This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your definition of success?

I know this is a vague question, but I'm curious to see what the answers are.
    What do you guys (and girls) consider to be a proper indicator of success? Education? Physical condition? Home ownership? Career placement? Travel experience? Romantic/sexual conquest? Public notoriety? Something else?

As lame as it sounds, to me, cars are the definition of success. I know quite well that a car is a terrible investment, and many successful people drive cars that don't announce their status (to my knowledge, Jeff Goldblum still drives the Land Rover that was given to him for being in Jurassic Park!) Still, I seem to define MY OWN success by the cars I can afford, or want to afford. When I have a certain income, based on my career achievements and education, I have certain cars that I'd expect to afford.

When I drive through a particular neighborhood (looking for a house in the next few years), I look at the cars before anything else. I judge the neighborhood based on the cars the residents drive.

I'd say it's subjective, and that's is more a mind state than physical qualities or ownership. If you're comfortable, and doing what you want to do with your life, and can support yourself and family, then I think that's pretty successful.

Sure, being able to afford a nice car is something that says you're successful in your career, but not always. I see people in new BMW 5-Series that work part time at Kroger.

If you live happily and comfortable. That is success to me.

Comment

Success by my standards is waking up not thinking/wishing you were doing something else and you have enough money to afford what you want, in reason of vise. I used to show off my Charger as a status symbol, but after a recent purchase I think I'm going to dump it for a Neon lol. Having a 40k car was cool and all, but not worth the money. A gallon of milk cost the same regardless what you make. I've also recently learned that spending money on experience is better than things. If you can afford to travel, do it. You'll never regret it.
      '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

I got the girl I love. my CB which I enjoy driving. and my job that I love going to. I consider myself successful

someday I'll have my own little family, I can't wait.

Comment

i believe success is a measurement of goals achieved. If you are accomplishing your goals that you set for your self then you are successful.
          CB7TUNER.com
          Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

I believe and define success as:
            1. First making the choice to accept Jesus Christ as my savior, admitting I can never save myself or find true happiness through money, possessions, relationships with other people, etc.
            2. Carrying out the plan God has for me to share the love of Christ with others using my gifts and going through doors God has opened.
            *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
            ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
            ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
            "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
            Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
            The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
            Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

^^^
              That's a big one there. Once you're happy with nothing, then everything else is just icing.

I would have to say success is utilizing my strengths and talents to their fullest and encouraging others to do the same.
              Lifting up my brothers and sisters in the world.

My big personal goal is to be able to do PCB design quickly and accurately. That comes with experience though.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                I see people in new BMW 5-Series that work part time at Kroger.
                Lol, that was almost me. My last apartment I went after specifically because it was dirt cheap - I coincidentally work for Kroger, have been there long enough to top out my pay scale, and one week's check was more than enough to cover rent. Especially after my student loan was paid off, I had so much spending money. It was tempting to ditch the RSX and get a brand new car, I could afford something pretty nice (according to popular social standards, if not my own taste) if I actually wanted it... if I wanted people to judge me solely by my car, anyway.

If you live happily and comfortable. That is success to me.
                I agree with this. If I can pay my bills, live in a comfortable house (my standards there aren't all that high; middle-class suits me just fine) and still have enough money left over to fund my hobbies well, I would think myself "successful." I could always find ways to spend more money if I were rich, but I'm not honestly after that.

After losing interest in my last career plan, I have another. It's a couple years off before I go after it, but I have it thought out and I'm pretty sure it's something I'd actually enjoy. For now, I'm happy where I'm at and with how I'm doing financially.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I think being happy is a big part of being successful. I live in a nice part of town, have a nice, considering my age, engineering job, yet I'm not really happy.

I really wish I had more friends to spend time with, I don't really care too much about the cars I drive, since I could easily afford a new Mustang GT, but I still cruise around in a 92 Sedan and 93 Accord coupe lol

I think being by myself has its advantages, my life is a lot less stressful, but it gets pretty lonely not having other people around me. Sorta wish I was back in College again.

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Success

I did some thinking, and since my handle has the term 'Success' in it, I guess I should know definition.

By definition, success is:

- the correct or desired result of an attempt.
                    - the accomplishment of an aim or purpose.
                    - the fact of getting or achieving wealth, respect, or fame.
                    - the attainment of popularity or profit.

With that mentioned, Success, can be translated in to many accomplishment by different individuals.

