Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

another super charger question...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Superchargers are indeed good for street performance. A turbo can make more power, but a supercharger offers a nice, smooth powerband... and there's no risk of overboosting a supercharged engine unless you stupidly add a pulley that is too small!

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
    Sneaking by here...

I'm honestly going to try this JRSC out for myself next year (or whenever the funds come together and someone's actually selling one used; busy this year with an H-swap and some suspension), so in my research I found this delicious comment on our own site from back in '06:

I have my ESP mounts at home waiting for my H swap and they're pretty damn small compared to the stockers this H23 guy appears to be using, so I'm not so worried there. There's a machine shop in town that specializes in performance muscle cars, I know they've done supercharger work, maybe they can fab up a similar-to-original bracket for the pulleys with the problematic pulleys moved just enough to clear the strut tower. A "cowl" (hood?) clearance issue is nothing. A bulge, a scoop (hey, cooling helps!), an aftermarket hood... it's easily dealt with.

Thought I'd share. I'm not doing this just for my own gain, I want to give the greater CB community real facts about this mod in a factory CB7 front end, instead of all this apparent assumption bs. It annoys me, and it keeps people from doing things when they're so quickly shot down. Plus, I may very well be the first in the country with this chassis/engine/charger combo!

... and out the back door.
    You'll also have to consider the clearance issue with the brake master cylinder.

If someone can be so easily convinced not to try something new, then they probably shouldn't be trying such a project anyway. They'd get halfway through and give up.
    There ARE clearance issues to consider. That is not BS, it is fact. Nobody has ever said that it's not possible, or that it shouldn't be attempted. If a little work scares people... then they've picked the wrong hobby! People are spoiled by perfectly engineered bolt-on kits anymore!

Anyway, I still want to attempt a roots blower mounted on the front of the engine. I know it's possible, as my buddy did it for a short time on a BB6. He undid it due to a couple problems that I'm still working through myself (engineering a secure mount, and dealing with ventiing the charge when the throttle is closed... a good BOV should take care of that!)

Comment

heat from the exhaust isnt really desirable since roots produce a lot of heat anyways. intercooler placement is ideal with the blower at the front.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

well I didnt get the cheap super but now i'm researching some other supers and ditching the idea of "cheap super setup." I like the idea and I'm wanting to try it once i get other things in line with the car. (*adds supercharger to the long list of things to do on car, or atleast dream about.) haha.

As far as location goes has anyone thought of mounting a super charger in a remote location? like under the engine or doing the civic radiator thing and mounting a super in the space that makes? the intake piping and exhaust headers would make for an interesting situation with heat and space concerns. Personally I'd much rather mess with the things that make my car move than mess with the things that make my car stop, like the master cylinder. Safety is my major concern over anything else, if not for my sake, but for the sake of anyone sharing the road with me while im driving.
        90 LX, 270,XXX miles strong!

Comment

deev, you know for a fact that our brake cylinder is in the way? The guy that says he saw the car in person didn't mention it. At least in my case this is going into a car with no ABS (smaller booster, IIRC). But we'll see what's really what when I get to a test fitting. That was just my point, though; that as far as I can find this is the only time this supercharger has ever been successfully put into our bay and it was poorly documented. Yes it happens, but not many people are willing to blow 3-4 grand on experimenting with something so rare, and therefore be able to spread the experience gained. Ever done a classroom experiment where you're arranged into a large circle, then the teacher starts a 'rumor' at one end? It never makes it's way back completely accurate. "A tight squeeze" could easily have become "needs extensive modification." I hear different things on this mod depending on where I look. It annoys me and needs straightening out.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
            heat from the exhaust isnt really desirable since roots produce a lot of heat anyways. intercooler placement is ideal with the blower at the front.
            That was very much my thinking! After owning my GTP, and seeing how difficult, expensive, and fairly ineffective it is to attempt to intercool a manifold-mounted supercharger (it IS possible... but a bitch) that the front mounted supercharger would be able to be intercooled just like a turbo. Most people thing centrifugal superchargers are the only ones that can be remote-mounted in the front... but there's no difference between that and a roots or lysholm screw style. All you have to do is turn the pulley, and feed the compressed air into the engine. The only real difference is that those types aren't really all that efficient, and running the charge through an intercooler and charge piping will most likely cause a noticeable pressure drop.

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
            deev, you know for a fact that our brake cylinder is in the way? The guy that says he saw the car in person didn't mention it. At least in my case this is going into a car with no ABS (smaller booster, IIRC). But we'll see what's really what when I get to a test fitting. That was just my point, though; that as far as I can find this is the only time this supercharger has ever been successfully put into our bay and it was poorly documented. Yes it happens, but not many people are willing to blow 3-4 grand on experimenting with something so rare, and therefore be able to spread the experience gained. Ever done a classroom experiment where you're arranged into a large circle, then the teacher starts a 'rumor' at one end? It never makes it's way back completely accurate. "A tight squeeze" could easily have become "needs extensive modification." I hear different things on this mod depending on where I look. It annoys me and needs straightening out.
            The guy with the supercharged H23A that everyone talks about had to modify his brake master cylinder. I believe he found a way to turn it sideways (an idea that never sat well with me.) I did read what he wrote, and saw a picture of it... but I can't for the life of me find it now.
            The H23A is essentially the same as an H22A in terms of size, shape, and mounting. I don't remember if the car I'm referring to had ABS, so you may be right there... a non-ABS car may not present the same problem if the supercharged H23A car had ABS.

He goes by QuickAccord93 on most forums. He hasn't been active here since 2008, sadly. He's Canadian. The video is still easily found on Youtube, but that's all I can find right now.

Comment

Sideways? There can't possibly be room, with the strut tower on one side and the blower on the other. I'll keep digging... time cannot pass by quickly enough!
              Last edited by CyborgGT; 02-13-2011, 04:41 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
              X