Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

manual transmission fluid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

manual transmission fluid question

Alright guys i plan on changing my oil and mtf( manual trans fluid) my question is it actually 10w-30/ 10w-40 motor oil

I use 10w-30 castrol. Some use Honda mtf.
    My tranny has over 500,000mi and it shifts fine.
    The choice is yours.

Steve

Comment

Don't use motor oil. Honda doesn't even recommend that anymore, though one could claim this is for nefarious reasons (like Honda just wanting your money). That said, there is plenty of evidence, most of it anecdotal I suppose (I have some first hand, as do others here) that a specially formulated fluid (like MTF, or Synchromesh) performs better than [conventional] motor oil.

Comment

I would use Honda mtf givin the choice. I had a civic tranny get stuck in 5th with motor oil in it. The exact cause of failure was never determined. I replaced it the same day and filled the next one with motor oil with no problem after that. My cb7 has had the same motor oil in it since the last clutch replacement, 100,000 miles or so, with no problems. That being said I would use Honda mtf I just never have it around.
        ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
          Don't use motor oil. Honda doesn't even recommend that anymore, ,,,,,,,.
          Does this apply to CB7s?
          Or, later/current MT models?
          Verify your source of information, please.
          A&P-IA

Comment

2 quarts of 10w-30 works just fine in all my hondas. Seems better quality oil shifts better than say, waltmart supertech

Comment

would honda mtf be considered better than using sychromesh or something like that? i know this is gonna be opinionated but just curious what yall have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
                Does this apply to CB7s?
                Or, later/current MT models?
                Verify your source of information, please.
                I tried looking for an official statement from Honda, like a TSB or such, but I couldn't find anything. The 20+ year old factory service manual states "10W-30" I believe. I could find TSBs saying to use Honda MTF in other vehicles and the like, but not specifically for our transmissions/chassis.

That said, I would be very, very surprised if you called up the dealer and asked them what kind of fluid you should use in your 4G Accord's manual transmission that they would tell you anything other than Honda MTF. I believe I could find some technical details with evidence showing that a specially formulated lubricant is better for any manual, synchronized transmission in general, but that onus is on you; I'm already convinced.

I agree with you though: I can't prove that Honda has officially stated this, which is what you asked for.

Comment

Originally posted by 91DXA1 View Post
                  would honda mtf be considered better than using sychromesh or something like that? i know this is gonna be opinionated but just curious what yall have to say.
                  synchromesh is #1. then honda mtf. then gear oil then bootleg motor oil..
                  COUPE K24

Comment

would royal purple be any good in a mt? I am just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by coltonfrostcb7 View Post
                      would royal purple be any good in a mt? I am just wondering.
                      Are you talking about just plain Royal Purple motor oil? Royal purple actually makes a tranny fluid as well.

http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/produ...mission-fluid/

I've used this on my car once upon a time when I was single and had money to blow on royal purple oil changes as well. It feels really good and my transmission noticeably shifted easier into gears......

I am the Yakuza CB7!
                      JDM 96spec H22A 178HP 149TQ

"The JDM Fleet"

1993 Accord Sedan - 2.2 JDM H22a
                      1994 Prelude V-Tec
                      1999 CL 3.0
                      2000 Prelude
                      2010 Accord Crosstour - 3.5

1993 Mirage S Sedan - 2.0 4G63 Project Evo 2.5
                      1994 Mirage S Sedan - 1.5

1991 Isuzu Impulse RS - 1.6 AWD Turbo
                      1993 Asuna - 1.8 "CDM Impulse XS"

1993 Sentra SE-R - 2.0 SR20de
                      1995 200sx SE-R - 2.0 Sr20ve

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
                        I tried looking for an official statement from Honda, like a TSB or such, but I couldn't find anything. The 20+ year old factory service manual states "10W-30" I believe. I could find TSBs saying to use Honda MTF in other vehicles and the like, but not specifically for our transmissions/chassis.

That said, I would be very, very surprised if you called up the dealer and asked them what kind of fluid you should use in your 4G Accord's manual transmission that they would tell you anything other than Honda MTF. I believe I could find some technical details with evidence showing that a specially formulated lubricant is better for any manual, synchronized transmission in general, but that onus is on you; I'm already convinced.

I agree with you though: I can't prove that Honda has officially stated this, which is what you asked for.
                        Thank you.
                        A&P-IA

Comment

The reason 10w30 is not recommended anymore is simple. In the last 20 years oil additives have changed greatly, the 10w30 you get today is not the same stuff that was around when Honda designed your transmission. Adding to this issue is the fact that every company has different additives, which is why some may work better than others.

Honda came out with their own MTF so they would have a consistent fluid to engineer transmissions around.

The general rule is this: Fill your trans with Honda MTF. If you still have grinding problems after that then you can start trying other stuff, but know that it's only really a band-aid solution.

92 Accord LX Coupe Build
                          91 Prelude H22a Build
                          91 Prelude 4WS ALB Build
                          You can't rationalize cars like these. They're not something you buy with your head, you buy them with your heart because you love them, and who can explain love?

Comment

I just run Honda MTF. It's roughly $20 for 3 quarts and you will usually have a little extra left over for top offs if you might have a leak. Everyone swears by synchromesh but a while back I came across some threads where the long term effects of it on a trans weren't very good but who knows. I used to use regular motor oil until I came across some info much like what the other guy said about additives and such changing over the years so that's why I switched to just Honda MTF.

Also on a side note if you have a pop out or grinding issue 99.9999.....% of the time fluid isn't going to mean a damn thing. Parts are worn and/or broken and need replaced. Suck it up and do it or just deal with it.
                            Last edited by 1slw4dr; 03-06-2013, 12:14 PM. Reason: I'm a dumb ass

Comment

Originally posted by 1slw4dr View Post
                              Also on a side note if you have a pop out or grinding issue 9.9999.....% of the time fluid isn't going to mean a damn thing. Parts are worn and/or broken and need replaced. Suck it up and do it or just deal with it.
                              That's less than 10%.
                              A&P-IA

Comment

Working...
                              X