I define success in many different ways. My idea of success basically stays the same although I sometimes find adding a new goal or dream to my life to become more successful.

In short, the following list is how I see things in my mind:

Simple Success:

- Always being honest and true to one's self.
                    - Showing a genuine care and/or interest for other people's needs/wants/feelings.
                    - As a result of the first two, gaining respect from others in a genuinely true manner.

Individual Success

- Having great health, and maintaining your health responsibly.
                    - Living righteously and honestly in world filled with corruption, hate, selfishness, and greed.
                    - Finding sustainable income to survive which will not impact the lives of others in a negative manner.
                    - Helping another person when in need without the thought of compensation as a result of that help.
                    - Being able to provide daily necessities (food, shelter, clothing, etc.) for yourself and/or those you're responsible for.
                    - To be at peace and find joy within one's self when one is by themselves. Basically self preservation, self worth, and individual happiness.

Personal Success

- The points listed above, plus...
                    - The ability to keep God in my life as a provider, a healer, a father, a navigator, and so much more.
                    - To be able to enjoy life, travel, and constantly learn until I die.
                    - Financial freedom and comfort.
                    - To have some big kid/man toys to have fun with (cars/bikes/boats/planes ).
                    - Eventually a God fearing, good hearted, internally and externally beautiful woman to be my wife.
                    - Build real friendships that last.
                    - Do something for mankind that changes the world for the better.
                    - This list continually grows.
                    Last edited by Straight Success; 07-05-2015, 12:51 PM.
                    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

knowledge, experience and skill sets.

you can see in this thread how human beings like to brag about themselves. the question wasn't about what you have achieved but your definition of it. plus, my list would be too long...
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Success varies by individual.

I am successful, but you might not feel successful in the same shoes.
                        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                          Success varies by individual.

I am successful, but you might not feel successful in the same shoes.
                          Which is why I'm asking. I'm curious to see what the individual definitions are among those that answer.
                          Nobody has a wrong answer. It is all 100&#37; personal.

Some people may never make more than $40,000 a year... but they may have a happy, loving family. To them, their financial status may have absolutely nothing to do with success.
                          Some people may not consider themselves a success unless they make $500,000/yr. Family, relationships, knowledge... none of that may truly matter to them.
                          Some may be purely academic. Success may be based on nothing more than the sum of their knowledge, and pursuing greater knowledge is the pursuit of greater success to them. They may place little value on social or economic success.

In my own example, I use cars as my gauge of success. Granted, the cars are merely indicative of varying degrees of economic success and personal growth. I won't consider myself successful if I have a $250,000 Ferrari parked in the driveway of my $100,000 house!
                          However, the various milestones of my own success are marked by the cars I can afford. For example, I truly want a Factory Five Racing 33 Hotrod kit car. In total, the car will end up costing between $30,000 and $40,000. Not a massive investment... but it's a toy. Although I've been doing well for myself over the past few years (this year being an exception, as I've shifted gears to make a career change...) I haven't been in a position to enjoy a luxury like that fairly expensive and thoroughly impractical vehicle. To me, that is my next milestone. To me, I will have achieved the next level of success by the time I can afford that kit car.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                            knowledge, experience and skill sets.

you can see in this thread how human beings like to brag about themselves. the question wasn't about what you have achieved but your definition of it. plus, my list would be too long...
                            Most people think a collection of materials that not everyone has or can afford is the definition of successful. I mean if you watch tv long enough, you'll eventually see whole entire episodes about "wealthy" and "successful" people who have terrible attitudes and outlooks on life. I see it on my limited social networking all the time.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              I won't consider myself successful if I have a $250,000 Ferrari parked in the driveway of my $100,000 house!
                              ... I would . But then cars are my greatest interest in life, as sad as that probably sounds. Hey, we all have something. If I was wealthy, I'd totally have a small, functionally-sized house with a big garage. It's like my taste in cars: I don't like luxury models because it's too much 'extra stuff' that I don't need. Too much space, too much tech, too many interior features. I have the same view towards living conditions. I don't even have a smart phone because apps and all that are too much for me; it annoys me how much I see other people staring at their phones.

wed3k, I can see your comment on bragging being aimed at my 'rent in a week' remark. If you dont know, Kroger is a chain of grocery stores and gas stations. I have nothing to brag about when it comes to typical thoughts of success. I was just trying to relate just how pathetic my old place was. About $475/mo all in, lol.
                              Last edited by CyborgGT; 07-06-2015, 03:15 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                              X