M2a4 - H2u5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M2a4 - H2u5

Not sure where to post this since it's transmission related.

Anyways. I have put together a b series trans before and it came out good. After I picked up the accord I new a trans rebuild or swap would be needed soon. I went to a local JY and picked up a ex H2U5 trans. Came home pulled it apart and it also needed some work. Which was fine because atleast the accord is still on the road and I can work on this one untill it's done.

Fast forward to today. Some local guy on Facebook was selling a M2A4 trans that “was stuck in 3rd gear". He only wanted $40 so I was like eh why not it's only $40 and I nights be able to salvage a few things for the other trans.

Picked it up brought it home. Long story short it had a hole in the case underneath the diff. After seeing that I was kinda bummed. Any ways I proceeded to split in half. After splitting in half I found a 12mm socket chewed up and a bunch of shards of metal or aluminum. After cleaning everything very good. I found not one issue with any of the gears, synchro gears or springs. Only damage was under the diff where the hole was and like something got stuck on the diff body because there's a nice little ring/scratch around it.

So that brings me to my question.

Can I swap all the guts of the m2a4 into the h2u5 case? I didn't think any of it fit. But I went ahead and put it all together using the h2u5 case and everything fit and it closed very nicely.

I haven't been able to find an accurate answer. Any help would be appreciated. I'm not as knowledgeable with the h/f trans stuff as I am now with the b series stuff. Any help guidance would be great. And I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I just couldn't find any section suited for this.

I know that just because it's all ”fit" in the trans case doesn't mean aitll be fine
    Last edited by Phxcb7; 04-17-2016, 02:29 PM.

The info I have is that the H2U5 is for a 1990-93 Accord sedan and the M2A4 is out of a JDM 1992-96 Prelude.

I don't think there is any difference between these transmissions except for gear ratios and final drive ratio. So, if you swapped all of the gears over, it should work fine.

Comment

Yeah i knew that much about the transmissions but i didnt know what was swappable and what was not. Ive done some part number searching and investigating, they both share the same trans case and the same bearings. even the diff part number is the same.

atleast now i can feel more comfortable rebuilding the trans this way. im going to re-strip down, seperate everything and scrub down the parts with solvent and clean up nicely. than put together.

after thats done. im either going to the jy to pull a f23a1 short block and do me a hybrid or just get ah H22 or F20B to mate it to

Comment

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=312544
        That shows what cars the transmissions come in. wagon-r is pretty much correct. You could hit up www.hondaautomotiveparts.com to get specific part numbers for the H2U4. The M2A4 would be a little trickier, since it's JDM (though I've successfully found JDM part numbers before... I just don't have whatever resources I used handy at the moment.) If you compare part numbers, you'll be able to see exactly what parts are different and what parts are the same. Honda likes to reuse parts whenever they can, it seems.

To my knowledge, most of the internal parts of all the H/F transmissions should be interchangeable. I've never done anything with transmission internals myself, though, so it's purely academic on my part.

As for your build... if your car is anything but a plaything, I'd advise against doing a hybrid build. H22A is the best option, IMO. F20B is decent, but pretty much inferior to the H22A in every way. Any option can be enjoyable, but the H22A is the most straightforward to swap, easiest to find parts for, and I truly feel that it has the most to offer in terms of performance.

Comment

The hybrid would just consist of f23 bottom with a6head. Nothing really special. If car ever got stollen ID have more of a chance getting it back with that motor in it. It's my daily and I just want a little more tq. My current engine is on its way out. I did a head gasket on it and while cleaning mating surface on block I noticed chunks of metal missing from the top area of the actual sleeve.
          I also tried to do a valve lash adjustment and they were completely stuck together. I was unable to move the adjuster from the nut. I tried so many different flat head screwdrivers and nothing. It's not my first rodeo so I was a little shocked.

I have my ‘racecar” project (97 integra) already so I'm not planning on doing much to the accord except bring it back to a nice clean car with some tasteful additions.

Comment

Shim the mainshaft properly
            Some know me as the "Tranny Guy"

Comment

Working...
            X