No announcement yet.

EXT: Heated mirror glass install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes perfect sense now thanks, if you find one you should let me know since you probably have more CL's over there than over here.

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
    1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
    1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
    2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

I made a revision and pinned the connector with 2 extra pins so it looks cleaner

Comment

nice diy, ive replaced my mirrors with heated ones as well....i dont want to get the switch because my mirrors are power folding(i have that switch), so i will eventually hook the heated mirrors up to the defroster switch. also instead of using an oven you can also use a heat gun.

Comment

Originally posted by illestatus View Post
          nice diy, ive replaced my mirrors with heated ones as well....i dont want to get the switch because my mirrors are power folding(i have that switch), so i will eventually hook the heated mirrors up to the defroster switch. also instead of using an oven you can also use a heat gun.
          That was one way to do it

when i make a wiring diagram for people to follow i will include both ways to do it, i wired mine up to an OEM switch, well you know that because you bought it for me lol

Newer honda's seem to have done away with the heated mirror switch, the newer TL's and RL's rear window defogger and mirror defogger are both togeter.

Oh and don't your mirrors have a blue tint to them? Mine don't.

Comment

Looking forward to the sequel. I just got a pair out of a Legend, but the switch I have doesn't look like it'll fit. I think I might wire mine to my main defroster.
            MRT
            37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
            30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
            27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
            Originally posted by Tippey764
            I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
            Originally posted by deevergote
            sneaky motherfucker

Comment

rofl very cool/creative.
              Annotated pictures are an excellent way to go about DIYs. Just gotta hope that the hosting site sticks around for the DIYer 5 years from now.

Comment

After reading, I wanted to do this. Mainly since my mirrors were already apart for painting but So Cal winters can get so harsh you have to wear pants sometimes. After many trips to junkyard, I finally found a 1st gen TL with heated mirrors. I disassembled them and compared them to an accord while at the junkyard at they looked to match completely. So I took the glass and motors only. I did not get what year the car was, but the mirrors were the bumped out back versions.

After getting them home, I pulled apart the accord motors and they are basically identical except for colors and wire terminals. I simply mounted the heated base plate/glass on the accord motors. Then I soldered on the terminals so it will wire up in the connector. Alternatively, the whole heated motor/glass assembly will bolt into the accord mirror bracket but the motor wire terminals need to be changed.

So I guess if you find the right mirror you can save a little time not having to remove the glass from the base plate.

Comparison of the motors and glass

heater wires with terminals

wired up to the connector

finished
                Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

Clean Lucifer..but the next question is.

How do you properly wire them up?
                  Henry R
                  Koni/Neuspeed
                  1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                  1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                  Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                  made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Ground one wire and run the other to the mirror switch. Then you split mirror power feed off to the defrost switch input. Which terminals to connect to depend on which switch you are using. There at least 4 different connector versions that will fit the stock location.
                    Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

Originally posted by lucifer1 View Post
                      After reading, I wanted to do this. Mainly since my mirrors were already apart for painting but So Cal winters can get so harsh you have to wear pants sometimes. After many trips to junkyard, I finally found a 1st gen TL with heated mirrors. I disassembled them and compared them to an accord while at the junkyard at they looked to match completely. So I took the glass and motors only. I did not get what year the car was, but the mirrors were the bumped out back versions.

After getting them home, I pulled apart the accord motors and they are basically identical except for colors and wire terminals. I simply mounted the heated base plate/glass on the accord motors. Then I soldered on the terminals so it will wire up in the connector. Alternatively, the whole heated motor/glass assembly will bolt into the accord mirror bracket but the motor wire terminals need to be changed.

So I guess if you find the right mirror you can save a little time not having to remove the glass from the base plate.

Comparison of the motors and glass

heater wires with terminals

wired up to the connector

finished
                      Originally posted by lucifer1 View Post
                      Ground one wire and run the other to the mirror switch. Then you split mirror power feed off to the defrost switch input. Which terminals to connect to depend on which switch you are using. There at least 4 different connector versions that will fit the stock location.

I didn't see this before. Awesome information!

Comment

Working...
                      X