No announcement yet.

Rilas : 1993 Accord SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been slowly continuing to poke and prod at the exhaust ports. Here is where 3 out of 4 are currently at. Mind you I broke the tip of one of the bits. So the carbon and casting around the valve guide will be cleaned up in the future, as the one one the left is in the following pictures.

Exhaust Port 1 (Finally all casting is cleaned up walls and port roof are smooth. Touch more work around the valve guides and they are done. I still have done absolutely no work to the port floor yet. I'm going to turn the head here soon and briefly just clean up the floor, but not remove any more material then I need to. So these ports are getting very close to being ready to polish up. Finally the hard part is almost over.)

Exhaust Port 2

Soon this thing will be off to the machine shop and I can really overhaul and cleanup/reorganize the garage. It's over due to many projects piled up back to back. More updates coming soon.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I adjusted the timing and fixed my oil pan gasket. She's back to beast mode. You'd love how she pulls now.
      The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
        I adjusted the timing and fixed my oil pan gasket. She's back to beast mode. You'd love how she pulls now.
        I'm sure I would love it . Hopefully I can experience that on my own in the coming months. Considering I'm slowly making progress on this damn H22 head. It's getting closer to going to the machine shop.

Comment

No pictures for updates but yesterday I got to spend about 5 hours working on the exhaust ports. Almost totally done with the casting/smoothing. I just have 1 more area that I have to work out on all the exhaust ports. Then it's time to move onto polishing them up. Which will go much quicker than the cleanup process. Maybe in the next week or two I'll actually get this head off to the machine shop to get cleaned up the rest of the way.

Comment

Well not a huge update. But I've spent many many hours standing at my workbench slaving away at the exhaust ports in the H22A1 cylinder head. I've got 2 of the ports pretty much done. I just need to do a bit more polishing in them and they are done. All the casting and everything else is worked out and smooth now. Everything flows nice and even. It's a big improvement from where it started at.

Exhaust Port 1 (After taking these pictures I noticed this particular port still needs a bit more polishing. I will clean these up tomorrow night.)

Exhaust Port 2 (I don't have any bits that I can work the rough area out by the valve guide. It's still a million times better than the factory left it though.)

Exhaust Port 3 (A little bit of roughness still left by the port divider. Will work this out tomorrow as well.)

As you can see I almost have this damn head off to the machine shop to be cleaned up, most likely resurfaced, and a 3 angle valve job. I'll check on the status of the block, and hopefully get some pictures of it, when I drop the head off. I meant to get a few pictures of the bowls but I forgot to turn the head when I had the camera out there. Maybe tomorrow I'll get some pictures of it.

I also managed to put in a bit of time working on fitting the back seat. Its almost looking like it was meant for the Accord from the factory. One more go at it should have it finished up. I don't have any pictures of the seat though at the time being.

Comment

Well over the past week I've just kept plugging away as time permits. As I was working on my last 2 ports, and finishing them up I found I needed to put more work into the first 2 ports to be happy. This is now done. I've started the polishing process now. As I decided I've put enough time into working the ports at this point. Following is where 2 of the ports are at now. I would have gotten a bit further but I ran out of the abrasive wheels that I'm working with. I'll pickup some more on the way home tonight and continue forward.

H22A1 Exhaust Port 1

H22A1 Exhaust Port 2

H22A1 Exhaust Port 3

H22A1 Exhaust Port 4

All of the above pictures are of port 1 on the cylinder head. At least I feel like there is finally progress.

Comment

I stopped by the machine shop today on the way home from work. My block was up on the bench getting prepped to bore out the FRM sleeves and press in the Darton iron ductile sleeves. Also I'm not going to be getting new rods for this. They are going to hone out the rods and press in the wrist pins. So no floating wrist pins for the time being. If the rods wear out I'll buy a set of H22A4 rods and a new set of wrist pins. I'm trying to keep the costs down though since I had to purchase sleeves and pay to put them in the block. I think I'll stop by the machine shop tomorrow and see if I can get some pictures of the block with the new sleeves.

Comment

Last night I managed to get the first 2 ports mostly polished. I need to get some more bit for the Dremel though. I did find a spot in each port that has tiny dips in it. I need to polish them out with the roughest wheel. I will get a picture of a polished up port in a few days. On another note I stopped by the machine shop again today, and low and behold I have some pictures!

H22A1 Block with Darton Sleeves 1

H22A1 Block with Darton Sleeves 2

H22A1 Block on Decking Machine 1

H22A1 Block on Decking Machine 2 (Here you can clearly see the slight lip on the sleeves. I stopped in as they were attaching the block to the machine that will deck it.)

So while this machine shop hasn't done a lot of work on Honda engines. I seem to be the fool that keeps going back there. But they have done a lot of other work for me and none of it has had issues yet. So I do trust their work. Mike the machinist working on my block did mention that this has the nicest aluminum he has ever worked. It just cut much cleaner than all the other aluminum blocks they have sleeved. Also he was very impressed with the quality of the Darton sleeves, compared to whatever they put in domestic engines. All in all this left me very confident with the work that was done to this block. Next week they will hone out the rods for the wrist pins, then start working on balancing the rotating assembly. The crankshaft will also be micro polished sometime during this as well. Next week the sleeves are getting bored for the pistons as well. They are working on getting a quote together on resurfacing the rocker arm pads. I feel like I'm forgetting something, but thats a decent update for the day.

Comment

It's nice to see the excitement and devotion in this thread. Like a young buck in the cb7 community! Love it. Subscribed.

