Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: OEM wheel buffing/cleaning

OEM wheel buffing/cleaning

This Diy will cure those nasty yellow, faded oem rims you've been riding on since you bought your cb7, why not save a few buck on new rims and make them as pretty as when they used to be. This will also be very similar to my other DIY on minor scratch repair.

TOOLS:

1. a small bucket with warm soapy water
    2. 2000-3000 grit sandpaper
    3. paste or liquid compound (preferably Ultimate compound by Meguires)
    4. paste or liquid carnuba wax (preferably Meguires)
    5. 6" orbital buffer with micro fiber pads.
    -Substitution: microfiber cloth and elbow grease.
    6. 3 separate microfiber cloths, 1 2 and 3.

INSPECTION:
    before you hop away on this cool DIY, make sure what you have IS fixable, any pits or flaking of the clear coat on the rims will not be cured using this tutorial, your best bet is strip it, sand it, and polish it. Please understand that these wheels gets so much abuse from the elements, it is essential that we take care of it with proper maintenance. this is the first step to keep them clean.
    this is what it will look like, this was the best i could achieve with a good wash,

STEP 1:
    Wash the rim really good, while its soapy use a claybar to get every bit of dirt you can get out. this gives a good base.

STEP 2:
    find a small inconspicuous area to test this, just in case you make a mistake, but gives you a way to practice.

STEP 3: pullout a small bucket with soapy water. wet down the area.

STEP 4: grab your high grit sand paper and sand the whole rim for 10-12 seconds, count it out loud (one, one thousand. ect.), this should give you an even sanded area.

STEP 5: wipe down the water with your #1 cloth. check progress, use your fingers to feel the surface, it should be smooth. if needed, repeat for another 10-12 seconds.

STEP 6: pull out the buffer, compound and #2 cloth. put a small amount of compound on the sanded area, and lightly work it around the whole rim. start buffing...in any direction and in the tight spots till the compound starts to fade a bit. then wipe with #2 cloth.

STEP 7: check progress, it should look really good, but you'll want to check with a flashlight, you probably can still see the sanded area. repeat steps 6 and 7 till it is crystal clear. Do not let the compound dry on the rim.

STEP 8: Switch pads on your buffer, and use a small amount of carnuba wax, this will help seal the coat and bring depth to the metal of the rim. once done Let it dry on and glaze over. then wipe with #3 cloth. you should see no scratch and nothing but a very shiny rim

Enjoy:
    Last edited by The-Gr8-Ox; 08-18-2011, 11:40 PM.

1992 Accord EX MT : CB#2
    DIY OEM amber corners w/reflectors

I cant wait for this

I wanna shine the crap outer mine

Bought from:AbsurdNY,92smokeaccord,cb7inct,nevi325,xkjnboix,cb 7resurrector,JoshM

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203451

Comment

tease!
      "My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

Comment

Dammit. My wheels need to look like that.

Comment

Hell to the yeah!!

^^^ Please "Like" & Follow!^^^

IG - @WerdWerx

1990 Accord EX Coupe - Click Here

Comment

strip the clearcoat with aircraft remover and buff with mothers mag or aluminum =P
            frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Originally posted by xkjnboix
              strip the clearcoat with aircraft remover and buff with mothers mag or aluminum =P
              did this with mine, except i sanded mine down a little to get some of the small imperfections out.

Turbo Setup: 100%

Comment

I found 3 of them at the junkyard last week (still looking for a 4th) and they are pitted pretty badly. Hope this d.i.y. covers that...
                96 mx-6, needs work...
                91 accord lx sedan, needs work...

Comment

your best option is to find them in as clean condition as possible ( no scratches etc ) only thing thats gonna get RID of pitting is to sand everything to the lowest level of the pit to even it out. you will loose the factory ridges and be forced to make the wheel look completely smooth and it will look more chromish. youre probably confused but you will find out once u start on them.
                  frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

DO itttttttt
                    1991 HONDA ACCORD EX COUPE
                    2014 Volvo XC70 T6 AWD ----- 2000 Honda Odyssey LX
                    2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S ------ 1994 Toyota Corolla DX
                    2001 Subaru Outback --------- 1990 Infiniti M30

Comment

Time to break out my electric buffer.

Comment

Tutorial is up, thanks for the early comments, hope you enjoy

1992 Accord EX MT : CB#2
                        DIY OEM amber corners w/reflectors

Comment

Nice work. Most people don't realize wheels are clear coated.
                          "My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

Comment

Just wanted to say I followed the directions here more or less and the initial results are pretty good after one go around. I polished the face and the lip on two of my wheels before it got dark and they came out 100% better. Not show worthy mind you, they have a few nicks and such, but they might pass for a 75K mile car. It was crazy how much brake dust I had to clean out from inbetween the vanes. I don't think the PO ever did it. Try as I might, I couldn't get it all this time around, some of it was just too stubborn. I'd say I got 95% of it though.

Of course I didn't wax them since I didn't do all the wheels yet, but I'll probably give them another polish tomorrow when I do the other wheels. They should turnout nice, I have some wheel specific wax.

Does anyone know if headlight polish is any less abrasive than the compound? I thought it might be a good finishing polish.

Before:

After:
                            Last edited by wtfisafleek; 09-27-2017, 11:19 PM.
                            My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
                            Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
                            Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Working...
                            X