PS Pump whine.... (pump ran dry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS Pump whine.... (pump ran dry)

So... while ago I started the car and had a PS hose leaking. I didn't notice it and the pump did run dry for 1-2min. (Pump is less than 2 years old). Now after fixing that and bleeding it there is a whine sound. Both when turning the wheel (more whine when i get to the full range / turn), and especially when driving. A high pitched whine that sounds like it's coming from behind the firewall near the bottom of the A pillar.

Now... Yes, I am familiar with the issue. I remember watching a Eric the Car Guy video long ago where he tried to fix his honda pump, took apart, rebuilt it, bled it several times, re-checked all of his work etc. And eventually gave up! He just went and bought a new one. First video I seen of his where he gave up on something.

I do have a rebuild rubber gasket kit too. I have drained fluids on the pump many times with the car off, then filled it up and then bled with car on. But my first time running the pump dry while car running...

So my question / what do you think?
    - Don't waste my time and buy a new pump?
    - Work on taking the pump off, rebuilding, put back together, re-bleed, try again and again?

Edit:found the link - Eric the Car Guy - Power Steering
    Last edited by Raf99; 07-13-2019, 12:40 PM.

Eric the car guy is pretty good mechanic and really knows how alot of things work on car. If he failed i wouldn't even try it i think. A pump is 100 dollars at rockauto. Maybe eric got the wrong gasket or something. It almost seems like u know what u going to do just need reassurance or very poor like me.

Comment

Rebuild it for the experience, then buy another one when you realize it doesn't work

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Ya. I hear ya's.

So if I rebuild it, what do you think broke? think seals burnt up or shrinked?

Comment

It may have scored the gear teeth and/or bearings, in which case it probably won't stop whining. I have rebuilt several leaking pumps without a problem. I'm on an inventory reduction kick; got one ready to go.

20190714_192701 by Paul Kemme, on Flickr

20190714_192712 by Paul Kemme, on Flickr
          Last edited by Fleetw00d; 07-14-2019, 07:54 PM.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
            It may have scored the gear teeth and/or bearings, in which case it probably won't stop whining. I have rebuilt several leaking pumps without a problem. I'm on an inventory reduction kick; got one ready to go.
            Scored the gear teeth and bearings? You mean wore down metal inside from having no lubricant ?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              Scored the gear teeth and bearings? You mean wore down metal inside from having no lubricant ?
              Yes. It is a gear pump (two internal gears, inlet goes to the "unmeshing" side of the interface, fluid is carried around between the teeth, then is squeezed out as the gears mesh. The bearings are journal bearings similar to crank and connecting rod bearings. The PS fluid acts as a lubricant. If it ran dry long enough, it could have damaged the faces of the gear teeth. A "rebuild" consists of disassembly, cleaning, and installing new seals during reassembly. It won't fix damaged gears (unless you install a new set).
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
              X