Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXT: CD5 side skirts over CB7 oem sides.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: CD5 side skirts over CB7 oem sides.

ok im not so good at doing DIY and i dont have much time, i just happened to find some pictures of my installation so ill just post them here with a quick ''how-to'' below

so, really this whole thing is pretty straight foward, i think the pictures speak for themselves...basically remove all the tabs that hold the clips on the CD5 sideskirt, put it over the CB7 sidekirt and cut the front of the CD5 sideskirt so that it sits flush on the OEM cb7 one

then figure a way to attach the new sideskirt to your old one....i used 2 phillips screws on the rear part (as shown in picture) and 2 push pins for the front.

i trimed the new sideskirt (4th picture) where it goes under the fender because with the cb7 sideskirt under it, its too tight and i wanted to avoid possible rust by rubbing against my fenders all the time.
    i also trimmed off a good inch on the bottom of the CD5 sidekirt as seen in picture #1, because the holes dont line up properly and it wouldnt sit flush to the bottom of the car, then used plastic rivets to attach the bottom of the sideskirt to the bottom of the OEM Cb7 sideskirt
    oh and you see the little ridge on the original sideskirt? in picture #2? i trimmed it off too as seen in picture #3, that way when i open the door i see only 1 ridge (from the cd5 sides) wich looks more OEM

last step is to trim your mudflap so that it sits flush to the sideskirt, i dont really have pictures of the process but really i just trimmed it little by little test fitting each time untill it looked good.

i did this post pretty quick, just wanted to throw in the pictures more then anything else, so if you got any question on my install procedure, ask i will answer. i did this in 1 afternoon, just for the heck of it...if it was to redo and if i had more time, i would use a plastic welder, remove all tabs that hold the cd5 clips and just relocate them to align with the holes in the rocker panel so that i dont need to use the Cb7 sideskirt to attach it to the car, would make a much cleaner install but would take forever lol

take a look at my members ride thread for more pictures of the final result

Last edited by Cb7_Qc; 05-27-2014, 06:48 PM.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201008

awesome! ^thanks for doing that! when I get my new ones on, I'll also post on your DIY how I did the front area (under the mudflap) as well, for some added support.

props on the plastic rivets! I didn't do that when i did mine, so i think when i do my black accord i'm gonna try that out

The remaining length can be covered up perfectly by a 5th gen front mudflap
    Last edited by P5ylance; 05-27-2014, 04:51 PM.
    blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

the idea of the rivets was to clear up a few milimeters under the door to avoid rubbing rather then to simply attach it...because with what i trimmed off of the cd5's bottom (picture 1) its so short and stiff that you dont really need to attach it to the car, its never gonna hang
      i noticed that by ''pulling'' the bottom of the sideskirt towards the middle of the car (not sure if im clear here) it would give the whole thing a ''rotation'' movement that enlarges the gap under the door so i decided to put those plastic rivets to hold the sideskirts as far as possible towards the middle of the car

as for the mudflaps, i got them at the junkyard at the same time i got the sideskirts, but my OEM ones have been on sine 1992 lol so the paint is all worned out on the edges of the mudflap and since the CD5 ones are a bit shorter, it would show too much to my taste..and no a compound would not have fixed this ...so i prefered to keep the cb7 ones and trim them
      Last edited by Cb7_Qc; 05-27-2014, 06:52 PM.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201008

Comment

Thanks for the pics! Cant wait to see P5ylance DIY as well.

I just picked up my set of cd5 skirts this weekend.

Comment

okay, so i should be able to start up mines sometime in two weeks and add photos lol
          blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

Working...
          X