EXT: Polish Windshield to Remove Wiper Marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Polish Windshield to Remove Wiper Marks

I have used this to clean up a windshield (93 EX) that was I was considering replacing because it was very difficult to see when driving directly into the sun. It significantly improved visibility on both front (photos) and rear windshields on the wagon. I’ve also used it to polish headlight lenses, remove light scratches from taillights (by hand only), and it did wonders for a set of 90-91 bumper lights (were “fogged” from road debris, came out clear as glass). Works very quickly on plastic.

Tools Needed:

Eastwood glass polishing kit (that’s where I got mine)
    Electric drill or buffer
    Flat bottom bowl
    Water spray bottle
    Rags

Note: This kit will remove windshield scratches that can’t be felt with your fingertip. I believe Eastwood now makes a heavy duty kit for deep scratches.

1. Clean the windshield. Identify scratched areas to be polished.

You can see the wiper marks in the reflections from the trouble light hanging on the garage door opener. Marks were similar on both sides of the windshield.

2. Mark the inside of the windshield with tape where the marks are the worst, typically along the inner and outer arcs of where the wipers run. This shows you the area you’ll have to concentrate on.

3. Follow the instructions with the polishing kit. Fill the bowl with enough water so that it will come up about 1/2 inch on the buffer.

4. Let the buffing wheel soak for about 5 minutes.

5. Use some rags or old sheets to cover the hood and roof (if doing the front windshield, you don’t want the polishing compound on the paint if you can help it).

6. Take the buffing wheel out of the water. Remove some of the water from the bowl, then add enough polishing compound to make a thin paste the consistency of gravy (it doesn’t take a lot).

7. Install the buffing wheel in the drill, then dip into the polishing paste.

8. Hold the buffing wheel perpendicular to the windshield and turn on the drill. Try to keep the speed down so that it doesn’t sling the compound all over the place. Slowly move the buffing wheel over the windshield using a fair amount of pressure. I varied the pattern each time I went over an area: side to side, then up and down, following the arc of the scratches, sometimes perpendicular to the scratches. Try not to let the it run on the edge, it can create spiral scratches that you’ll have to buff out as well. This can take a while depending on how bad the windshield is. I probably spent 3 hours on the first one I did.

9. Use the spray bottle to keep the compound wet on the windshield. Doing it on a cloudy day or in the garage is recommended, the sun will dry the compound quickly.

10. Occasionally use a clean very wet rag to wipe the compound off the glass in a small area, then dry, to check your progress.

11. When you think you’re finished, take the buffer out of the drill and go over the windshield with it by hand.

12. When you’re happy with the results, clean the windshield with plenty of water to wash all the compound away.

I recommend that you then apply RainX. Apply two coats, let dry, polish with a clean cloth, then sprinkle a little water on the windshield and buff with a good quality paper towel like Bounty.
    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 04-02-2021, 05:54 PM.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

nice DIY! to anyone that does this, make sure you keep the drill moving so you don't make wavey areas. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Very nice my rear window is in dire need of a good polishing

Comment

does this work on removing pits on the windshield? mines is filled with that.

93 Accord SE
        02 Highlander Limited

Comment

If you can feel them with your fingernail, it probably won't remove them. As I said in the original post, I think Eastwood now has a more agressive polishing kit that might do the trick. There is a limit to how much you can polish it and still have it be structurally sound. Other issue is the more you polish, the more likely you are to create waviness/distortion of the surface.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

i so need to do this!

Comment

this is definitely a great writeup! I know a couple of ppl could use this

Originally posted by Juice21
              thnx pimpette, your car inspired me to go lower
              Originally posted by GameChewer
              Shiit i heard that, you heard the queen!

Comment

my brother used 1000grit on my headlight once! and i used this method and it came out like a champ, i used ceruim oxide http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=c....c0.m270.l1311

And OP you defo right keep the speed down, it slings everywhere!

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
                UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
                NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

I wonder if this will work on my scratch out windsheld... look like at one point the wiper blade flew off and the metal wiper arm scratch it.. I probably have to sand it down with 1000-1500 grit first though.
                  Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

After polishing another windshield and having more scratches than I started with, make sure the face of the buffer wheel is clean. I probably had a piece of grit on the surface that created scratches as I tried to polish. I cleaned mine by putting in the drill (dry), spinning it, then using the blade of my pocket knife to scrape the surface. I wound up having to repolish the windshield. Also did the yellowed plastic lens on a headlight assembly for my mother-in-law's Lincoln.

Comment

Nice DIY! I'll have to try this out on my gf's Accord windshield. My Olds still has the original windshield, it's a PPG Sungate thats been discontinued and is impossible to find NOS, so I'd like to slick it up and keep it preserved. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.
                      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Have you tried dish soap and water with 0000 steel wool? I find it to work great as a polisher.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                          Have you tried dish soap and water with 0000 steel wool? I find it to work great as a polisher.
                          For glass or plastic? I wouldn't have thought it to be aggressive enough for glass.

Comment

For glass, the steel wool is extremely sharp. It's an old school tip from a detailer I know. Just keep it lubricated with soapy water and use 0000 or finer steel wool and you are golden.

I'm not trying to destroy your windshield, google or youtube it, it's actually really cool.

Comment

Working...
                            X