Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Intermittent Starting Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent Starting Issue

Out of no where, I've been having an issue with my 1991 Accord where it will crank but not turn over. The fuel pump makes priming noise, the main relay clicks, the plugs/wires/battery are all new. This issue only happens sometimes (maybe 50% of the time it will turn over and run fine and the other times it will just crank and crank with nothing but maybe a small sputter then nothing).

I am thinking it may be the igniter or crank sensor in the dizzy going bad. Any ideas?

Crank sensor is unlikely. Igniter is a possibility. They usually act up before failing, but not always. A failing igniter will usually make the tach flip out before it totally quits on you.
    Check all of your grounds and battery connections. Dirty connections can cause exactly what you describe. I had that happen once after a new battery, and I was at my wits end until I cleaned the connections (with Coke, as I was drinking it at the time and I remembered the old myth about Coke delivery drivers cleaning their battery terminals with the stuff... don't use Coke... but do clean the connections properly.)

Check all battery and ground connections first, as that's free.
    Next, pull a spark plug, crank the engine, and smell for fuel. It's possible that your injector resistor box crapped out, and the injectors aren't firing.
    Then look into the ignition coil, since that's the next likely culprit (especially the 91's internal coil. If it's original, it's probably long overdue for death.)
    Igniter should be fourth.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      Crank sensor is unlikely. Igniter is a possibility. They usually act up before failing, but not always. A failing igniter will usually make the tach flip out before it totally quits on you.
      Check all of your grounds and battery connections. Dirty connections can cause exactly what you describe. I had that happen once after a new battery, and I was at my wits end until I cleaned the connections (with Coke, as I was drinking it at the time and I remembered the old myth about Coke delivery drivers cleaning their battery terminals with the stuff... don't use Coke... but do clean the connections properly.)

Check all battery and ground connections first, as that's free.
      Next, pull a spark plug, crank the engine, and smell for fuel. It's possible that your injector resistor box crapped out, and the injectors aren't firing.
      Then look into the ignition coil, since that's the next likely culprit (especially the 91's internal coil. If it's original, it's probably long overdue for death.)
      Igniter should be fourth.
      Ok, so let me get this straight:

1. Battery terminals and grounds
      2. Injector box (where is this located in the engine bay?)
      3. Ignition coil
      4. Igniter (I thought in these distributors the igniter = ignition coil?)

Comment

Injector box

Ignition coil and igniter (ICM)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          Injector box
          [IMG]http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i354/cyotani/IMG_0992.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/0tMzbPJMvYI/hqdefault.jpg[/IMG

Ignition coil and igniter (ICM)
          [IMG]http://www.team-integra.net/images/BAEC1978-D3A7-4405-AB2D-2761DC15A96D/articles/meltman/timing/05.jpg[/IMG
          Thank you, that is very helpful.

I noticed that when it doesn't want to start, it turns over but sputters out real quick. If I pump the gas, it will turn over as well. It also seems that the RPMs at idle have raised to right at 1000, when before this issue it would float around 600-700. Could the IACV be stuck? Would that cause it not to turn over (but actually cause it not to idle/be starving the engine of air?)

Comment

Working...
          X