PC for Gaming and CAD Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC for Gaming and CAD Work

Well I pulled the trigger... I have been thinking about building my own PC for the last year or so and I just ordered a case and RAM. I will be piecing everything else together over the next few weeks. Not particularly excited about spending all the money but I know it will be worth it all in the end. I plan on using this PC for some minor gaming (1080p @~40 - 60fps) as well as running CAD software such as SolidWorks, Inventor, and a little Revit. I would use my laptop, as it has a small graphics card and does run the software, however, that little bugger gets HOT! Plus it's 4 years old and having the CAD software installed really slows the system down. I spent all night on Friday and all day yesterday researching and piecing together a build on pcpartpicker.com and I think I have a fairly robust system coming in at around $950.

Case:
    NZXT S340 Elite in matte black
    CPU:
    Intel i5-7500
    Motherboard:
    Asus Strix B250F Gaming
    Graphics Card:
    Asus Strix GeForce GTX 1060 6G
    RAM:
    Team Vulcan 2 X 8G (16G total)
    SSD:
    ADATA Ultimate SU800 128G 2.5"
    HDD:
    Western Digital Mainstream 1 TB 7200RPM
    PSU:
    SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold

The case comes with 2 120mm fans on the rear and the top. I think I'm going to add 2 more in the front with one hooked to the CPU control and one to the GPU (assuming this GPU has a 4 pin fan connector, I'm reasonably sure it does). I know it's probably way overkill for what I'm planning on using it for, but I'd rather have it be overbuilt and running cold than struggling to keep up. The main thing I'm trying to accomplish with this build is to make it very easy to upgrade in the future. I know I said minor gaming but I'll most likely be changing my mind since this is my first time really breaking into the world of PC gaming. I'm really excited to build this thing and I hope everything works out!
    Last edited by rustyaccord; 05-28-2017, 10:32 PM.

That should be more than enough power to do what you need it do! Pictures would be awesome!
    The CB7 Collector.
    Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
    92 LX Coupe F22A1
    2013 Toyota Corolla S
    92 EX Sedan F22A1
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Intesting... I'm in process right now selecting components for a DIY build myself and for similar purposes. Though I'm looking at some higher end components including liquid cooling but my goals are similar.

Have you checked if your Mobo has adequate​ onboard USB headers so you will be able to connect to the case front USB panel and liquid cooling in case you upgrade later? Many new gaming mobos are not providing more than one.

Also you may want to look at PCParts Picker to verify components compatibility as well.

Just curious which CAD program you're running. I've been using mostly Acad & Solid Works but am considering a different 3D parametric modeling program like SolidEdge. Also want to evaluate video editing programs too.
      Last edited by hiptech; 05-29-2017, 07:59 PM.
      My Collection:
      93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
      00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
      04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
        Have you checked if your Mobo has adequate​ onboard USB headers so you will be able to connect to the case front USB panel and liquid cooling in case you upgrade later? Many new gaming minis are not providing more than one.

Also you may want to look at PCParts Picker to verify components compatibility as well.

Just curious which CAD program you're running. I've been using mostly Acad & Solid Works but am considering a different 3D parametric modeling program like SolidEdge. Also want to evaluate video editing programs too.
        I have checked and it at least has the USB 3.0 plug for the case front. The case has 2 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0. That's in addition to the 8 USB's on the I/O on the motherboard.

I spent a day putting together a parts list on PCParts Picker and have no compatibility issues that the website detected.

I'm working on a Design & Drafting degree and have so far taken classes with AutoCAD, Inventor, and SolidWorks. I will be using Revit/Revit MEP as well as a class with SDS/2. I like to download the programs used in the classes on my own computer so that I can work on class assignments/ extra modeling projects at home. I do plan on probably buying a license with SolidWorks to use for side projects once I get a real job. My ultimate goal is to have a small machine shop in my garage and be able to model and machine various parts for general fabrication and repair.

Look into using Creo Parametric if you haven't already. IMO it's a horrible program but the global driveshaft company I worked for the last two summers uses it, so it must not be too bad. Basically there is just a few commands that are keyed different which led to some frustration (clicking mouse wheel instead of ESC). I believe it's a Pro/E product and my understanding is that the creator of SolidWorks used to work for them and didn't like the way they were running things but I'm not entirely sure .

Comment

I too had to build a box to do some multimedia and 3D design eventually, the last time i upgraded was 2006ish with a Pentium D 930 server cpu and asus mobo.

this time i got the asrock x99 taichi, the similar x99 asus board was what i
          initially wanted but this asrock is the equivalent for the most part and was a few hundred cheaper.

rosewill 1k psu was on sale, sure why not..

reading and reading and reading then checking funds I settled for a 6gb EGA GTX 1060

now here's where i had the most hesitation and opted for an i7-6800K

16Gb X 2 ddr4 for now

I am very pleased, I was running 7 or 8 instances of NOX all streaming plutoTV channels, no glitches, monitor is @ 3840x2160
          buttery smooth
          anything ive thrown at it has been flawless, the real bottleneck now are my old drives, in a few months when high capacity ssd's are a lot cheaped ill upgrade, then bootup time should be about 30 seconds.
          editing 4k video will definitely need some of the new SATA drives, but im prepared to sit for load times.

I was playing the new Quake champions beta full swing and all was well.

windows 10 seemed to utilize the newer technology a little better then windows 7 is but thats fine with me, 64 bit of course.
          Last edited by illinois_erik; 05-29-2017, 06:59 PM.

Comment

There's been much discussion on SlickDeals regarding this build from Dell if anyone is interested:

Alienware Aurora Desktop: i7-7700, 16GB DDR4, GTX 1080 $1150 after $200 SD Rebate + Free S&H

Specs:
            I7-7700 (4.2 GHz Turbo, 8MB Cache)
            16GB DDR4 2400 MHz Ram
            Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X Graphics (selected from steps above)
            2TB 7200 RPM HDD
            Bluetooth 4.2
            7x USB 3.0 (4x Front, 3x Rear)
            1x USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2
            1x USB 3.1 Type-A Gen 2
            6x USB 2.0
            1x Display Port

Lots of debate regarding the cost differential between a DIY setup and this build. There is always so much BS to wade through regarding if it includes water cooling as shown in the pictures but disputed by some CSR chats. In the end I still feel I'd rather DIY though I must admit for many this may be a viable solution.

BTW this ends about midnight...
            My Collection:
            93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
            00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
            04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Looks great! I'd ditch the front fans, they'll just bring in dust (unless you plan on using filters).

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                Looks great! I'd ditch the front fans, they'll just bring in dust (unless you plan on using filters).
                The case has a filter on the front and bottom so I'm all set there

Comment

Working...
                X