Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Fog Light Bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fog Light Bumper

I recently saw a thread talking about JDM style fog lights. I like the way they look but my bumper is not the style that can use them. I need a new bumper as is so I might as well try to find one I can use fog lights with. But I just need to know what style accord it was on or if it was a dealership option.
    Does anyone else have a monthly budget of 10mm sockets or is it just me?

All '90-'93 Accord bumpers with foglights started out as bumpers without them. For the '90-'91, the section you need to remove is a little more obvious. For the '92-'93, there is an outline on the back side of the bumper that's barely visible when the dirt is cleaned off. That line shows you where you need to cut in order to fit the OEM foglights.

If you need a new bumper anyway, stick with the same one you have already. Otherwise, you'll need to add headlights and a grill to your shopping list, as well. If you have a '90-'91, the '92-'93 bumper will cause a gap to show where the headlights meet the top of the bumper. If you have a '92-'93, the '90-'91 bumper will cause the headlights to hang over the edge of the bumper and not really line up perfectly.

Expect to pay around $200-250 for USDM foglights, and $300-$350 for JDM lights, depending on whether or not you have a '90-'91 or a '92-'93. They fit pretty well, given that they're OEM, but they suck for light output. Like really suck. Just be made aware that mod is mostly for what your car looks like with them on, and not for what more you can see now that you have them. And to loosely quote Lucifer1 on here, the wiring "looks like it was done by the accounting interns".
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Wow. Thank you for this information. That's why I love this place. My front end is a messed up mix of 90-91 and 92-93 parts. Previous owner got in an accident and repaired it with a 91. I can probably actually repair the small amount of damage on the bumper but I'm not actually sure if it is 91 or 92. The hood is most likely from the 91 based on the fading and the fenders are 92 but are faded badly. The grill is a modified 90 and I have no idea what year the headlights are.

Thanks for the info about the fog lights being useless. I was just going for looks over function.

How can I tell what year the bumper I have is? I can swap headlights no problem and I have spare grills. But I should make sure I have the right bumper before I order parts.

Comment

Also could I put 90-91 fog lamps onto my 92?

Comment

Here is the front bumper of a '90-'91 without fog lights installed.

Here is a similar bumper that DOES have them installed.

Like I said, the '90-'91 bumpers make it pretty obvious where the fog lights need to go.

Here is the front bumper of a '92-'93 without fog lights installed.

Here is a similar bumper the DOES have them installed.

Here is a close-up of the '92-'93 Accord fog lights installed into the bumper. You can see a rubber strip that lines the hole to clean up the evidence of the cut.

The headlights on a '90-'91 have a flat front surface. The headlights on a '92-'93 have an angle in them that gives them a slight profile, making them a bit more rounded. That's why the bottom of the protrude out a bit further than the ones that are completely flat.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Ok, thanks for that. I was looking around and was able to find the 90-91 for much less than the 92-93, thats why I asked. I might scrape up some money and do this some time. Thank you for your help.

Comment

You can see the difference in the headlights if you look close. The top 90-91 picture shows how the headlight is only curved slightly at the top, then flat most of the way down. The 92-93 are curved from the top to about 2/3 way down, then only the last 1/3 is flat. You can also see the difference in the grilles. As Jarrett indicated, you need the headlights, corner lights, grille, bumper (and bumper turn signals) as a complete set for either 90-91 or 92-93 for everything to line up properly.

Post a picture of your front end to show us what you're dealing with.

You also mentioned the hood was from a 91; the hood is common for all body styles from 90-93 except the 90-91 had an additional rubber strip under the front of it.
              Last edited by Fleetw00d; 06-17-2018, 09:58 AM.
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I scored a pair of Stanley OEM fog lights at the local JK, for my 92 coupe a year ago. I hate to procrastinate like a motha. Anyone have a good sticky on how to open them up and clean them or for a better bulb option?
                Thanks

Comment

Just curious do you guys know what the lights above the fog lights are called? I am missing one and haven't had much luck at the junkyard haha

Comment

Originally posted by CB9_IS_2_BETTER View Post
                    Just curious do you guys know what the lights above the fog lights are called? I am missing one and haven't had much luck at the junkyard haha
                    Those are literally called "bumper lights."

Here are some for 90-91:
                    https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-1990-19...cAAOSwFb5aFyBx

and some for 92-93 (all-clear version):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crystal-Chr...AAAOSwCkFaswWN

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

I keep reading that these old fogs are crap for output, but I think the way they designed them back then was more of making the car easier to be seen in the fog, rather than light up the road more.

I had some factory fogs on an old Pontiac 6000 that were yellow and didn't seem to light up the road that much better but they were very easy to see from far away in dreary weather. If anything they may have made actual fog worse because of how high they were aimed.

Has anyone observed how their lights are actually aimed? Looking at them in pics I think those little silver toothed disks may be the adjusters.
                      My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
                      Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
                      Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Working...
                      X