, compared to the past.

I had a slow creek sound in the rear when coming to a stop. I asked Acura to take a look. First time, couldn't replicate. Second time, told me it was the upper control arm bushings, I said ok. Replaced them. Next day, sound still there. Finally I jacked it up one determined day to figure out the sound. Turns out th whole caliper was seized it wouldn't even come off easily, nor any piston retraction.

Lately they also used wayyyy too much anti seize between the piston and pad and it oozed out on hot days. New to me, but for weeks I had this every 2nd day. More on one side. I spoke with the service tech/appointment guy who I do know and jokingly asked if he had some newbie's back there. He rolled his eyes and smiled.

But the opposite applies too. I took my cb7 to Acura for an alignment (spc camber kit on front), and an old guy messed it up so bad! It came back worse and they charged me $200. I complained to the service manager and they took it back and did it proper. The reasoning for worse is that the older tech was not familiar with the newer technology/lift system / spc camber kit in the front.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                  ^^
                  Which is why I’m worried techs are going to evolve into parts changers.
                  i get techs that take off cylinder heads and bring them to me so i can adjust the valves. smh
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                  X