A/C line replacement, OEM diagram accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C line replacement, OEM diagram accuracy

I recently got the A/C working in my 92 EX. The system was completely removed, flushed and many components replaced (drier, compressor, condenser, expansion valve all o-rings). I used synthetic ester oil w/dye and even R12 refrigerant (yes I have a 608 universal and 609 MVAC cert).

I left only two lines on the car which I flushed successfully still yet. They are the two that run from around the passenger side headlight / battery tray area to the evaporator behind the glove box. The reason being is this car has ABS which makes them more difficult to remove.

Anyhow, the A/C was working great but I've found a leak in one of the lines running to the evaporator. No big deal, I have recovered about 20oz of R12 and just need to order the line and another 12oz can of R12. However the line in the diagram from Honda doesn't look the same. P/N: 80343-SM4-A91. It's showing a threaded fitting running parallel with the line. Which is not the case. I've never seen one like that EVER and I've done this before. Their description puts the fitting under the battery tray when in reality it's behind the bumper running parallel with the radiator, rad support, condenser etc. Unless of course I'm missing something or there is a design I'm unaware of. I've done Hadsys systems and Denso. The connection is always behind the bumper.

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...-c-hoses-pipes

The line I need is listed as # 16 in the diagram.

The discrepancy lies with where #16 connects to #15.

#15 runs from the pressure switch behind the driver side head light through the radiator support, across the condenser where in reality it has a fitting near the passenger side bumper light and horn. That is where it connects to #16.

What they display in the diagram is #15 runs back through the radiator support (90*) on the passenger side and has the fitting by the battery tray. Which I've never seen before. Anytime you remove the bumper you can see the fitting where #15 (coming from the pressure switch by the drivers side headlight) connects to #16 (which runs to the evaporator).

There is also a discrepancy between part number 80342-SM4-A19 as opposed to 80342-SM1-A19 listed for the same part. Which is #16 which is the line I need.

There is a $35 difference between 80342-SM4-A19 and 80342-SM1-A19. Part #16. The line I need. Which leads me to believe there might be more of a difference than just who manufactures the line.

Again, google search a CB7 with the bumper off. You can see the fitting between #15 and #16 right by the passenger side horn. Not at all where the Honda diagram has it.

I would purchase the line anyhow. Diagrams are sometimes wrong. However there are two different lines listed for #16 and very different pricing and no explanation as to why. And compiled with a possibly incorrect diagram. So that's why I'm stuck.

Long read I know. I've been trying to figure this out. Anyone who can shed any light on this would be very helpful! Thanks!

I did a complete AC install on my CB back in 2013, since AC was optional on all models here so mine didn't have one from factory. Got most pipes and hoses from the junkyard but that same pipe I ordered new from USA.

I remember the confusion of looking at the diagrams and I think there is 2 versions available of the Denso, however the one not having the high pressure line connection behind the bumper seems to be rare, I think they only came on very early 1990 models maybe.

I ordered the part #80343-SM1-A19 and I can confirm this is the version having the connection behind the bumper in front of the radiator/condenser. I just had a look on my CB.

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...3-sm1-a19.html

It's part #15 in this diagram instead of 16 for some reason, OEM part number is also different but this should be the pipe you are looking for. Price seems fair too. Let me know if I can help you further.

Euro CB7 2.2i [F22A3] --> [H22A7]

Comment

lindiz, you are incredible! Thank you so much! I figured the odds were against me on figuring this out without buying both lines.

I see they have the diagram numbers switched around a bit on Hondapartsnow vs HondaAutomotiveParts. But, that's ok. 80343-SM1-A19 is exactly what I'm looking for!

Also, a life long friend of mine has a '90. I'm going to ask him out of curiosity where the connection is on his. This is very intresting!

Comment

If you can still get one new, that's the way to go. I tried finding a replacement several times, the joint was always frozen and I wound up destroying the line in the process of trying to separate the joint. I think I took off three bumpers in one day trying to get a good line.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          If you can still get one new, that's the way to go. I tried finding a replacement several times, the joint was always frozen and I wound up destroying the line in the process of trying to separate the joint. I think I took off three bumpers in one day trying to get a good line.
          That's the kicker. I already tried to get that fitting apart and decided against it. I didn't try too awfully hard as to not damage the lines. However I expect to have a fun time trying. If I can get it apart I'll be good to go.

The lines are listed for sale in quite a few places. They better not be discontinued or I'll be screwed. There aren't many salvage yards near me not to mention ones with Accords. And I have zero time for that. I literally have to take PTO just to work on my cars.

Edit...

Hey, I got a question. Do you remember which fitting rotates or spins? Male or female or both? Thanks fleetw00d .
          Last edited by H311RA151N; 03-09-2020, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lindiz View Post
            I did a complete AC install on my CB back in 2013, since AC was optional on all models here so mine didn't have one from factory. Got most pipes and hoses from the junkyard but that same pipe I ordered new from USA.

I remember the confusion of looking at the diagrams and I think there is 2 versions available of the Denso, however the one not having the high pressure line connection behind the bumper seems to be rare, I think they only came on very early 1990 models maybe.

I ordered the part #80343-SM1-A19 and I can confirm this is the version having the connection behind the bumper in front of the radiator/condenser. I just had a look on my CB.

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...3-sm1-a19.html

It's part #15 in this diagram instead of 16 for some reason, OEM part number is also different but this should be the pipe you are looking for. Price seems fair too. Let me know if I can help you further.
            Thanks again! I got the part I need!

-

Since I struggled with this I wanted to come back and revisit incase it helps anyone else in the future.

80343-SM1-A19 is the correct part number. I'm not sure what the other line fits. Or why the diagrams all seem to display it.

Comment

Working...
            X