Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

boosted F20B dohc vtec.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast aluminum... they won't last any longer than any other internals. Same material.

Comment

Originally posted by fstacrd View Post
      is This Car Still Going? I Just Want To See How Long Stock Internals Last In F20b?
      X2

Comment

Stock internals will last as long as any stock internals will in an F or H series engine... which is not very long.

Comment

The car is actually still running strong. Ryan got rid of it for a built ls/vtec crx with 62mm turbo cranking out 600hp. Between Ryan and the kid who has the hatch now... There's been a good many trips down the strip and alot of rips on the street. Im with Mike though... It is a ticking time bomb but as of right now its still running strong.

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppa694lyfe View Post
            The car is actually still running strong. Ryan got rid of it for a built ls/vtec crx with 62mm turbo cranking out 600hp. Between Ryan and the kid who has the hatch now... There's been a good many trips down the strip and alot of rips on the street. Im with Mike though... It is a ticking time bomb but as of right now its still running strong.
            is it still stock internals or did any of you put forged internals?

93 accord coupe lxr
            10 fusion se slammed

Comment

I'm assuming that it has stock internals. It wouldn't be a ticking time bomb otherwise!

Some people get lucky with stock internals for a while. Some people don't. evil_demon_01 rebuilt his engine with brand new internals, and he broke a ring land in 6 months. He's not one to halfass or do things incorrectly, either.

Boosting on stock internals is fine, as long as you know to expect a broken ring land eventually. If it's just a toy/project that you don't mind breaking and rebuilding, then there's nothing wrong with it. If it's a primary vehicle that will be a serious problem if it no longer works, then boosting on stock internals is stupid.
              All F and H internals are made of the same material. None will be stronger than any other. Stock F22A internals are probably the "safest", given the low compression ratio. At least you run less of a risk of doing damage due to detonation.

Comment

Still stock internals. The kid who has it now doesn't know the first thing about building cars so he just buys everybody else's cars. He used to daily drive it 20 miles each way up 2 mountains before he got a new job closer to home. Being stuffed into an EG hatch... The f20b does great moving it around so it rarely see's any boost. That's the big reason it's lasted this long

Comment

That's a big factor as well. Little turbos that will spool to significant boost under 3000rpm will probably cause more damage, since regular driving will often be in boost. If you can drive the car out of boost when you don't need it (and when you want to save gas), it should last longer... assuming all other parts and the tune are good.

Comment

F20B on boost as my daily as well, 412whp on stock internals, 3 years running and still goin. No smoke, no ticking, no CEL's no issues.

Comment

Tuning, fuels, crankcase pressure evacuation and service intervals on top of geographic location are what plays a huge part in how the engine lasts. I'd rather make a little less power than expected to be able to enjoy in longer. I see boosted type-r motors go a long time here and I live at sea level. Those are 11:1 motors on 10-16psi most of the time and they aren't as well built as the F20B for bottom end stress.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Comment

What interests me the most about the f20b is people tend to break it the least, and replacing one would'nt cost much more than a set of forged rods/pistons.

So, why not just boost it stock? Just saying, its food for thought. Sure, it'll explode.

Build it with forged goods, and other shit still breaks all the time and spending money is part of the process. Maybe part of that is that people don't play with the f20b as often as other engines get modified, but, you don't find a hole lot of information out there on people destroying their f20b. Sure, there are threads and such, but it does seem like people are getting a decent shelf life out of these motors on boost.
                        Originally posted by wed3k
                        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

My question is does this hold true for it's sister engine the F20A DOHC? Being that they are exactly the same the only difference is that the F20A is Non-VTEC. This has my curiosity.
                          The CB7 Collector.
                          Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                          92 LX Coupe F22A1
                          2013 Toyota Corolla S
                          92 EX Sedan F22A1
                          Originally posted by deevergote
                          Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

I have no hard evidence, but aside from the bore and stroke being the same, something tells me the F20A and F20B are not identical in terms of the bottom end.

The F20B is newer than most of the engines people attempt to boost in these cars, therefore there is a greater chance of survival. 20 year old engines have a good deal more wear on them than 10 year old engines... especially since those 10 year old engines were probably pulled from cars with lower mileage.
                            The internals are still fragile cast aluminum. They will still break.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              I have no hard evidence, but aside from the bore and stroke being the same, something tells me the F20A and F20B are not identical in terms of the bottom end.

The F20B is newer than most of the engines people attempt to boost in these cars, therefore there is a greater chance of survival. 20 year old engines have a good deal more wear on them than 10 year old engines... especially since those 10 year old engines were probably pulled from cars with lower mileage.
                              The internals are still fragile cast aluminum. They will still break.

I really 100% agree with this.

F20b's for $600-$800 are pretty common, so, yeah. Compare that to machine work, rods and pistons, and you are spending about the same money either way. Sure, forged goods won't break but thats not some assurance that you're not going to break other shit all day long.

You have to pay to play, and so, why not? Comparing costs anyways, especially for a novice that cannot build a rotational assembly themselves. You could spend a few hundo on measuring tools alone if you don't have them already.

And for whatever reason, the f20b does seem to have less active shit about blowing up and more people claiming to have success with it + boost. I would'nt advocate for it perse, but, I do think its worth considering if you cannot build an engine when you get right down to dollars and sense.
                              Originally posted by wed3k
                              im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by TheProfessional View Post
                                F20B on boost as my daily as well, 412whp on stock internals, 3 years running and still goin. No smoke, no ticking, no CEL's no issues.
                                Whoa.. If this claim is true, the F20B deserves more credit than it is given.. How many miles do you have on it?
                                Originally posted by Quashish
                                hahaha

noobs be like where to be buying hella flush yo?

Comment

Working...
                                X