Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXT: OEM Fog Light installation (USDM 9293, others similar)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: OEM Fog Light installation (USDM 9293, others similar)

let me mention right now that this may not be the "proper" way to install them, we know there are OEM templates available, but we didnt have them, and we installed them our own way, and it turned out great. so this is how mauricio (excalibur02) and myself installed some pretty OEM USDM 9293 fogs on his car... so all the pics you see are of his car, not mine :P so yeah, on with the DIY!

timmy0tool did a followup DIY thread with better pics and a little more info, so take a look at his thread too: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=15489

Required tools/parts:
    - dremel with cutting disc and sanding wheels
    - hacksaw blade
    - ratchet set/wrench to remove bumper
    - wirecutters / strippers / electrical tape / stuff for wiring
    - APC foglight wiring harness kit
    - the fogs, with brackets and connectors

STEP 1 : remove the bumper following the other DIY guide by usc

STEP 2 : get yourself prepared for where the bumper will be cut. this is an overlay pic so you can see where the edges of the fogs will line up. if you look at some of the later pics, youll be able to see how it turned out. the second pic is of the rubber trimming that gets installed around the fog... it should also help give an idea how itll be installed. EDIT: OEM bumpers have a faint trace outline on the backside of the bumper, its like a faint double dotted line showing where the bumper is supposed to be cut. i dont know if you should cut along the inner or outer line, try the inner one first... if the foglight doesnt fit, you can always use a dremel and extend the hole to reach the outer dotted line

STEP 3 : cut the hole out, but just the general shape, but make sure you stay "inside of the lines" - the hole will be trimmed down and rounded and perfected later. if you have the OEM bumper, follow the trace lines on the back side like mentioned in step 2. aftermarket bumper ppl, youre gonna need to guess.

STEP 4 : use a dremel with some sort of medium to heavy sanding cylinder on it, and trim down the edges of the bumper, rounding it out and makign it the perfect shape for the fogs. when you get it done, the rubber trimming (pictured in step 2) should fit perfectly into the hole and stay in place. youll start gettign a feel for it as you try. thats me with the dremel, wearing the cheesy goggles... i got a chunk of melted bumper plastic in my eye, and that wasnt fun... so USE GOGGLES... melted shards of plastic fly everywhere.

STEP 5 : test fit the fog light. the bracket on his fogs (USDM 92-93) had 3 screw holes along the bottom, two on the top corners, and one center brace on the top center. when reinstalling the bumper, one of the bolts that went behind the bumper lights gets put thru the top center brace on the fog light bracket, and it helps hold it. for some reason the top two corner screw holes didnt line up, so those brackets were bent out of the way, and only the 3 bottom screws and the top brace were used. its very solid.

STEP 6 : wire them up! mauricio's friend had given him an APC fog wiring kit, so we used that. it had the switch and wiring harness all pre-set up. im not going to explain how to make your own harness, i say just go out and buy the APC one, it made life SO easy, just run the wires and plug them in. the connectors that came with the fogs need to be spliced onto the ends of the APC wiring harness. right now he is using the APC button to control them, but he has an OEM fog switch and connector... when we get a chance to wire that up in place of the APC button, ill post up a diagram of where each pin gets connected. you can barely see the two white wires hanging out of the corners of his car, ready for the bumper to be installed and the fogs hooked up.
    Last edited by excalibur02; 11-21-2010, 09:21 AM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

heres some "eye candy" - pictures of the finished product. it made his front end look much better! dont mind the absence of his front grille... its being DIYed.

oh yeah he also got a 94-95 OEM lip installed that night
    Last edited by excalibur02; 11-21-2010, 09:22 AM.

Current cars:

Comment

wow, awesome addition to the DIY forum guys!

i'm sure it'll help out a lot of people... or at least the ones that are lucky enough to get their hands on a set of those fogs..

they look really good mauricio... and i really like the 5th gen lip too. your car is coming together nicely. now you just need that DIY grill to really set your front end off

Comment

looks good
        86 nissan 200sx turbo

Comment

now correct me if i'm wrong here but i heard there is a template or outline on the backside of the bumper to show where it needs to be cut for the foglights. did the bumper have this? do all bumpers have this (USDM and JDM)?

great DIYer! i might just have to cop a set .
          1cor10:31
          - 92 LX coupe
          - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by timmy0tool
            now correct me if i'm wrong here but i heard there is a template or outline on the backside of the bumper to show where it needs to be cut for the foglights. did the bumper have this? do all bumpers have this (USDM and JDM)?

great DIYer! i might just have to cop a set .
            eh... people say that OEM bumpers should have an outline on the back, showing where to cut... but we couldnt find anything similar to that... so who knows (his might be aftermarket?). also there is a paper template from Honda, idk if you can still get it from them, but a few people on this site have the template... i guess you lay it down and make the outline or something, not sure. we didnt use any template, cut out the general shape, and kept doing it little by little until it fit the fog light properly. eh, i guess it worked... lol.

Current cars:

Comment

I have the template. Scanned it tonight. I will put it up soon after I join the two scans since it's so long.

Funny, I have different rubber surrounds on my kit.

It's more like a tubing that's split down the middle and made to pinch the opening.

Comment

those lights look really good..makes me wanna buy back my bumper from you
                5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

damn i want oem fogs. If anyone has any for sale Pm me !

Comment

oh shit wuts good guys i didnt know this was made lol. thanks mike for the diy. it was easier than i thought when we did the install.

i got a digi cam so when its nice and clean i will take pics of my car and make a new sig lol that sig is mad old

so thanks for all the comments guys

mauricio

Comment

nice write up and pics

Comment

Can you rehost pictures please
                        No more cb7, 7 years of ownership and 196K on the ticker before she was sold

Current beast: 98 ej8 on 7psi with a 15g turbo and other goodies!

NREMT-B | 300D and some glass

Comment

Originally posted by VRDrvr
                          Can you rehost pictures please
                          taken care of

Current cars:

Comment

Thanks cpmike ....I think the 9091 would be easier mainly due to the "cutout" is kinda already there.

example pic:

Mike, how would you rate this install...based off someone with common wiring knowledge etc. (basically the hardest thing to date I have done has been brakes and 5th gen lip install )
                            Last edited by VRDrvr; 10-03-2004, 09:30 PM.
                            No more cb7, 7 years of ownership and 196K on the ticker before she was sold

Current beast: 98 ej8 on 7psi with a 15g turbo and other goodies!

NREMT-B | 300D and some glass

Comment

twas very easy... used a hacksaw blade (handle not attached) to cut the general shape, then a dremel to round it out. besides that, the foglights just screw in. most people would be able to handle it.

Current cars:

Comment

Working...
                              X