Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Dirty Engine Bay? No more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ohhhhsss gotcha I'll go get that plug
    blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

Looks awesome.shit, i gotta do that to mine recently i just hosed it down real quick.it looks ok gonna hit it with simple green now thanx

Comment

Should I let it dry before I start it?

Comment

Originally posted by alekp92jdm View Post
          Should I let it dry before I start it?
          Let what dry the water? no not really you can go ahead and start it. If you're going to tire spray it let it cool off completely before you spray it and let it sit for a while after.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyG View Post
            Another thing that works well, and won't eat the paint is WD40 and a 1" paint brush. Spray WD on and agitate the grime with brush, spray more wd to "rinse". It is easiest done when the bay is empty- but WOW.
            My bay had not been touched in its entire life, and it came out wonderfully.
            This method is good for your hoses and plastic parts too.
            I was just wondering about this. I am not sure but I could be wrong. First I bought my Corolla and the paint was still good and no fading at all. I didn't have any wax and I wanted to protect the clear coat so I washed it and put WD-40 to protect until I could get some wax later in the week. A year go by and I do take good care of my cars, for those that know me, which are very few, the clear coat started to peel. Now almost the entire hood is peeled like burned dry skin.
            Well, my CB was bought 4 years ago and never a problem with the paint. It's still original paint. However, about 2 months ago, I bought a new front grilled from the junkyard and I cleaned it with WD-40. Some dropped onto the front bumper area. I wiped it off right away and wax over it as I know WD-40 will clean grease and wax off. Now the front bump began to peel in some areas. I wash my car once a week at least, quick wash some times when it's not too dirty. I wax usually once every 2 weeks. The longest between waxing is 2 months. I use Maguiar's stuffs.
            I am just wondering if the WD-40 peel the clear coat off?
            By they way, I use that Rejex stuffs recently, and wow, the car is so slick and it will not let any thing bound to the paint. It's slide right off and it shines like mad and less work too.
            Thanks.

Comment

Well I hope not. I got some WD40 overspray on my fenders. And just casually wiped it with a rag that had WD40 all over it
              Now I'm thinking I ought to wash it good and wax that area. Mamma always said, better to be safe than sorry.

^^Photos taken by me ^^

Comment

Gorgeous. I've always been scared to hose down my bay
                My 91 ex coupe
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=189841

Comment

i tried to clean mine up one day at work while i was on break, i work a a honda dealership as a lot attendant so i have access to all the stuff porters use, but i had to hurry so i didnt get it as clean as I would have liked i guess ill just go and in next time im off and use the degresser we have, maybe throw a little vinyl dressing on there to make it a littler prettier. Like stated before the engine dressing (tire shine, vinyl dressing) is so used car dealer all the cars we have that are used have spray all over the engines.

some one recommended simple green, we have something called mean green anyone know if that is safe to use? it says its an all purpose degreaser otherwise we have some purple degreaser that i used the last time

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
                    My bay regularly sees Simple Green and a pressure washer.

that pic right there makes me wanna go and pull my valve cover and clean it up and repaint it or even go pull one from a yard and do it up nice

Comment

clean engine bay. I always use LA's totally awesome you could get it at the 99 cent store for $1.69 and to bring the shine back to life i use final touch from the 3d auto detailing store

Comment

Originally posted by nowzor View Post
                        i tried to clean mine up one day at work while i was on break, i work a a honda dealership as a lot attendant so i have access to all the stuff porters use, but i had to hurry so i didnt get it as clean as I would have liked i guess ill just go and in next time im off and use the degresser we have, maybe throw a little vinyl dressing on there to make it a littler prettier. Like stated before the engine dressing (tire shine, vinyl dressing) is so used car dealer all the cars we have that are used have spray all over the engines.

some one recommended simple green, we have something called mean green anyone know if that is safe to use? it says its an all purpose degreaser otherwise we have some purple degreaser that i used the last time
                        Spray it down with degreaser, pressure wash it, blow dry or hand dry as much as you can and then use vinyl dressing on the plastic/rubber parts.

Comment

Mikey ur firewall is dirty, r u sure u r tellin us the truth about the washer and ur bay regulary seeing it
                          **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                          Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                          Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

so we can use wd-40 instead of tire shine?
                            Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve. –Napoleon Hill

Members ride Thread

Instagram: IbSprintin

Comment

If you use a good degreaser or cleaner, you don't even need a pressure washer. I used a garden hose that didn't even have a head attachment, just used my thumb

I just used some random heavy duty cleaner from the auto store. Put it in a bucket with a little bit of water, it soaps up and I applied it with an old car wash sponge. Then just rinsed it off.
                              I then used an engine degreaser. Which of course dried everything up, so later I sprayed WD40 on a rag and wiped down everything in the bay. It gave everything (even the block) a natural looking shine. Not glossy, just nice and clean looking.
                              It also turned the rubber black again, but more than that I think a dried out hose would be more prone to cracking. Yes, WD40 removes moisture. But (correct me if I'm wrong) I think the rubber will absorb the lubricant from the WD40, which will keep it nice and soft/pliable and help it last longer.

Never at any point did I cover anything in my engine bay. With water flowing gently out of the hose, I didn't have a problem. Now, I did try to avoid hitting the alternator and dizzy and fuse box with water any more than was necessary to just rinse it off. But they definitely got wet.

Hope that answers a few questions! (and hope it all makes sense)

I'd had about 5 big ol' tall cans of Guinness, so I didn't want to go get my expensive camera to take a picture, haha. Phone pics didn't really work out in the dimly lit underground garage (apartments). And unfortunately I never took any photos before when it was dirty. If I remember (which I usually don't) I'll snap a pic this afternoon.

Waaay Funny thing is, while taking it for a spin down the street afterwards (live next to a river and the road just goes to the wharf, no through-traffic.) I saw this car doing dohnuts at the end of one of the roads. As I went down, got pulled over by an unmarked police car from behind. Then the car doing dohnuts came over and he was an unmarked too!
                              Gave him my licence and then passed the freakin breath test! Wooo! Had a headlight out too and my residential address hadn't been updated. He didn't believe my story that I had just washed it (which I did after the cleaning engine bay), because there was dirt and mud all over the car. I didn't tell him that I had been pulling 180s with the E-brake and spinning the front wheels on the wet roads. No speeding, just tossing the car around on empty roads at low speeds! (It had rained earlier in the day)

I know what you're thinking, why would you drive around wet roads going sideways if you just washed it? Well, like I said, 5 Guinness.

Sh*t that was a long post.. Sorry. lol.

^^Photos taken by me ^^

Comment

Oh, and if you want to shine it up more than the WD40 does - rather than tyre shine, I would recommend some 'interior detailer'. Even just some Armor All Interior Detailer if you don't want to waste the Mothers or Meguiars in the engine bay. Reason being that they protect against UV rays and what not. I know that's what a bonnet/hood is for but it just seems like a better option than tyre shine for longevity. Just a suggestion

^^Photos taken by me ^^

Comment

Working...
                                X