Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Can I use a 3rd gear as 4th gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use a 3rd gear as 4th gear?

I've been doing some calculations and was wondering if anyone's ever tried flipping over 3rd gear on the mainshaft to use it as 4th gear. The ratios would be perfect in this transmission i'm building.
    Some know me as the "Tranny Guy"

No. Different size, teeth, etc.

Comment

It won't on the countershaft

Comment

Plus if you flip it the spacing will be off, the teeth will not match up to the other gears and the sizing is all wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
          Plus if you flip it the spacing will be off, the teeth will not match up to the other gears and the sizing is all wrong...

IMG]http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab173/raf99_bucket/temp/635b76eb-7542-489b-a4e9-83eaf541d830.jpg[/IMG]
          You're wrong.

mainshaft needle bearings are all the same part number. 3/4/5 are the same. So, same centerbore diameter.

From the accord 98-02 manual. pdf page 473
          3rd gear thickness
          standard 32.42 - 32.47 mm

And now from the 4g prelude vtec
          4th gear thickness
          vtec 4th 31.42 - 31.47

3rd gear is 1mm thicker than the 4th gear. so either turn 1mm off of the distance collar, or mill 1mm off the gear. -- That's for the mainshaft.

Countershaft is different. Different inner spline diameters of 3rd and 4th gear i think..... Confirmation pending.

See here for further info.
          http://bensebuilt.livejournal.com/3125.html

Comment

If you know the answers then fill your boots man. Looking like you are comparing a F23 to a prelude tranny (H22? H22A? LSD, non-LSD?) They may be close but a 1mm difference has major consequences for clearances.

Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Bense View Post
              You're wrong.

See here for further info.
              http://bensebuilt.livejournal.com/3125.html
              Are you saying you did it? If so how?

Unfortunately I think the naysayers are right. At our last race we destroyed our stock transmission. So we went searching for the closest, lowest gearing we could find. Time limited our search and we bought a used m2a4. While we were waiting for it to arrive I started scheming in my head. I had a plan of using the gear sets from each of the two transmission to make a close ratio box. I'd graphed it all out and it would have been epic. Top speed would have only been about 120 at about 6800rpm but for Lemons that's plenty, we would have been able to use 2,3,4, and 5 on several straights where we currently use 2 and 3, and maybe 4 for a few seconds. We could have kept it at the peak of the power band constantly. Three or 4 shifts on every straight.

But once we had them both open we saw how the spacers are built into the gears, so to put a tall 3rd in the 4th position would require machining off the spacers, and fabbing new ones to go on the other side of the gear. The photo above illustrates it perfectly.

It was a real disappointment. We thought we were gonna be able to hang with the e30s.

It could be done but the cost would be way more than a low final drive ratio.
              Last edited by ukemike; 07-15-2016, 09:23 PM.
              ==========================
              1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
              1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
              Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
              Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
              M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
              Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Working...
              X