INT: Inoperable Power Door Lock Problem Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Inoperable Power Door Lock Problem Solution

My 90 Accord LX power door locks were not working for about a year until I fixed it recently.

Symptoms:

When pressing either left or right door lock switch, a "clicking" sound is heard from the drivers door area, but the door locks do not operate. This also happens when pressing down the drivers door lock.

What is happening:

The clicking sound are the relays switching within the power door lock control unit.

Solution:

Since the clicking sound occurs, it means a possible problem with the control unit. This needs to be confirmed. The power door lock control unit is located in the drivers door (for the 90/91 Accords). I had access to it when the window motor was being replaced.

Before removing the unit, disconnect the wire harness and perfrom the trouble shooting procedure:
    http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/AccordM...400/16-228.pdf

If you follow the procedure, the door locks will operate. This means the power door lock control unit is faulty, but may not need replacement.

Remove the door lock unit pcb from the enclosure.

Here is the top side:

Here is the bottom side:

I have made some notes on the photo.

On the bottom side, there are some solder joints that are worn out, mostly where the white relays contact. Resolder those worn joints with new solder.
    Examine all the solder joints for any other worn out ones.
    Reconnect the wire harness and hopefully it should work. The troubleshooting procedure listed in the link should point what other compoent can be bad. The power door lock control unit costs $150, so try this before replacing it.

Let me know if it works!
    Last edited by fac90; 05-18-2005, 11:57 PM.

My passenger side door switch does not work but I could lock it from the driver side do u think I have the same problem?

Comment

yah sounds like a good idea i might try that one my car

Comment

Originally posted by crazystdriver
        My passenger side door switch does not work but I could lock it from the driver side do u think I have the same problem?

It coud be the door lock control unit because it has two lock inputs and two unlock outputs for the left and right doors. Do you hear a clicking sound when you press the pass. door lock switch?

Comment

Sweet DIY man, very nice. Its aweosme that you have all the facts and pics right next to one another. Makes for a very easy and clean DIY. Thanks for the posting!
          Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

No I don't hear nothing it's like there's no power

Comment

Originally posted by crazystdriver
              No I don't hear nothing it's like there's no power
              It coud be a bad passenger door lock switch. If it works from the drivers side, it means the passenger side actuator is good. If I understand correctly, the only problem is the door locks do not work when pressing the pass. door lock switch, but all door locks operate? This means the door lock control unit is fine. The pass. door lock switch is bad, but needs to be confirmed by the troubleshooting procedure.

Comment

I'm going to try my freinds door lock and see what I could find out thanx 4 the help

Comment

Door lock actuator

I literally just got done replacing my door lock actuator. It was a little time consuming trying to line of the rods and transferring to the working actuator. Other than that, no more reaching over to unlock pass. dr.

Comment

Which solder points are the ones that would be worn out? and what does a worn out solder point look like?
                    what do you call 2 lebs in an accord?

Organized Crime

Comment

could you make the pics or notes on the pics bigger cuz i cant read them

Originally posted by fizzbob7
                      first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
                      Originally posted by ACC0RD22
                      no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
                      So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

Just look at the solder joints that hold the white relays and the connector in place. If it doesn't look shiny, it is most likely worn out and needs resoldering.
                        Take your time and retest it the unit, its better than spending $150.

I will try to increase the photo size. Look at the last photo of the bottom of the board, see that solder joint that is very shiny near the notes. That one was bad and fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by fac90
                          Just look at the solder joints that hold the white relays and the connector in place. If it doesn't look shiny, it is most likely worn out and needs resoldering.
                          Take your time and retest it the unit, its better than spending $150.

I will try to increase the photo size. Look at the last photo of the bottom of the board, see that solder joint that is very shiny near the notes. That one was bad and fixed.
                          Also, look for cracks in the solder joints, I had a crack in the solder joint of a relay, re-soldered it and it works like a charm
                          what do you call 2 lebs in an accord?

Organized Crime

Comment

Reviving the thread....

Ok, I thought this would cure my problem but it didnt so it must be the actuators. But my question is, were the 2dr and 4dr cars equipped with different types of door lock control units? The pics that are posted at the beginning of the thread do no look like the one I purchased, mine looks like **see pics**
                            Also mine is a 4dr and I never took the control box apart, I just swapped the boxes and saw that it didnt change anything but it made it worse, none of my locks worked. I just want to know if I have picked up the wrong one for my car so I can sell it and be able to tell the buyer exactly what it fits.
                            Thanks

-1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
                            -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                            -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
                            -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Most likely the coupe and sedans have different door lock control units because of the rear doors. The photos I posted are from a 90 sedan. Its quite possible that the units changed from different years. You need to see if the acutators work by applying +12V to the leads. I still think the unit is bad and resoldering a few connections will correct it. Let me know the results.

Comment

Working...
                              X