Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

92 Accord LX to 93 EX questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92 Accord LX to 93 EX questions

Hi,
    I have a 92 Accord Lx with 480,000 original miles. It blew a head gasket and rather than rebuild the head(it needed it), we found a used engine with 150,000 miles on it. The engine is in and runs well. We used all of the external parts from my car. The engine came out of a 1993 EX car. The engine is fundamentally the same right? (I had originally thought they were an identical engine. oops) What are the differences that might cause these issues?
    My concerns are:
    The check engine light comes on at about 35-40 mph and stays on. The car runs perfectly fine. I wonder if the sensor from the engine I put in is not communicating with my computer like it should. Any ideas?
    The tach is being weird. At idle, the tach shows 0 rpm's and yet the car is idling fine. The tach does not appear to be accurate anymore. It goes up and down like it should, but seems to be off some.
    It does have the erratic idle issue. I am not worried about that. We have fixed that before. No real issue there.

Any ideas??
    I tried to read the CEL codes and cant find the little plug on on the passenger side kick panel area.

Not having the right ECU got the engine can cause symptoms like you described.

IIRC the 93 EX could have came with a F22a6 which requires the PT6 ECU to run correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip-Eye View Post
      Not having the right ECU got the engine can cause symptoms like you described.

IIRC the 93 EX could have came with a F22a6 which requires the PT6 ECU to run correctly.
      This exactly. An ecu from the ex should fix all of those problems.
      Looking for a new CB. Sell me yours!

Comment

Agreed. Although if you want the IAB to work properly, you need to run a wire from the IAB control valve through the bulkhead to the ECU and a second wire to ground.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          The ECU provides ground in that circuit. The other wire goes to switched 12volts.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
          JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Thank you. So, I was told that the engine was from an EX. I just went and checked on the front of the engine and it says F22A1, NOT F22A6. So hmmm? Maybe its an LX engine? We used the exhaust, my FI (intake?) and the distributor.
            Now I am not sure.. What all does the ECU communicate with? With these changes in my situation, would you still say it needs a different ECU? I bought the engine at the wrecking yard. Would it be smart to go and get the ECU out of that same car, so it all matched and communicated?

Comment

Your LX came with the F22A1 from the factory so you shouldn't need a different ECU.

I think the key to finding your problem is to find the CEL connector. You will need those codes.
              1992 EX, 306,000 miles - Track toy - M2S4, H23A1, ST rear swaybar, Wagon brakes, GC coil sleeves, KYB AGX dampers, Stoptech pads, Toyo Proxes R1R, 2.25" exhaust

Stock F22A6
              VIR, 5/22/2016: https://youtu.be/eR5-ylSPsxk

H23A1 powered
              NCCAR, 9/4/2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5WpxGrEpE
              CMP, 10/16/2016: https://youtu.be/DOqoe5f-GLY

Comment

For anyone who reads this in the future needing similar help:

A situation in which an F22A1 long block is replaced with an F22A6 long block will not cause a check engine light, all else being equal. At that point, the only difference is the camshaft and it's not that drastic. People swap in Delta camshafts into their F22A engines with no CELs all the time. Why would it suddenly do it with a slightly more aggressive OEM camshaft? This is also to say that you wouldn't need a different ECU (under the previously-mentioned scenario). The PT6 ECU, while it is the correct ECU for that camshaft, will also be looking for the IAB hardware, which a longblock replacement wouldn't have. Sure you could upgrade for the sake of full compatibility, but that's not what was discussed here.

So, if you had a CEL under this scenario, something must have been installed incorrectly, or there is a bad bit of hardware somewhere on the replacement engine. You've now clarified that the engine is, in fact, not an F22A6, but the same F22A1, compatibility issues should not be present. It sounds like you have some bad hardware somewhere.

The very first bit of advice given to you should have been to keep looking for that plug. It's there. Let us know once you've found it and read the code.

And before you come back to post that it's not there, it is. Keep looking.
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by foxboysracing View Post
                  Thank you. So, I was told that the engine was from an EX. I just went and checked on the front of the engine and it says F22A1, NOT F22A6. So hmmm? Maybe its an LX engine? We used the exhaust, my FI (intake?) and the distributor.
                  Now I am not sure.. What all does the ECU communicate with? With these changes in my situation, would you still say it needs a different ECU? I bought the engine at the wrecking yard. Would it be smart to go and get the ECU out of that same car, so it all matched and communicated?
                  The engine you removed from your car and the engine that replaced it are both F22A1 engines. That means they are EXACTLY the same. Every single bit should be 100% identical.
                  As Jarrett said, either something is broken, or something isn't hooked up properly. Find that plug and pull the code. The plug is there. It may be wrapped in tape if it has never been used before.

We can't help you any further until you find that plug and pull the CEL codes.

Comment

Originally posted by djcaz_aom View Post
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                    The ECU provides ground in that circuit. The other wire goes to switched 12volts.
                    Right. I said it backwards.

Comment

Working...
                    X