Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What other things to get when replacing tranny and clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
    You can't really see the clutch disk from the bottom even with the inspection plate removed. What you can do is take it off quick and wipe your finger around the bell housing. If it comes back black and semi oily then your rear main seal is leaking.

You might be able to see the condition of the clutch disk through the inspection hole on the front of the block by the engine code stamp. You might have to rotate the engine though to get to a spot on the pressure plate that lifts away from the flywheel so you can actually see the disk in the middle. If you can see it, then look for how much of the pads are left on the disk itself. This isn't the best gauge but it will give you an idea.

On one of my clutches I noticed this disk material on one side was only about 2-3 sheets of paper thick. I stopped driving the car immediately and changed the clutch.
    Am at a crossroads as far as this goes. Am trying to find the mechanics phone number so i can see what we bought at autozone. If i did replace the clutch i doubt i want to spend 300 more dollars doing clutch,flywheel and seal. Though i know my flywheel isn't perfect as i get clutch chatter coming out of first gear sometimes. SO am more leaning towards replacing everything and be done with it and happy(except for spending the money). If it was just replacing Tranny i think i can and will do it. Tranny with clutch,flywheel and rear seal am not sure i want to do it. Am going to have to jack up car and take out that plate first i think.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
      Plate at the bottom of housing is #1 in the diagram; it is right next to the end of the oil pan.

The rear main seal does seal engine oil. If it is leaking and getting on the clutch plates and/or flywheel, it could cause issues.

A leaking clutch master cylinder (separate issue from rear main seal, both may come with age) may result in the fluid being too low to properly operate the clutch, causing issues when trying to disengage/engage it.
      Do you know if #1 is just cover to keep junk off the flywheel or adds structural integrity? (If structural, do you know where I can get one?)

Comment

Raf the inspection covers don't add any structural rigidity. They are just a stamped steel plate.

The only way to reinforce the bottom half of the connection is to get the H22A4 aluminum oil pan and the transmission stiffener plate and bolt them together.
        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Raf the inspection covers don't add any structural rigidity. They are just a stamped steel plate.

The only way to reinforce the bottom half of the connection is to get the H22A4 aluminum oil pan and the transmission stiffener plate and bolt them together.
          Thanks man. I've never seen this plate before and never will now (don't plan on buying one). I thought this was it which looks like it added some form of structural....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/97-01-HONDA...UAAOSwYxBaHyQl

Comment

That is the actual stiffener plate that you linked. You just have to have the oil pan to go with it.
            MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

That is the actual stiffener plate that you linked. You just have to have the oil pan to go with it.
              Weird, i've never seen one of these before.

Comment

Working...
              X