Questions about H22 trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about H22 trans

This is actually 2 questions in 1 post. Hope they both get answered or a direction for me to look in.

I recently heard about the H2B swap. Sounded spiffy at first, until I researched it some. And it just seems like too much work. If I heard right, changing the final drive gear on my H22 trans would do me just fine.

So my questions are these. #1) What, in your opinions, would the optimum final gear drive? I have overheating issues in 5th so the lower rpms the better for me. And #2) How would I find out which H tranny I have? I've heard the one with the LSD is really good, and I have the LSD one, I'm just wondering where I can find out which tranny is under my hood. Either for bragging rights (lol) or for if/when I replace my final drive gear.

Thanks oh experts of the CB7.
    Originally posted by HardInThePaint
    Girls should most definitely rep the shocker. Embrace the shocker.

Be one with the shocker.

My ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=187897

What I read:

"My car overheats, I want to fix it by working on my transmission."

Comment

Originally posted by kinguin7 View Post
      What I read:

"My car overheats, I want to fix it by working on my transmission."
      That's my ADD kicking in, not how it was supposed to come off. I'm always thinking ahead to the next headache I want to create for myself. lol

Be one with the shocker.

Comment

Just look at the label on your transmission to determine what transmission you have.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
          Just look at the label on your transmission to determine what transmission you have.
          Cool. Is it in a pretty simple place to see or will I have to crawl under the car somewhere? Newb question, I know. Sorry. lol

Be one with the shocker.

Comment

Its on the top of your transmission, a bar code next to the starter:

Euro CB7 2.2i [F22A3] --> [H22A7]

Comment

Originally posted by lindiz View Post
              Its on the top of your transmission, a bar code next to the starter:
              Nice. Thank you sir

Be one with the shocker.

Comment

Take the 5th gear out of a stock accord trans.

Overheating? Not tranny related. What are you topping out in fifth or something?
                Originally posted by deevergote
                ..It's not cheap to build a fast CB7, especially NA. However, if you're willing to put the money into the car, it's well worth it in the end. There ARE faster cars out there, but some people, like me, want THIS particular car to be fast!...
                Sold to:tanNn2koo,9tAkord,ThrakBarts,nahmo,andrizzle,or anger
                Bought from:93a-lude, bruno8747, soysauce

1993 H22A cb7 <3 miss you
                04 WRX stg 2 sedan
                Current - 02 WRX stg 2 wagon

Comment

Vehicle: USDM 92-96 Prelude VTEC

Gear Ratio Peak Engine Torque / ETE / Power Gain / Cruising (5th Gear)

*OEM 4.266 Final Drive 158lbft / 158lbft / 0% / 70mph @ 3500rpm
                  *MFactory 4.64 Final Drive 158lbft / 172lbft / 9% / 70mph @ 3900rpm
                  *MFactory 5.15 Final Drive 158lbft / 191lbft / 21% / 70mph @ 4300rpm

ETE: Engine Torque Equivalent (How much torque an engine with a stock transmission will need in order to accelerate at the same rate)
                  %: The percentage of Torque Increase between the Stock Transmission and the Custom Transmission
                  Honda H22A Fitments: Will not fit ATTS-equipped transmissions. Is also suitable for Euro-R/Accord Type-R
                  http://www.teammfactory.com/final-drive-gears-road-race

Carbonetic also offers a 4.643 final drive (link) but they say it's not compatible with Prelude trannies that came stock with a viscous LSD. MFactory doesn't mention this, at least not for their Prelude application, but I don't know if USDM and JDM limit-slip diffs were of different styles and MFactory only had USDM on the mind...

Personally, I'd go with a 4.64 final for a daily driver and otherwise use Prelude 1st-4th gears with an Accord 5th. Looks to be a good compromise between fun in the streets and reasonble comfort on the freeway. But before you do anything, fix your overheating problem.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I don't know what good an Accord 5th gear (specify, there's at least three ratios I know of) would do when it's coupled with a 4.64 final drive. It seems to me that fuel economy is kind of out the window at that point.
                    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

A taller gear is a taller gear and there's going to be a bit of a difference. But if my years of messing around with cars' settings in Gran Turismo () is anything to go by, with unmatched cogs it's going to feel a bit unnatural working up through the gears at a steady pace and then suddenly dropping off a hair more in the powerband once you hit fifth. I doubt changing fifth would help any but the people that spend a lot of time on the freeway; in town would be interesting.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Two points in rebuttal:

1) Your powerband isn't terribly important in 5th gear. If you're doing any sort of driving at the track or 1/4-mile racing you're never going to be in 5th. That said, the drop off wouldn't be an issue.

2) I don't think that this gear ratio would be ideal even for in-town use. People who have driven with the Accord transmission that swap over to the Prelude transmission already feel that it's a huge jump. That aftermarket 4.64 is for racing purposes only, in my opinion.

Comment

1) We're not all building track cars, hence why people swap Accord 5th gears into their Prelude transmissions. I've read of lots of people, across multiple chassis, that changed the final drive in their street cars (it's actually incredibly common among the muscle car crowd) and they don't complain. "Powerband" doesn't automatically mean gearing to get the best performance out of the engine. But hondamikk never said what direction he was trying to go in, so all I can do is throw out a bunch of ideas and try to hit several points in the spectrum.

2) If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the 4.6 final put a Prelude about on par with an Integra Type-R?

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I'm not saying that putting an Accord 5th gear in your transmission is ill-advised at all. I'm saying that the logic behind coupling that 5th gear with a 4.643 final drive seems a little backwards.

I don't know why I'm just now seeing this but OP, why do you say that you have the LSD transmission but not know which transmission you have?

Comment

I'm only thinking the trans gear issue because when I'm putting down the freeway at about 3000 - 4000 rpm depending how fast I'm going, my temp slowly starts to climb. Thought perhaps something that revs a little lower at freeway speed might help. It's a stretch, but I'm just at the looking into it point right now.

Jarrett, when I bought the engine, I was told it had factory LSD. I never verified it myself, guess I kinda took the place at their word. So I'm gonna look at the bar code to make sure the tranny I was told I have is actually the tranny I have. And if I need to do an edit and take off LSD, then so shall I do. lol

Be one with the shocker.

Comment

Working...
                              X