Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXT: JDM intersection lights wiring problem... solved!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: JDM intersection lights wiring problem... solved!!

I rehosted the pics so new members can take advantage of this DIY

ok for those of you whom have, or want to get intersection lights but dont know how to wire them so that they work as there supposed to, this will help you. The intersection lights are supposed to come on, and stay lit, as your turn signal comes on and blinks. Using a traditional relay will not create this effect, because it cant create a solid current (for intersection lights) from a pulsing current (from turn signals).

Other vehicles such as Nissan Maximas, Cadilacs, and Range Rovers have intersection lights, which are actulally refered to as cornering lamps. The cornering lamps work on a controll unit, that uses the current from the battery and a signal from your turn signals to illuminate the cornering lamp.

So this is what I did:

I went to the junkyard and pulled the corner lamp control unit from and 87-89 nissan maxima (located under the hood on the driver side close to the fuse box) it is labeled CONT. CORNER LAMP. cut the harness leaving enough wire to work with. You may also want the bracket held on with phillips head screws, this will make it easier to mount the control unit. I opted to leave the bracket because the screws were stripped, and i was going to hide the unit anyway. I have junkyard connections so I got it for free, you can prolly pick one up for less than $10 bucks... or five-finger it since it will fit in your pocket...control unit looks like this

using this schematic (for maxima control unit) I wired up the control unit

sorry for the cut off pic ill break it down
    R/W- 12v constant source ~ fused 15A
    R/Y- low beam headlight lead
    Orange- high beam headlight lead
    Or/Blue- left intersection light
    Or/Black- right intersection light
    G/Y- left turn signal lead
    G/R- right turnsignal lead
    black- ground
    *lead= the wire suppling the power to the light, not the gound-which is black*

when connecting the wires from the control unit to the headlights or turnsignals just use a wire tap, such as these

As for the actual cutting of the bumper and installing the lights, I used some 2" masking tape and traced the trim ring of the intersection lights. If you have a stock oem bumper there should be templates on the back side of the bumper, but mine didnt have that, so be sure to measure both sides to make sure they are in the same place BEFORE YOU CUT! I cut it out with a wiz wheel, some sort of air saw, and a round file to make it smooth.

Finished product:

what do ya think? i hope this helps some.
    Last edited by cincy90h22; 06-20-2008, 11:06 PM.

Nice, ill have to do this once I get around to installing mine.

Comment

Thats nice to know, and a clean install. Good work.
      http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

heading to the wreckers....

thanks dood.
        welcome to the DOHC-side..muuuahahahahahah

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1906

Comment

Good job man. I've been thinking of doing that but no time. Clean instal

Na Lobi Bien Mua Café Mua Café Oyo Na Meli Elingi Ko Bima. J'aime les Madesu ya Mpembe que du Poulet!!!

Comment

i have a feeling its this model

cuz i searched all day for the ones after that with no luck for that module

Comment

^^^ yes thats the year/body style that my control unit came from. driver side fender wall just behind the headlights. the next body stlye up- more rounded- is in the driver side kick panel.

Comment

nice A+++
                "LAND OF THE GREAT"!! OSAKA,JAPAN

Comment

Originally posted by accord_inspire
                  nice A+++
                  coming from you.. thats quite a compliment.. ^the jdm master has spoken^

Comment

back...

i was in a rush... i took a relay corner lamp on the kick panel

i have the wiring diagram, tried it, and doesnt work. it still flashes.

wrong part?????

Comment

Originally posted by f22-dohc
                      back...

i was in a rush... i took a relay corner lamp on the kick panel

i have the wiring diagram, tried it, and doesnt work. it still flashes.

wrong part?????
                      it flashes? maybe it is wired different than the above model, ill pull up a diagram from a newer model and check it out tommorow. it shouldnt flash if it was hooked up wrong it just wouldnt work

Comment

whooooa finally i was planning to go the the junkyard and take out a module/relay from a old caddy or lincoln. but since you did this write up i will stick to what you did. great job.

thanks

Comment

ah i always love wiring diagrams! thanks for sharing your findings. now it's time to find the lights!
                          1cor10:31
                          - 92 LX coupe
                          - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by timmy0tool
                            ah i always love wiring diagrams! thanks for sharing your findings. now it's time to find the lights!

haha i feel the same way.. brings me back to highschool days from electronics class. i know now why i always got an A for the class

Comment

any news on this??

Comment

Working...
                              X