You know......, no better time to replace those rods than now. Especially if you want to shoot for high HP down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                      It's nice to see the excitement and devotion in this thread. Like a young buck in the cb7 community! Love it. Subscribed.

You know......, no better time to replace those rods than now. Especially if you want to shoot for high HP down the road.
                      Thanks for the compliment Raf99! I have so many projects lined up for this car. I just keep plugging away at them. Sort of like your white board you have in your picture of your JDM power folding mirrors.

While I woud love to replace the rods right now, it's just not in the budget. I still have to come up with both manifolds and everything on them, ecu, new seals, and bearings. Then pay the machine shop on top of it. I have no problems with tearing this apart later and rebuilding the bottom end stronger. It's not like I won't have an extra running engine or two laying around.

Comment

Small update. I put in a few more hours on the H22A1 head. Each of the ports has a small area with a few small dimples left in it. While these can't be felt individually the areas they are in, are just slightly rougher than the rest of the ports. I've been working on working the dimples out and polishing the ports. Tonight I should have some pictures of a finished port. I plan on putting in a few more hours tonight. I would like to get this to the machine shop this week. Would be a nice way to wrap up the year for car projects.

Comment

I've kept working on this as time allowed the last few days. All of the following pictures are on exhaust port 2. Note I've only polished the mouth and throat of these so far. I still need to rotate the head once I've finished all 4 ports as the head sits currently. But not much time will be needed to polish out the bowls. As all of the technical work is done from this side.

H22A1 Exhaust Port 1

H22A1 Exhaust Port 2 Left Valve Guide (This needs a touch more work on the one rough area.)

H22A1 Exhaust Port 3 Right Valve Guide

H22A1 Exhaust Port 4 Center Divider

H22A1 Exhaust Port 5 Port Roof (This also needs a touch more work mainly on the left side.)

So far I have ports 1 and 2 polished with polishing compound. I need a few more supplies for the dremel to finish up ports 3 and 4. While I really should spend a bit more time working the ports out. As you can see there is still a little roughness left. I really need to get this off to the machine shop so I can work on the insulation in the attic of the house. I will polish this head out fully on the exhaust ports when it comes off of the engine again for whatever reason. At this point flow should be increased with a minimal loss in velocity. The ports were slightly widened directly around the valve guides but otherwise just cleaned up. All in all it should help with the bump in compression to help get the gases out of the combustion chamber.

Comment

A few small things I managed to be done before the end of the year. Sadly this is probably the last decent update for a few weeks. As I've now moved Lola out of the garage to work on reorganizing it. Somehow I've already managed to break down 3 more front seats and put them up in the lofts. I can't believe I've been shuffling around them for months now. The only seats left down on the garage floor are my '01 TL front seats. Now sitting in a position they can actually be enjoyed. Before they were stuffed up against a wall beside the car. Leave only about a foot between the seats and the car. So much room gained.

Black Speaker Pods 1 (I still need to get some new black speaker cover fabric and redo these and the fronts.)

Black Speaker Pods 2

'99 CL Rear Seat Bottom 1 (I still have more shaping to do on this, but at least it's starting to look a little more at home.)

'99 CL Rear Seat Bottom 2

After finishing up reorganizing I get to start relaying the insulation over the house. It's was blown in and has settled to only 1/4 - 1/2" depth over the years. So I get to suffer and lay new stuff in. Although it will be worth it, because we will save a ton of money on the heating bill.

I think once I've finished loading up my car parts loft, I should take a picture. It's pretty rediculous.

Comment

So here are a few pictures of random Honda/Acura parts I've collected over the last year and a half. I still have more at the other garage...

Honda/Acura Parts Pile 1 (This pile was scattered all over the garage on different shelves. Yes the boxes are totally full of parts...)

Honda/Acura Parts Pile 2

Car Parts Loft 1 (So there is a 6th gen rear leather seat, 5th gen rear seat, 3 disassembled leather seats (2 coupe, 1 sedan), 2-3 header/downpipe sets, all the rails for 4 front seats, and some other random stuff on the loft.)

Cart Parts Loft 2 (The shelves are where the random parts end up after being boxed up and labeled.)

So the scary part is that I've actually thrown a lot of stuff out that wasn't in these pictures. Also the front bumper cover is the original off of Lola. I've finally pulled all of the hardware off of it and it's going to the dump. On a bright note though I've scavenged the junk yards for enough years I don't really walk away with much of anything these days. Although I do find the random odd gems sometimes. I do enjoy the hunt though.

Bits used to port/polish H22A1 head.

Not much else to note. Although I'm going to stop by the machine shop tomorrow. They mentioned they could easily lighten the stock flywheel, so this might be an option instead of picking up a lightweight one. As long as labor turns out to be cheaper than a new one. This also depends on the condition of this flywheel (has it ever been resurfaced?). But I'll have a little more insight on this tomorrow. The ring gear on it looks great though. Very little marking if any on the teeth. So only things are the surfacing and the bronze bushing in the center. I couldn't find one for the F22A1 flywheel specifically. So if anyone knows if a replacement could be had for the H22 flywheel it would be appreciated. I haven't even checked into this though. So I'm not asking to be spoon fed, it would be nice if someone knew offhand though.

Comment

I like what I see here! I spent the last 30 minutes reading from the first to the last page here. I like where your coupe is going! Looking at what you are doing gets me motivated again to make a return. I am deff diggin' that F22B DOHC though super super clean. I will be checking back here for updates!
                                The CB7 Collector.
                                Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                                92 LX Coupe F22A1
                                2013 Toyota Corolla S
                                92 EX Sedan F22A1
                                Originally posted by deevergote
                                Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Working...
                                X